A few questions about the Klitchko's from a boxing newb

Nope, it was 13 fights, not 5, and yes it's a significant part of Louis' defences.

Don't be going and trying to pass on some silly wikipedia writeup that was written 70 years after the time as fact to me please, Pirao. Do some of your own research instead. Use the News Archives for an example and you'll surely be able to pin point when this "Bum of the Club" started by reading the words of those who were actually around at the time all this was going on.

For an example;

"Blackburn wants 'the champ' to take things a little easier, inasmuch as he has been in training since last December,when he opened the Bum of the Month club for the business with Al McCoy in Boston."

- AP report, June 12th, 1941

Daytona Beach Morning Journal - Google News Archive Search

"(Johnny) Ray was convinced Louis' slip showed before Publisher Jacobs organized The Bum-of-the-Month club with the Al McCoy selection in Boston last December."

- AP report , Apr 19th, 1941

Herald-Journal - Google News Archive Search

""I heard the rumour for the first time while you were up in Boston enrolling a guy named McCoy has the first member of your Bum of the Month Club."

- The Afro American, Feb 8th, 1941

The Afro American - Google News Archive Search

The (Bum of the Month) chant started in Boston last December when the Brown Bomber beat Al McCoy so unnmercifully he was unable to answer the bell for the sixth round."

- AP report, Mar 21st, 1941

Amongst other sources, they are four from the actual time that clearly state that Louis' 'Bum of the Month' tour started with the Al McCoy fight in Dec of 1940. It continued on into 1941 with, what do you know, Louis fighting once a month against the likes of Red Burman, Gus Dorazio, Abe Simon, and Tony Musto. Some writings from the time refer to Buddy Baer as being a part of that club, as well, although there are just as many that conflict with the opinion of he being a part of it. Billy Conn was not a part of it. So from McCoy to Musto, I count five that were clearly a part of who were being described as 'Bum of the Months'.

Unless you want to try and convince me that those writings from 1941 by people on the scene are actually wrong and that somehow a 2010 writeup by who knows who should be considered more factual?

ESPN.com: 'Brown Bomber' was a hero to all

ESPN probably doesn't know what they're talking about and didn't do any research either, right?

But hey, Joe Louis' was a great and strong era and Tony Galento would be a contender in any era, of course beating the likes of Arreola and Chambers easily.

"He went through a 'Bum of the Month Club' until he met former light-heavyweight Billy Conn on June 18, 1941."

Yeah...and?

That part is basically correct because Louis did in fact go through that before he faced Conn in June. What else does that vague and seemingly only comment by the writer signify when it comes to that group? It doesn't say when it started. Doesn't back up your false claim on how many were included into the club. Or anything really, besides the fact that Louis did go through it before facing Conn. So what?

How are the Klits viwed, will they eventually go down as top ten HW or be on the all time P4P boxing list?

I am not sure i have ever seen boxer that is, all considered, superior to those two.

P4P takes size out of equation so it is not really interesting to me.

...but both have lost to less than great fighters and neither has beat any great fighters.

I don't really agree on this. Both of Vitali's losses are due to injury (cut and shoulder injury) and he was clearly winning both fights at the time of stoppage. Sure they are marked as losses in his record but definitely something you should take into consideration.

Too bad he never got the change to avenge these losses. Specially Lennox's case is pretty blatant case of dodging. Avenging those losses would have helped his case in historical rankings...

I don't really agree on this. Both of Vitali's losses are due to injury (cut and shoulder injury) and he was clearly winning both fights at the time of stoppage. Sure they are marked as losses in his record but definitely something you should take into consideration.

Too bad he never got the change to avenge these losses. Specially Lennox's case is pretty blatant case of dodging. Avenging those losses would have helped his case in historical rankings...

This most people look at these losses as if he got KTFO.

No joking. A rematch would have ranked high as one of Lennox's better pay days but he passed on it. Wonder why?

No joking. A rematch would have ranked high as one of Lennox's better pay days but he passed on it. Wonder why?

Maybe because at age 38 and after 14 years of fighting his best days were behind him?.......maybe

Maybe because at age 38 and after 14 years of fighting his best days were behind him?.......maybe

Absolutley Lennox was done fighting and with the amount of money he's earned in his career and working for HBO I have a hard time seeing any financial offer to fight being appealing when he clearly didn't need the money or the fights anymore.

I am not sure i have ever seen boxer that is, all considered, superior to those two.

P4P takes size out of equation so it is not really interesting to me.

you ain't seen much boxing, try a little place called you tube.

Clearly he was terrified.

prime Vitali had his chance against an old LL, and still lost...........

Most dominant heavyweights since the Joe Louis days, people actually turn to title shots which is unbelieveable because they know they will lose.

In the old days you'd fight for the #1 contender spot, it's not their fault Povetkin and Haye wants no part of them so they fight the best guys they can. They are very, very good fighters, easily top 20 all time heavyweights and I'd argue with their size advantage would beat the early heavyweight champs who weighed around the 200 lbs area.

Wladimir Klitschko would most likely beat Joe Louis.

Back