Social A Judge Asked Harvard to Find Out Why So Many Black People Were In Prison

Posting values from before any control measures were implemented, but not after.

What I quoted from The Root article specifically mentions it is after being "controlled for criminal history, jurisdiction, and neighborhood."

Also, here's the next sentence after what you quoted. From the actual study.

"Our analysis shows that one factor—racial and ethnic differences in the type and severity of initial charge—accounts for over 70 percent of the disparities in sentence length"

So, no.

The reason why so many african americans are in jail is already know for a long time. Nuclear families are rare between the african american community, drug trade and violence between gangs is basically already cultural and most of them are not on a good money situation so they're not likely to get good lawyers. The reason why nobody wants to just tell how it is its because its easier to just blame one thing when it comes to politics. You get votes easier that way

What I quoted from The Root article specifically mentions it is after being "controlled for criminal history, jurisdiction, and neighborhood."

Also, here's the next sentence after what you quoted. From the actual study.

"Our analysis shows that one factor—racial and ethnic differences in the type and severity of initial charge—accounts for over 70 percent of the disparities in sentence length"

So, no.

Read the study you moron. The roots article's values are not from after implementing controls. They are from before and they purposely misled you. And of course your dumb ass fell for it.

I apologize for calling you dishonest. You are just stupid.

What a joke the war on drugs is. Personal choice is a choice. Why do we criminalize behavior that doesn’t hurt anyone? For profit prisons? Seems pretty likely to me. Somebody lined somebody else pocket to get more taxpayer money in the system.

Agree

Have you ever heard of herion? You ever heard of the opioid epidemic?

You want to go back to the 80s when harsher sentences were given to crack offenders vs coke offenders you will find out this WAS AT THE REQUEST OF BLACK LEADERS.

Again, crime is overwhelmingly intraracial.

What's less well-known is that early on, many African-American leaders championed those mandatory minimum sentences and other tough-on-crime policies. These efforts could be seen at the federal and state levels, as well as across black communities such as Harlem.
https://www.wnyc.org/story/312823-b...ned-strict-drug-laws-they-now-seek-dismantle/
^ like I said

More than one in four people arrested for drug law violations in 2015 was black, although drug use rates do not differ substantially by race and ethnicity and drug users generally purchase drugs from people of the same race or ethnicity.15) For example, the ACLU found that blacks were 3.7 times more likely to be arrested for marijuana possession than whites in 2010, even though their rate of marijuana usage was comparable.

Read the study you moron. The roots article's values are not from after implementing controls. They are from before and they purposely misled you. And of course your dumb ass fell for it.

I apologize for calling you dishonest. You are just stupid.

I just wrote to you that "Our analysis shows that one factor—racial and ethnic differences in the type and severity of initial charge—accounts for over 70 percent of the disparities in sentence length" is from the actual study, not The Root article.

That doesn't take into account the fact that in Canada, blacks make up 3.5% of the population, but commit over 50% of the homicides. What systemic racism in Canada today causes this very large discrepancy?

This has been covered in lengths before. Crack vs weed..

So a system is made from humans .. rules , policies , laws and legislation... so systematic racism .. where is it written in policy to discriminate against blacks? It’s such a boogie man buzzword with no intellectual honesty behind it ...

That doesn't take into account the fact that in Canada, blacks make up 3.5% of the population, but commit over 50% of the homicides. What systemic racism in Canada today causes this very large discrepancy?
Do you have a source for that?

Posting values from before any control measures were implemented, but not after.

It's also pretty dishonest or at least misleading to only post the absolute values. 25 to 31 days longer? Sure, that would be terrible with an average sentence of 3 months. Now say the average sentence is 20 years. Maybe the difference is 1-2%.

Then it suddenly becomes an insignificant difference and the whole "blacks are getting punished harder" becomes completely obsolete.

It's also pretty dishonest or at least misleading to only post the absolute values. 25 to 31 days longer? Sure, that would be terrible with an average sentence of 3 months. Now say the average sentence is 20 years. Maybe the difference is 1-2%.

Then it suddenly becomes an insignificant difference and the whole "blacks are getting punished harder" becomes completely obsolete.

I can't find the average sentence length anywhere in the study.

edit: The average incarceration length for whites is 311.9 days. The average for blacks is 480.6 days. Had to calculate this from other data in their tables.

They control for a few different variables and find that the resulting discrepancy is 31 days. They then argue that one of the variables they controlled for (the convict's initial charge severity) could actually be influenced by racial bias as evidenced by the fact that people of color more often have their charges reduced. This is conjecture (which they admit) and more or less the projection of the left-wing perspective (bias) onto the data. They don't mention that, for example, black eye witnesses are less likely to co-operate with the police. Which would make it harder for the initial charges to stick. Nor do they discuss whether, for example, gang violence was more common in people of color. They only consider "initial charge severity."

Last edited:
It's a economic thing not a race thing. Well here and the economics can be viewed through race I guess.

There was a study in Australia that found harsher penalties were generally given later in the day and just before lunch time. Judge would get crankier as the day went on.. ,( anybody who's been next up to see the judge knows the dread of having a argumentative asshole before your go ) and generally speaking the punishments would become greater.

Here if you don't pay for a lawyer and you are either given a court appointed lawyer ( lower end crimes they don't even bother) or front on your own. You will be seen after all the paid for lawyers then the court lawyers . Then you get to go. With a judge Whos already spent 6 or 7 hours with generally speaking scummy people ( hey I'm one not judging) given progressively harsher punishments.

You can understand it. If the judge sentences someone early in the day ( greater the crime more likely the lawyer ) say for their 3rd dui and involved in a traffic accident . They may not even realize it. But the guy with his first dui later in the day will probably wear some extra because of the case 7 hours ago. Consciously or not.

Humans eh.
Also it's how you carry yourself. If you're a disrespectful idiot the police and judges go harder on you. If you're polite, things are easier on you.
I lived in Baltimore for college and saw people fighting the police and making trouble. Of course they'd get harsher sentences. It's natural

Also it's how you carry yourself. If you're a disrespectful idiot the police and judges go harder on you. If you're polite, things are easier on you.
I lived in Baltimore for college and saw people fighting the police and making trouble. Of course they'd get harsher sentences. It's natural

Oh of course certain elements of people's personality definitely add to the possibility of a greater punishment. Yea simple things like the arresting officers statement will have a large impact on the decision of penalties. Even something as small as posture can drastically change the opinion of the judge.

But in terms of greater prison time based on racial elements for me there's a million other factors that come into play before irrelevant shit like melanin and pigmentation.

Of course there's those who will think like that. I would assume that there's going to be more shortly sadly... fools... But I think there's so many factors that just putting it down to pigment is absurd. All you have to do is look how many wealthy people of all colours get away with absurd shit that someone of any race of a certain economic standard will see yeaaaaarrrs for. Humans Eh

It's a economic thing not a race thing. Well here and the economics can be viewed through race I guess.

There was a study in Australia that found harsher penalties were generally given later in the day and just before lunch time. Judge would get crankier as the day went on.. ,( anybody who's been next up to see the judge knows the dread of having a argumentative asshole before your go ) and generally speaking the punishments would become greater.

Here if you don't pay for a lawyer and you are either given a court appointed lawyer ( lower end crimes they don't even bother) or front on your own. You will be seen after all the paid for lawyers then the court lawyers . Then you get to go. With a judge Whos already spent 6 or 7 hours with generally speaking scummy people ( hey I'm one not judging) given progressively harsher punishments.

You can understand it. If the judge sentences someone early in the day ( greater the crime more likely the lawyer ) say for their 3rd dui and involved in a traffic accident . They may not even realize it. But the guy with his first dui later in the day will probably wear some extra because of the case 7 hours ago. Consciously or not.

Humans eh.

There's got to be plenty of reasons why a judge would give a longer sentence.

Where's the study that shows if every black male is getting harsh sentences for the same crime?

There's got to be plenty of reasons why a judge would give a longer sentence.

Where's the study that shows if every black male is getting harsh sentences for the same crime?

This study shows many ways in which blacks are biased against in the criminal justice system, and how they are subject to increased punishments both for the same crime, and in similar situations to white offenders (socio-economic status, prior convictions, etc).

https://www.sentencingproject.org/publications/un-report-on-racial-disparities/

Back