A different look at JDS' takedown defense

I do not agree.
1. Good TD defense means: prevent to taking down to the ground. JDS makes this well with his hand so his TD defence is good.
2. That "fence" thing. The fence is the part of cage so the fighter can use this for defense and for attack too.
3. Big Country is pretty good wrestler.

Everyone wants to claim that so n so has the best insert specific skill set here in all of mma.

It's silly. Why waste your time?

Yawn...
"if not for the fence"
Fighters know where the fence is and they use it as a tool to stay standing, it's not coincidence that he ended up there and didn't get taken down...

Really, because what I'm refering to is being completely taken down, but being caught by the fence. Roy completely bullrushed him, had him with an outside trip and then they fell into the fence and that kept them up. One time in particular I thought JDS broke his neck, but I'm sure that was because of his wonderful ring awarness huh?

Yes op, your point makes sense.

JDS is difficult to take down not because he possesses strong wrestling skills, but because he controls distance well with his boxing.

Gee, it's good to see that at least one person understood what I was trying to say. It's pretty easy to see the people on Sherdog who have some sort of actual knowledge compared to the idiots who just make stupid comments like most of the people in this thread

Really, because what I'm refering to is being completely taken down, but being caught by the fence. Roy completely bullrushed him, had him with an outside trip and then they fell into the fence and that kept them up. One time in particular I thought JDS broke his neck, but I'm sure that was because of his wonderful ring awarness huh?

Lol, thought he broke his neck? When was this, because I don't remember that part of the fight at all.

Edit: Yeah, just watched the Nelson fight again and I saw no instance of a near broken nexk or a trip of any kind. Are you sure you mean this fight?

Last edited:
Lol, thought he broke his neck? When was this, because I don't remember that part of the fight at all.

Edit: Yeah, just watched the Nelson fight again and I saw no instance of a near broken nexk or a trip of any kind. Are you sure you mean this fight?

yep, where did you watch it at, because I've been trying to find it and I cant. Roy basically tackled him in either the early third or late second, all the way accross the cage and would have had him down , on his back, in side control if not for the fence

yep, where did you watch it at, because I've been trying to find it and I cant. Roy basically tackled him in either the early third or late second, all the way accross the cage and would have had him down , on his back, in side control if not for the fence

I torrented it a while back. And the cage being there is a non-issue. We don't know what would have happened if it wasn't there. nelson could have fallen forward like I've seen fighters do plenty of time when driving across the ring, or no cage would have given JDS more room to circle out of it like he did a few times in the second.

I agree with you that his distance control is a huge part of his success, but whn people do latch onto him, they're still not able to take him down for more than a second at most. All of that has to be considered when talking about TDD.

Using the fence for balance IS part of having good TDD

I torrented it a while back. And the cage being there is a non-issue. We don't know what would have happened if it wasn't there. nelson could have fallen forward like I've seen fighters do plenty of time when driving across the ring, or no cage would have given JDS more room to circle out of it like he did a few times in the second.

The two times I'm talking about, Roy had him completely off balance, going straight backward, and JDS' head and neck hit the cage and their momentum bounced thme back to a standing position. It's one of the few times I remember seeing the fence itself almost give way.

I agree with you that his distance control is a huge part of his success, but whn people do latch onto him, they're still not able to take him down for more than a second at most. All of that has to be considered when talking about TDD

People don't really commit to shots on him or really try and get to close, because of his hand speed, power and accuracy. The point I was trying to make is that his TDD isn't good because he's a good grappler, it's because of his boxing. That can't be said about anybody else, ever

I think if Cain can put him on the fence, he wins. Cain demoralizes guys and beats them ragged at the first chance. JDS is a great fighter, though. It will be good.

YOu must be new to sherdog then

Not in the least. I know he's been referred to as the HW version of Chuck Liddell, who was known for great TDD and the ability to get back to his feet. But I always found the general consensus of Sherdog was that fighters like GSP, Aldo, or Penn held that title.

There still seem to be a number of Cain fans who believe he'll take JDS down fairly easily in the rematch.

Not in the least. I know he's been referred to as the HW version of Chuck Liddell, who was known for great TDD and the ability to get back to his feet. But I always found the general consensus of Sherdog was that fighters like GSP, Aldo, or Penn held that title.

There still seem to be a number of Cain fans who believe he'll take JDS down fairly easily in the rematch.

I see about 4 threads a day about his TDD being the best in MMA

He also has great balance and reaction time. What a lot of people seem to ignore is the fact Cain had a leg and shot on Dos Santos within the first 30 seconds of the fight.

Cain caught a kick to the body, similar to the Bigfoot fight, and in less than a second he had the leg and shot. Dos Santos easily got his leg back and sidestepped Cain. Pretty much the exact takedown we saw drop Bigfoot was laughed at by Junior.

The kicks were different. Bf threw a leg kick that slid up Cains leg making it easier to catch. Think anderson- James Irvin. Jds threw a teep kick to Cains abdomen. Much more difficult to catch and hold onto.

10001405.gif

Back