A question for all snow rats out there

White Mongoose

Green Belt
Reaction score
I've been looking into some snow activities. One thing I notice is, lot of workers who work in snow use ski instead of snowboard. This got me curious, why do they use ski?

Also are there any big difference in skiing and snowboarding? Can ski go to more places and do more things than snowboard? Or is skiing just easier than snowboarding?

I live in a state where we get quite a bit of snow/have some pretty harsh winters. My recommendation would be making snow men and snow angels.

skiing gives you the ability to unclip faster and it allows you more mobility in certain situations, imo.

Also, I just think it's more.

Skiing is way way better. You can go anywhere in skis with the right setup. I do a lot of ski touring and ski mountaineering. You don't need a ski lift or gondola, and can get fresh tracks all day.

Hm... Thanks for the input Tomax. That just make me leans toward ski way more. I love the way snowboard look and think it look much cooler and more "hip" for lack of better word. However I have wanderlust and get curious easily so I know I'd just drift away from skiing/snowboard frequently, so that give me more reason to go with ski as it seems more fun to me.
But I still do want to give snowboard a try. Just want to decide on which one to pick up first.

Where do you live and how far from the mtns are you? Try both. Snowboarding initially is very difficult because the nature of the falls but once you "get it" the learning curve is much quicker. Skiing is great too, its really your personal preference.

I live just north from Sacramento. Irony... No snow here lol. But it seems like about half of people here have a snowboard (I wonder how many actually do it though :icon_neut) I'm about a hour and half drive away from a mountain with snow (not a great one but... it is still a snowy mountain) and about two or three hours away from some good place.

OH! And before anyone say I'd probably just go once or twice. Actually no because I work seasonal job, so when I'm not working, I got a lot of times to kill. And as of now, I have been extremely busy going out to rock climbing, mountain biking, and other things about two or three times a week.
So yeah, the time isn't a issue for me.

Snow shoe out to a lake or pond, ice fish bring some supplies make a fire have a cook up make a day out of it and enjoy nature.

I grew up skiing as a kid, then gradually transitioned to snowboarding over my teen years but did both for awhile. Now I'm a boarder only (mostly because I don't have any skiing gear anymore).

Skiing is probably better for your average mountain/hill, mainly because it's easier to handle moguls and icy conditions as a beginner to intermediate level rider...and most mountains have some of both the above. For me, snowboarding is way more fun when you've got deep powder conditions, because you float and turn more effortlessly. Boarding is also more fun in terrain parks (rails, boxes, kickers) and spinning on a board is just way cooler than spinning on skis (sorry skiers, but so true).

So your choice really, depending on what conditions you've got where you live and what sorts of hills/mountains. It's harder to learn boarding on your own though, so if you don't know any snowboarders who can show you how to get better, I'd say learn how to ski first.

LMAO! Used to snowshoes for work. Can't exactly say I'm a fan of it any more. But thanks for recommendation.

Good point. Snowboard seems to be more toward fun while ski seems to be more functional. Guess ski is definitely the way to go for me, plus that should allows me to meet some snowboarders who may will eventually show me the rope.

I justed moved to fort drum ny looking for snow shoes. Any advice on which to get

White Mongoose, splitboards are also an option for those who like snowboarding, but still want to be able to go uphill or enjoy the fresh snow outside of lift-serviced ski hills. However, if you're just starting out, I would go with skis. My ski-boots also work well with my crampons, so I can ski up to otherwise hard to access ice, and then do some ice-climbing and mountaineering.

Either way, pay for a lesson at a cheaper hill or mountain first. Don't go straight to Squaw Valley or another expensive mountain because you won't have the skill to explore the whole mountain at first. Get to the point where you can move around with some confidence, then go out to one of the more challenging resorts.

Is splitboard even reliable? I tend to be very skeptic of anything like that. It is just it seems like most things that have two purpose in one tend to be really crappy (Ie; hybrid bike)
But I think I'd stick to ski at first then move onto snowboard.

Advice for snowshoes; just make sure you can walk in it fairly easily and it secure to your feet firmly. I've used old fashion one and modern one. Old fashion one really SUCK! The worst part is, it is hard to secure it on tightly then every time you lift your foot, you have to lift your boots up then you can feel the snowshoe being stuck in snow and you have to lift it up by the straps on your feet! Sound like no big deal but it is a major pain in the ass. That's one reason I developed strong dislike toward snowshoes.

I know some very proficient splitboarders. The product itself is reliable, but you're right, it'll never be as good as skis or as good as a snowboard. I learned on a splitboard and converted to skis. Again, I would just start on skis. If you want to be able to tour and get away from the lifts, I would suggest Dynafit bindings.

Thanks for the input. If I'm even in your area, I'll hit you up so we can go do some skiing :D

Back