A Lawyer's Take - Did Khabib Defame Conor?

But here is the thing: let's say I am right, and telling the truth. What do I have to gain by saying where I went? Your respect? You are nobody to me, I couldn't care less if you make millions today or drop dead tomorrow. All the same to me. So what is my upside?

It wouldn't matter if you went to Boise State Tech or Harvard Law and finished top of your class. Your thread is a very dumb thought experiment because it is based on a completely infeasible premise. You've already had your shit pushed in repeatedly; you should let the thread die.

If there’s a pending rape investigation (I’m under the impression that there is, correct me if I’m wrong), then it would pretty much be impossible for a public figure like Conor prove fault. In fact, even if Conor were a private person, it would pretty much be impossible without the police department or prosecutor publicly exonerating him. IMO Conor would have to be stupid to sue for defamation. I’m sure some lawyer out there would do it, but I see it getting dismissed early.

As for the alleged “victim,” I doubt being falsely labeled the victim of a crime qualifies as defamatory. There may be a state court out there which has held otherwise, but I doubt it.

But yeah if Khabib just outright called Conor a rapist without a scintilla of evidence, I suppose it could be actionable. I doubt Conor wants to be deposed on the subject of his sex life though.
good to hear the take of an actual lawyer on the subject, thank you for the knowledge

It's not defamation if it turns out he's a rapist, genius.
Well of course. But has it been proven yet? If the answer is no, then to call him a rapist right now is....yep you got it.

Assuming the Conor fans get their wish and their hero wins a verdict against Khabib who the fuck is going to Russia to "collect"? Good fucking luck.

So where is this lawyer?
giphy.gif

If there’s a pending rape investigation (I’m under the impression that there is, correct me if I’m wrong), then it would pretty much be impossible for a public figure like Conor prove fault. In fact, even if Conor were a private person, it would pretty much be impossible without the police department or prosecutor publicly exonerating him. IMO Conor would have to be stupid to sue for defamation. I’m sure some lawyer out there would do it, but I see it getting dismissed early.

As for the alleged “victim,” I doubt being falsely labeled the victim of a crime qualifies as defamatory. There may be a state court out there which has held otherwise, but I doubt it.

But yeah if Khabib just outright called Conor a rapist without a scintilla of evidence, I suppose it could be actionable. I doubt Conor wants to be deposed on the subject of his sex life though.
I think that is exactly the problem for Conor: does he want to provide evidence to prove, by a preponderance of the evidence, that the statement is false? This is more interesting because of how secretive the Irish system is with sex assault allegations. I actually, for once, agree with censorship on this point.

good to hear the take of an actual lawyer on the subject, thank you for the knowledge

This 'lawyer' <Lmaoo>

So where is this lawyer?
giphy.gif
I have said it over and over again. I will show Frankie proof, if every single person questioning my credentials agrees to delete their account and not make a new account. But you are all cowards, and are just critiquing me out of envy for not having a higher level of education.

I have said it over and over again. I will show Frankie proof, if every single person questioning my credentials agrees to delete their account and not make a new account. But you are all cowards, and are just critiquing me out of envy for not having a higher level of education.
This is Sherdog dummy, nobody here has qualifications

If you're indeed a lawyer, don't bother proving it here to a bunch of anons on the internet. It's not worth it.

Why would we trust Frankie.
Your conditions are as ridiculous as anyone believing you are a lawyer.
You write and reason like a kid.
You probably are a kid.

LoL @ you

But you are all cowards, and are just critiquing me out of envy for not having a higher level of education.

Im critiquing you on the (lack of) merit of your argument and shit thread. I have an advanced degree also boyo. You will keep ducking the fact that the suggestion that anything could happen legally with regard to defamation in this circumstance is ludicrous.

Counselor, as someone who's been to law school, I wholeheartedly agree with your take.

Just to add, Conor may be able to file charges in criminal court if it's determined that Khabibs statements were made in bad faith.

That would be quite the legal kerfuffle if that was the case.

Why do people feel the need to lie on internet message boards?

Why would the US have any jurisdiction whatsoever? Khabib is a Russian national, Conor is an Irish national, the woman who was raped is an Irish national. In all likeliness, Khabib posted the tweet from Dagestan. So no objective territorial jurisdiction, no subjective territorial jurisdiction. I'm not an expert on international law but it seems to be nothing.

Yet you notice how they both commit their crimes in the United States? And what the fuck do we do? Not a thing, toss some money around and it's all good! Meanwhile our president is a massive advocate on reforming immigration laws yet doesn't do anything when foreigners come here and commit crimes on American soil.

Back