a little article on rotator cuff training

killer_kicks88

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Which is better to strengthen the rotator cuff, isolated or complex exercises? (4/9/2004)

The rotator cuff traditionally has been strengthened by using isolated movements. But can complex multi-joint movements strength the rotator cuff just as well? Researchers at Democritus University of Thrace in Komotini, Greece recently compared the effects of isolated and complex exercises on rotator cuff strength.

Thirty-nine males participated in this 6-week study. After initial isokinetic testing of internal and external rotation strength, the subjects were divided into 3 groups. The experimental isolated group performed internal and external dumbbell rotation exercises, the experimental complex group performed pull-ups, overhead presses, reverse pull-ups, and push-ups, while the control group performed no exercises. Both experimental groups performed 3

this article made me pretty happy, cuz i don't do any of these isolation RC exercises, but i do use heavy compound movements, so this is nice to read

killer_kicks88 said:
this article made me pretty happy, cuz i don't do any of these isolation RC exercises, but i do use heavy compound movements, so this is nice to read

Neglecting isolation movements for your rotator cuff complex has lead to countless injuries in many strong lifters who have fair max bench and comparable row, yet have ended up with an overstretched or torn infraspinatus.

I'm as much a "pro compound movement onlyist" as they come, however the injury potential resulting from a muscular imbalance between the primary movers compared to the small and weak rotator muscles will only increase as your max bench, and max row increases.

As is the position of the researchers, I contend that the ideal method for increasing shoulder function is a mixture of both internal/external rotator work, coupled with relevant compound movements..

I perform external rotator work before ANY pressing or pulling movements and I haven't had rotator woes in about 3 years.

i used to have RC problems one after another, then i gave up bench press for dips and i haven't had any problems since

Back