Media A look at Sergei Pavlovich's career so far

I would fucking love to see Sergei/Gane. Would be one hell of an interesting clash of strikers.

Dude wasn't even rocked, so he wasn't even close to being in Bolivia yet. Maybe he was on the plane heading there but waiting for it to take flight.
Yes. agree.

But Lewis already gave out. Next time he should save the controversy and just tap like Bob Sapp

If he can get up off his back if taken down/dropped... then he'll always have a chance to win the title. But wrestlers like Stipe, Blaydes and his hellbows, JJ and his submissions, even giant Ngannou improving so much he turned the tide vs Gane by utilizing takedowns and control... it can get dicey. But against strikers like Tai, he for sure might do what BB couldn't do, and put his lights out.

I haven't seen much of his video footage. Sergei is big, athletic, powerful, fast/quick, seems to have good footwork, very active and throws combinations so he is able to overwhelm opponents. Has a wrestling / sambo base, so he should be able to handle strikers and grapplers. Also seems to have a good fight IQ and he knows when to press or become the counter-punch and then go on the attack after he lands something substantial. My only complaint is that he often throws wide looping punches which is ok when you are the superior fighter or your opponent is damaged or covering up. But throwing wide vs. someone technical like Gane is a recipe for getting blasted with a solid counter punch while wide open.
yeah he's quite the marauder and I do love the guy but I don't see him beating Gane UNLESS Sergei wrestles and Gane's TDD is still not up to par

That was a good victory for the Reem.
Used his experience and kept his chin intact.
I cheered like little girl when Reem got that W. Sadly the coming title run was in vain

Big fight for him this weekend. Been a big fan before the UFC and said he's gonna do big things once he got signed. Going to be interesting to see him vs the top guys at HW now. I personally see Sergei with the belt end of 2023 or by mid 2024

Athletically he's fantastic, 6'3 255lbs with an 83in reach, maybe the divisions fastest hands and legitimate power. He has a solid wrestling and Sambo base but I haven't seen it tested or used a ton and his cardio is for sure decent from what I remember in his Fight Night Global days (Mokhnatkin being one of his best wins to date).

He's also very young for a heavyweight, he lost to Overeem at only 26 in his UFC debut and he's now only 30, he has 4-6 years of prime left at Heavyweight. He hasn't really been tested vs the top of the division yet but I have had my eye on him as a potential champion for years. That said, his game still kinds lacks refinement and focus compared to guys like Gane, Blaydes and Aspinall and prior guys like Cormier, Stipe, JDS, Cain etc. We've seen him be the hammer a whole lot but he gets wild and hasn't been tested under pressure much. Still a lot of questions.

I think he smashes Tai, hes just athletically so so superior and his punching is so much faster and crisper but I'll be watching his defense and refinement a lot in the striking to see if he's continued to sharpen and grow as a fighter still. I think he could give N'Gannou real trouble honestly (I still favor NGannou), but I wonder how he'd fair vs Gane or Blaydes, they both would test him in big ways.
Very nice breakdown, thank you for posting. I feel he was pretty damn good before making it to the UFC, but getting matched against Overeem so early was a rough deal. With that said, i feel that he is a significantly improved fighter since that fight and I look forward to seeing how he stacks up in 2022 against the upper level. Tai Tuivasa isn't a bad match up at all for him. You seem to have followed him a lot more than I did, so it's nice to hear a solid breakdown for him.

Athletically he's fantastic, 6'3 255lbs with an 83in reach, maybe the divisions fastest hands and legitimate power. He has a solid wrestling and Sambo base but I haven't seen it tested or used a ton and his cardio is for sure decent from what I remember in his Fight Night Global days (Mokhnatkin being one of his best wins to date).

He's also very young for a heavyweight, he lost to Overeem at only 26 in his UFC debut and he's now only 30, he has 4-6 years of prime left at Heavyweight. He hasn't really been tested vs the top of the division yet but I have had my eye on him as a potential champion for years. That said, his game still kinds lacks refinement and focus compared to guys like Gane, Blaydes and Aspinall and prior guys like Cormier, Stipe, JDS, Cain etc. We've seen him be the hammer a whole lot but he gets wild and hasn't been tested under pressure much. Still a lot of questions.

I think he smashes Tai, hes just athletically so so superior and his punching is so much faster and crisper but I'll be watching his defense and refinement a lot in the striking to see if he's continued to sharpen and grow as a fighter still. I think he could give N'Gannou real trouble honestly (I still favor NGannou), but I wonder how he'd fair vs Gane or Blaydes, they both would test him in big ways.

One thing I like about him is that he seems keenly aware of his range at all times. It's very apparent in his fight with Lewis -- Sergei shows total composure as he calmly sits there just beyond Derrick's reach and clobbers him in that exchange against the fence, keeping him at the end of his punches while Lewis swings at air. It's so refreshing to see a Heavyweight with his physical gifts IRT to the ape index who actually knows how to use it rather than, say, Stefan Struve who wants to make everything a brawl inside the pocket.

That said, I do agree with your second paragraph, too. We've seen him be either the hammer or the nail and nowhere in between. I'd like to see how he handles adversity inside the cage and if he can fight his way through it in a tough spot inside the Octagon.

Last edited:
I don't get the Sergei having the fastest hands at HW. Thought the consensus on here was he was kinda slow and stiff. He definitely could use better striking technique.

EDIT: Just went back and watched the black beast fight and can we talk about that horrible stoppage?

yeah, i don't really rate his boxing. he's powerful and has an unusually long reach for someone his size but it's like you said. he's stiff. i don't think he's necessarily slow, but his sitffness mixed with his punch choices ironically make his long reach detrimental because there's so much space for him to get countered.

also i don't trust his chin.

The Tai fight is gonna be an early Christmas treat.

As a big Tai fan I'm not sure it will be, very tough fight for him. The good thing about Tai is that even when seemingly outmatched he always gives himself a chance to win. Even against Lewis he basically just waded through shots so he could get in there, he's got a lot of heart and competitiveness.

I think he’ll be champ one day. Not exactly sure when, but I think he’ll get the belt at some point.

He is good, but not sold on him just yet as champ material. He should beat Tui though.

Back