Social A Judge Asked Harvard to Find Out Why So Many Black People Were In Prison

F1980

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
A judge asked Harvard university how come there's so many black people behind bars. After a 4 year study, shows only one answer and that is systemic racism.

A Judge Asked Harvard to Find Out Why So Many Black People Were In Prison. They Could Only Find 1 Answer: Systemic Racism

When a judge tasked researchers with explaining why Massachusetts’ Black and Latinx incarceration was so high, a four-year study came up with one conclusion.

Racism.

It was always racism.

https://www.theroot.com/a-judge-asked-harvard-to-find-out-why-so-many-black-peo-1845017462

Obama-lol.gif

We already know that those communities were effected by drugs. It's also know that blacks got more time in jail/prison for same drugs charges as whites .
Is it though? Because people constantly deny this

"The average Black person’s sentence is 168 days longer than a sentence for a white person. Even when the researchers controlled for criminal history, jurisdiction, and neighborhood, they concluded: “[R]acial disparities in sentence length cannot solely be explained by the contextual factors that we consider and permeate the entire criminal justice process.”

We already know that those communities were effected by drugs. It's also know that blacks got more time in jail/prison for same drugs charges as whites .

I honestly don't think the police or society in general care if you get high. The problem occurs when the drug trade leads to violence...even worse public violence where innocent people are hurt. That looks terrible for politicians which leads to draconian laws.

Tons of white kids use drugs but there is not a high rate of violence in the trade. I've seen at least 20 episodes of the first 48 where black kids killed a guy for a couple hundred dollars of cash or product...usually weed. They do the deals in private...and mostly use in private.

The Mafia is a great example of this in white people. Countless people were maimed and murdered and the federal government put stupid resources into stopping them...they even created bullshit laws(rico), to find people guilty by association

"The average Black person’s sentence is 168 days longer than a sentence for a white person. Even when the researchers controlled for criminal history, jurisdiction, and neighborhood, they concluded: “[R]acial disparities in sentence length cannot solely be explained by the contextual factors that we consider and permeate the entire criminal justice process.”

The article is not really honest about the data, is it? Nor are you apparently.

"The regression analysis indicates that even after accounting for these characteristics, Black and Latinx people are still sentenced to 31 and 25 days longer than their similarly situated White counterparts, suggesting that racial disparities in sentence length cannot solely be explained by the contextual factors that we consider and permeate the entire criminal justice process."

http://cjpp.law.harvard.edu/assets/Massachusetts-Racial-Disparity-Report-FINAL.pdf

It's a economic thing not a race thing. Well here and the economics can be viewed through race I guess.

There was a study in Australia that found harsher penalties were generally given later in the day and just before lunch time. Judge would get crankier as the day went on.. ,( anybody who's been next up to see the judge knows the dread of having a argumentative asshole before your go ) and generally speaking the punishments would become greater.

Here if you don't pay for a lawyer and you are either given a court appointed lawyer ( lower end crimes they don't even bother) or front on your own. You will be seen after all the paid for lawyers then the court lawyers . Then you get to go. With a judge Whos already spent 6 or 7 hours with generally speaking scummy people ( hey I'm one not judging) given progressively harsher punishments.

You can understand it. If the judge sentences someone early in the day ( greater the crime more likely the lawyer ) say for their 3rd dui and involved in a traffic accident . They may not even realize it. But the guy with his first dui later in the day will probably wear some extra because of the case 7 hours ago. Consciously or not.

Humans eh.

I honestly don't think the police or society in general care if you get high. The problem occurs when the drug trade leads to violence...even worse public violence where innocent people are hurt. That looks terrible for politicians which leads to draconian laws.

Tons of white kids use drugs but there is not a high rate of violence in the trade. I've seen at least 20 episodes of the first 48 where black kids killed a guy for a couple hundred dollars of cash or product...usually weed. They do the deals in private...and mostly use in private.

The Mafia is a great example of this in white people. Countless people were maimed and murdered and the federal government put stupid resources into stopping them...they even created bullshit laws(rico), to find people guilty by association

The war on drugs obviously targets low income poverty areas. Blacks and minorities live in those areas at a higher rate than whites.

It has been shown by data that whites were getting less time or even no time at all for drug charges while blacks were going to prison for years for same charges .

I don't think people should go to prison for drugs to start with.

The article is not really honest about the data, is it? Nor are you apparently.

"The regression analysis indicates that even after accounting for these characteristics, Black and Latinx people are still sentenced to 31 and 25 days longer than their similarly situated White counterparts, suggesting that racial disparities in sentence length cannot solely be explained by the contextual factors that we consider and permeate the entire criminal justice process."

http://cjpp.law.harvard.edu/assets/Massachusetts-Racial-Disparity-Report-FINAL.pdf
What was I being dishonest about, exactly?

A judge asked Harvard university how come there's so many black people behind bars. After a 4 year study, shows only one answer and that is systemic racism.

https://www.theroot.com/a-judge-asked-harvard-to-find-out-why-so-many-black-peo-1845017462

Black people are convicted proportionate to calls into the cops. So, since most victims of black crime are blacks, then I would say the main reason so many black people are in jail is because other black people are calling the cops reporting a crime on them.

The war on drugs obviously targets low income poverty areas. Blacks and minorities live in those areas at a higher rate than whites..

Have you ever heard of herion? You ever heard of the opioid epidemic?

You want to go back to the 80s when harsher sentences were given to crack offenders vs coke offenders you will find out this WAS AT THE REQUEST OF BLACK LEADERS.

Again, crime is overwhelmingly intraracial.

What's less well-known is that early on, many African-American leaders championed those mandatory minimum sentences and other tough-on-crime policies. These efforts could be seen at the federal and state levels, as well as across black communities such as Harlem.
https://www.wnyc.org/story/312823-b...ned-strict-drug-laws-they-now-seek-dismantle/
^ like I said

Have you ever heard of herion? You ever heard of the opioid epidemic?

You want to go back to the 80s when harsher sentences were given to crack offenders vs coke offenders you will find out this WAS AT THE REQUEST OF BLACK LEADERS.

Again, crime is overwhelmingly intraracial.

What's less well-known is that early on, many African-American leaders championed those mandatory minimum sentences and other tough-on-crime policies. These efforts could be seen at the federal and state levels, as well as across black communities such as Harlem.
https://www.wnyc.org/story/312823-b...ned-strict-drug-laws-they-now-seek-dismantle/
^ like I said

Of course I know about those drugs. I'm debating that blacks got higher sentences when it came to drug charges compare to whites .

The war on drugs obviously targets low income poverty areas. Blacks and minorities live in those areas at a higher rate than whites.

It has been shown by data that whites were getting less time or even no time at all for drug charges while blacks were going to prison for years for same charges .

I don't think people should go to prison for drugs to start with.

What a joke the war on drugs is. Personal choice is a choice. Why do we criminalize behavior that doesn’t hurt anyone? For profit prisons? Seems pretty likely to me. Somebody lined somebody else pocket to get more taxpayer money in the system.

Back