A new workout and some questions

Strat

White Belt
Reaction score
After spending almost a year as a couch potato, finally I'm back to training. Unfortunately I found out that a year of laziness takes alot from a person.

So I've been trying to design a workout routine with my limited knowledge... while trying to pay attention to stuff like push/pull exercises, muscle imbalance, compound exercises etc. Anyway, here's what I got so far. This is a short term workout... to get me in a reasonable shape and strenght.

Workout A :
Push Ups
Horizontal Pull Up
Deadlift with DB
Lunges
V-Up
Oblique Crunch

Workout B :
Hindu Push Ups
Chin Up / Pull Up
Squats
Calf Raise
Hanging Leg Raise
Side Bend with DB

And week would look like :
Day 01 - Workout A
Day 02 - GPP + Shadow Boxing
Day 03 - Rest
Day 04 - Workout B
Day 05 - GPP + Shadow Boxing
Day 06 - Rest
Day 07 - Running or swimming when available.

My goal at the moment is getting some of my strength and endurance back and hopefully losing some fat along the way. I'm planning to start using DB's for exercises like squats, lunges etc once it starts to feel easy.

Now to the questions...
- Is this a balanced workout routine? Should I go 3 days of workout X and 1 day of GPP instead?
- Should I do it as circuit, or supersets ?
- Are hindus or divebombers considered as horizontal push? Or should I go with Dips or some other exercise?
- Any suggestions?

ps: Training log section looked like the proper place to post this. Sorry if I was mistaken. This will eventually turn into a training log though.

Change the title of your thread to a training log title and a mod will probably move this to the training logs for you.

Here is a quick article on periodization:Periodization Good info fot someone starting out and for setting up your goals in the immediate future.

"Phase 1: General Physical Preparation (GPP)
The initial stage of training consists of general preparatory or general conditioning exercises to strengthen all the major muscles and joints and develop the functional systems of the body such as the cardiovascular and nervous systems. This period prepares you for the intense training that follows. In addition, GPP is used for rehabilitation and strengthening or bringing up lagging muscles or deficiencies in technique. The work in this period is general in nature so that the athlete doesn

Thanks for the info. I'll be reading it. Initially I was planning to start with "infinite intensity". But it seemed a little advanced for me. So I'm struggling with trying to make a basic routine to get me started.

And yeah, I live in istanbul.

Infinite Intensity is a good start, actually. Ross occasionally mentions ways to make the workouts more realistic for beginner's. Never Gymless also has some milder GPP work for beginners.

Back