A Lawyer's Take - Did Khabib Defame Conor?

You should probably learn to capitalize your words before you throw them around.

Like I said, you dont have to believe I am a lawyer, largely because you are not important enough to me to make proving it worth my while. Believe what you want bro.

Yu can be a lawyer, still absolutely no chance of any legal action on this.
but yep good thread to make us posting..

Khabib made a big mistake.

Conor could sue him for character defamation.

Don't think he will though.

This is libel (written/published). If Conor sued, it would be up to Khabib/Ali to prove it was true, not on Conor to prove it was false.

Different jurisdictions is a minor issue. Conor could sue in America, Ali lives there and surely has assets there.

It would actually be an open and shut case in my opinion. Ali controls the accounts and called Conor a rapist twice - once using his account and once using Khabib's. No 'alleged' or nothing. Open and shut....unless Conor gets convicted.

I doubt Conor would sue though. These boys both want another payday.
In NY, it is different for public, semi public, and private figures. Conor is..very public.

Photo is not relevant. The phrase "X is a rapist" is defamatory. The photo adds additional confusion.
what about defamation of a persons family member, referring to the "your wife is a towel" part?

In NY, it is different for public, semi public, and private figures. Conor is..very public.
The burden of proof is higher but this is still an open and shut case. Public figures successfully in America sue for libel all the time.

Khabib made a big mistake.

Conor could sue him for character defamation.

Don't think he will though.
if so, he'd probably need some more lawyers, already dealing with those "investigations"

what about defamation of a persons family member, referring to the "your wife is a towel" part?
Defamation is something that tangibly harms your reputation. A childish insult is not defamation.

LOL at suing for defamation over some twitter comments that was part of war of words

This is libel (written/published). If Conor sued, it would be up to Khabib/Ali to prove it was true, not on Conor to prove it was false.

This is not correct. Even in libel, the defendant does not have to prove the statement is true. The plantiff must prove it false.

Defamation is something that tangibly harms your reputation. A childish insult is not defamation.
i bet a lot of lawyers would be able to classify it as that. "childish insult" is highly subjective

LOL at suing for defamation over some twitter comments that was part of war of words
yeah, this whole tread is just about some law student who wants to brag

The burden of proof is higher but this is still an open and shut case. Public figures successfully in America sue for libel all the time.

And when they do, they prove the statements false.

I think the fact that there's an ongoing investigation means that that's hardly defamation. Just Khabib giving his opinion.

Defamation is when you run the serious risk of ruining someone's reputation by spreading lies.

And how would Khabib's counter claim for all the times COnor has called him a terrorist go in this magical international jurisdiction we're pretending exists?

Who cares? If Conor tried to take him to court, that would be a massive bitch move. I doubt he would though...he's probably just trying to think of a good comeback as we speak. After all, it's just business.

Back