• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

A Judo black belt comes with perks

ArTofF16hT1ng

Bånned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm well on my way to getting one and in the States Judo black belts come with perks. These are the ones I noticed so far.

1) It doesn't seem to be an issue when a black belt shows up late to class. On the other hand, when lower belts show up late it's a huge etiquette issue. I show up before class 90% of the time, but it'd be nice to have the privilege to show up later.

2) Black belts don't seem to have to pay the monthly dues at most clubs. As long as the black belts are helping the lower belts, a lot of the time the dues are waived. That's saving around $600.00 a year.

3) Black belts don't seem to need to ask permission to get off the mat. I have a pretty active bladder (I literally piss like 20 times a day) so it gets cumbersome to ask the Senseis if I can use the bathroom. Sometimes I rather not bother them and I just hold it.

4) Black belts seem to sand-bad some of the exercises they don't want to do. I don't mind doing all the exercises, but it'd be nice not to have to do all the break-falls. I'm getting close to 30 (dang...sounds older when I type it) and I'd like the privilege to skip some.

5) Probably the coolest perk is that black belts get the opportunities to show some moves to the class. I'm by no means and expert, but I'd love the opportunity to teach some of the lower belts my back-door moves. I got this one arm-bar transition that I'm dying to show down the line.

Thoughts?

$600 a year? damn thats a lot. But yeah I agree, at our club they come whenever they want and just chill out.

Your sig makes me wonder: if Jesus was a whitebelt (I know, obviously, he's not, he's got to at least have a yellow belt, but just...hypothetically), could he show up late to class?

I bet his seio-nage is illllll.

Your sig makes me wonder: if Jesus was a whitebelt (I know, obviously, he's not, he's got to at least have a yellow belt, but just...hypothetically), could he show up late to class?

I bet his seio-nage is illllll.

Jesus is a black belt in holiness. He lived His whole life perfect and He wins all His matches by ippon.

Its the same for most TKD guys here. When we hit black belt...we kind of stop paying and start teaching. But savings is not much...TKD in this country aint exactly expensive...

I have to watch what I say because the Kodokan is always watching and so are my BJJ superiors being a black belt in 2 Martial arts I have noticed it does help but far more is expected of you.

In competition and etiquette outside the Mat and on the Mat while there is lee-way given for a black belt at times more pressure is on a black belt far far more. Your superiors talk to you when the lower grades are not around and often punishment is given. You cant be loosing on the Matt to lower grades but your also told to go far far lighter.

Its the same for most TKD guys here. When we hit black belt...we kind of stop paying and start teaching. But savings is not much...TKD in this country aint exactly expensive...

What about the abundance of deadly under 18 black belts? Do 11 year old BBs rock up late, teach some techniques, and then split, their turtle power wallets none the lighter?

Senior black belts and Junior black belts are entirely different but relevant post buhjayjay

The only reason the instructors won't make a fuss about a black belt not being diligent (ie: late for class, half asses drills, pisses all over the fucking place, etc) is because hand-holding stops at black belt. If you still don't have the discipline and work ethic to behave as if you were being watched, you don't deserve your belt.

tl;dr

Essentially, as a black belt, it is now your own responsibility to be disciplined and work hard. You are now a representative of your school - when you show up late and half-ass the drills, you're showing the world that your school taught you to be that way.

When in doubt, use the Hawthorne Effect.

More of complain thread, but I do see where your coming from.

If hes a black belt and teaching you guys, then he doesn't have to pay. Aren't you the one who is paying to learn. Who cares if he shows up late, your a lower belt and you want to learn more don't you? Who knows what his situation is or what his discipline is. Your should not be that way to show up late.
You don't want to get out of exercises either, exercises help to stay in shape so you can continue to be able to more and better things. and if you have to go to the bathroom remember to go right before class, if you really have to go then it shouldn't be a problem near the end of class.

Black belts don't seem to need to ask permission to get off the mat. I have a pretty active bladder (I literally piss like 20 times a day) so it gets cumbersome to ask the Senseis if I can use the bathroom. Sometimes I rather not bother them and I just hold it.

Thoughts?

Real Black Belts don't piss 20 times a day. They can hold it.
Looks like you'll have to do the "Pee-Pee Dance" til class is over.

Showing up late is disrespectful no matter the belt color.

Being lazy during exercises as a black belt is still being lazy.

You're a grown man, you shouldn't have to ask someone to go to the bathroom.

As a BB you should be setting an example, not being a turd.

Real Black Belts don't piss 20 times a day. They can hold it.
Looks like you'll have to do the "Pee-Pee Dance" til class is over.

I use the "Pee-Pee Dance" as a distraction then uchi mata my terrifed opponents. On topic however, I do see this from time to time, but at least at my place, people get severely punished for it regardless if they are black belt or not. Although, senior blacks have farrr more lee-way then someone fresh off the belt.

Jesus is a black belt in holiness. He lived His whole life perfect and He wins all His matches by ippon.

This is why Christians are nut balls, Jesus wouldn't have matches.

So, no belt for da Jesus

This is all true. If you watch warm ups, the intensity dies as you move up the belt ranks. Watch jumping jacks...best example. White belts are killing it, arms and legs straight out, both sides, lot of motion. Blue belts are pretty close, but their arms are bent and they don't throw their legs out as far. Purple belts have very bent arms, and basically jump up and down in place. Brown belts hop from foot to foot and sort of throw their hands up from the elbows like they're doing the wave. Black belts watch.

Same in Judo. Black belts get a lot of leeway. I think the idea is that a lower belt is a burden but a black belt is an asset, whether they explicitly teach or not. I enjoy the perks. Though if you have to go to the bathroom, at my club, you just go. Come on, we're all adults here.

Sounds like a BJJ purple belt (minus the not paying fees)

Back