A odd case of having man flu, HICT and coming back to running

Ian Coe

Silver Belt
Professional Fighter
Reaction score
Right

I was getting back into training after August. Got out about 7 weeks all in. I started on a general conditioning block and had done I think 3 weeks into training block b (the third week I added in 2 heavy threshold sessions while starting on the 5/3/1 method and already doing 2 HICT session of 15 minutes on, 5 off, 15 on) when surprise surprise I got man flu.
Anywho, I had some achilles tendon issues from maybe the 3rd week into it from a thai boxing related injury. Me being me, carried on for 2 weeks. Long story short, I haven't done any running since August so as to let the thing heal.
Went running last Thursday in my vibrams, keeping the HR sub 150 and just did 2 miles as I think I still had the virus in me.
I went for a relaxing run (again sub 150) on Sunday to see how I was feeling as I've entered a 15 cross country thing at the end of November. Now it might be the rest (6 days of monging it), but I was coasting around 8 min 29 (8 min 16 average moving time). Nothing spectacular, but considering no running for 6 or so weeks and for those week my major cardio was eliptical work and HICT, I was quite surprised to keep that pace with that HR.

For any HICT users, has anyone found it influenced their running pace/lower leg workouts.

You can easily improve the oxidative abilities of the fast twitch fibers in the legs while maintaing at the very least, the same abilities in the slow twitch fibers with HICT and the elliptical work with that was probably enough to maintain cardiovascular abilities. Sounds like it worked well to me, that's what it should be doing.

Thanks for coming back to respond to the thread Joel.

I'm surprised mainly because I was bimbling along at around a 8 min 50 mile run keeping my HR sub 150 using just the eliptical work. However after the HICT and rest, it had dropped to around 8 min 29, 8 min 10 excluding stops (good old garmin forerunner) after my second 'lets see how this goes' run.
All of this is in my vibrams.

I have hell runner in about 4 weks time, so I'm pretty keen now to get the HICT work back on board.

Side note- I ran to work in my vibrams this morning and coasted along at 9 minutes 10 on average with a backpack (With change of clothes and food as I ran into work) on including a 1 mile 20-30 degree hill en route. Very impressed with 2 weeks worth of HICT work and the adaption it brought on.

Yes, it can be very effective. Not sure if you saw the research link someone posted on my site awhile back on cyclists, but they basically used an HICT type protocol and saw some very impressive improvements even though they were in-season. I can't remember the exact numbers but they were substantial, it's the only direct research I've seen using this type of method as I described in the book.

I've also literally seen guys take 1 minute or more off a 1.5 mile run time even without doing much running at all while using HICT. In my experience, you'll likely see about 6 weeks worth of solid improvements when you start using the method and then they'll start to taper off. Go from HICT for about 6 weeks ----> CPI twice a week for 2-3 weeks and I can guarantee you'll be impressed with the results.

Yes, it can be very effective. Not sure if you saw the research link someone posted on my site awhile back on cyclists, but they basically used an HICT type protocol and saw some very impressive improvements even though they were in-season. I can't remember the exact numbers but they were substantial, it's the only direct research I've seen using this type of method as I described in the book.

I've also literally seen guys take 1 minute or more off a 1.5 mile run time even without doing much running at all while using HICT. In my experience, you'll likely see about 6 weeks worth of solid improvements when you start using the method and then they'll start to taper off. Go from HICT for about 6 weeks ----> CPI twice a week for 2-3 weeks and I can guarantee you'll be impressed with the results.

I did see it in fact while perusing your forums. I think monger posted it originally.
The annoying thing was I got struck down with the man flu, if not phase b still really had 2 more weeks (at which point I was hoping for 2 x 20 minute sets with 5 minutes rest).
On what you just described above, would that be inclusive for 5 normal standup sessions, or exclusively 2-3 HICT (with some LSD work thrown in for volume on other days) and then 2 x CPI (again with LSD for volume on other days).
My Stand up sessions are about once a week at the moment (actually for a while).

Cheers
Ian

edit- nice av

If you're only doing 1 stand up a week you can probably increase the volume of LSD and HICT a bit, but not much more is really necessary. If you're getting in 5 solid days of training, let's say 2 LSD for volume and 2 HICT and then 1 day of stand up I'd expect you to see solid improvements. I'd start incorporating some HRI and then the CPI after 4-6 weeks in place of one of the HICT and 1 of the LSD. After 2-3 weeks of that I'd expect you to see very good results. If you've got something you're training for in 4 weeks, I'd just start incorporating CPI a little earlier, try to get at least 3 sessions of them in before then or so.

Thanks on the av, don't know why I never uploaded one earlier.

If you're only doing 1 stand up a week you can probably increase the volume of LSD and HICT a bit, but not much more is really necessary. If you're getting in 5 solid days of training, let's say 2 LSD for volume and 2 HICT and then 1 day of stand up I'd expect you to see solid improvements. I'd start incorporating some HRI and then the CPI after 4-6 weeks in place of one of the HICT and 1 of the LSD. After 2-3 weeks of that I'd expect you to see very good results. If you've got something you're training for in 4 weeks, I'd just start incorporating CPI a little earlier, try to get at least 3 sessions of them in before then or so.

Thanks on the av, don't know why I never uploaded one earlier.

Good good.

I was doing a silly number before I was ill. LSD on a Monday, weights and HICT in the morning and mt in the evening on Tuesday, Intervals after 5 weeks on the Wednesday, LSD Thursday, Friday weights and HICT, Saturday hill runs and Sunday LSD. Rest days thrown in as and when.
All in all 2 HICT twice a week, LSD 2-3 times, Weights twice a week, stand up once a week and intervals in the last week twice.
I'm a nightmare for volume. I think I got overkeen to keep the volume up after training phase a when I entered into phase b of the general conditioning block.

I'll incorporate what you've suggested next week Joel (starting Monday) to get ready for the off road 12 miler at the end of November. I think weights will be done twice a week, but just to get back into it rather then pushing myself (in preparation for a strength phase probably in the 5/3/1 form until my numbers are back to a semi respectable level).

Many thanks for in the input.

edit- At least you've bothered with a av :p now

Just go get yourself an itouch, it's not that expensive and it will work with that. It will also be available on Android phones by beginning of next year.

Don't get me started on Iphones.

I'll wait until it is on android :p.

A quick pestering question if you will.
You mentioned 3 sessions of CPI.
Due to the nature of the event (at least a 2 hour slog because of the terrain), would working the lactic acid system prove much benefit (due to the intensity and lower volume it would bring about in a weeks training), compared to working for longer at higher heart rates in a sustainable fashion.
Apologies, as mentioned I'm a fan of the old volume. I looked over CPI in the book during the weekend and the volume of 20-40 seconds with 1-4 minutes rest for sets and then active rest, rinse and repeat is an odd approach for the demands of the event.

I think your response really should be 'read it again and inwardly digest' :D.

Back