A boxing fans perspective here (first post)

Sambaking

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I'll try and make this post as short as possible...

I'm a huge boxing fan that's never really been interested in MMA. I know this is almost contradictory as boxing has had more deaths but seeing people getting knee'd and elbowed makes me flinch a bit too much. It's a bit extreme for me, whatever floats your boat. I have tried to give it a chance, and I must say I was very impressed with the stamina of the fella Holloway in his last fight. I also won a ton of money on Brock Lesnar beating Mark Hunt - I know nothing about MMA but I couldn't believe the majority of MMA fans were picking Hunt after I watched highlights of them. Probably wishful thinking which happens in boxing too. A perfect example being the Groves-Eubank fight this week where all hardcores are lying to themselves in picking Groves. Eubank will destroy him. Easy money. Anyway, here is a few observations from a boxing fan to you MMA fans:

1: Mayweather/McGregor was a FIXED, I repeat FIXED, fight. I'm sorry to be dogmatic but cmon man, wise up. That fight couldn't have been scripted better. Mayweather got his expected stoppage against a novice & on the flip side McGregor won the first few rounds and landed more punches than Pacquiao. Reading the posts on here, I can't believe everyone seems to think there is some legit beef between these two. If you believe that, I'm sorry but you have something missing upstairs. Mayweather came to the ring in a fucking mask to basically tell us we were getting robbed. Then McGregor leaves an Instagram post afterwards claiming he was the orangutan in the circus obeying the rules. Yes, a circus indeed. Both of these men have huge brands & they know they can make hundreds of millions with each other. If it was a legit fight, Mayweather would knock McConor out in one round. if he wanted to play with him then it would be like watching a lion play with an alley cat. McGregor would be clowned so bad that his brand would be destroyed despite it not being his primary sport. Anything they do in future will be pre-planned, stop putting so much energy into it. I couldn't stop laughing at all the comments on here before the 'fight' suggesting Conor would lose his cool and put Floyd in a choke. These guys are business partners, not rivals. Cmon.

2. Lomachenko is not the best boxer ever. He isn't even the best boxer today, that is Terence Crawford. I love Loma but cmon, have you guys ever bothered watching Sugar Ray Leonard, Sal Sanchez, Hagler, Duran, Pernell Whittaker, Jones, Hearns, etc? Stop believing Joe Rogan Ffs. His knowledge of boxing is beyond dreadful. Heck, he thinks Loma is Russian.

3. James Toney was in his prime in 1992 as a middleweight & didn't have a style conducive to MMA. Couture beat a morbidly obese, so badly brain damaged that they needed to use subtitles for his promo, shot to shit, turning up only for a pay check James Toney in 2010!! Why do MMA fans always use James Toney as some sort of 'our guys are tougher than your guys' barometer. Pathetic.

4. MMA fans seem to have a weird obsession with street fights, and how MMA fighters would beat boxers in street fights. I'm sorry to inform you, but us boxing fans don't give a shit about fantasy street fights that should be the fantasies of only those going through puberty.

5. For you American posters, it's "I couldn't care less", not "I could care less". Man that is the most annoying thing. If you COULD care less then you must care to begin with. It's not hard.

Over and out.

Why don't you let us know how you really feel Sam?

Also made alot of cash betting on Brock to beat Hunt. Crazy odds.

I agree with point 5.

boxing > mma

Why don't you let us know how you really feel Sam?

Also made alot of cash betting on Brock to beat Hunt. Crazy odds.

In regards to your spoiler, why did most MMA fans pick hunt? I know one of the points made was that Lesnar doesn't like getting punched in the face, and that was Mark Hunt's forte but deary me, sometimes you just need to believe your eyes, and I'm not talking about physiques.

I agree with pretty much everything except you gotta admit Lomachenko is up there P4P.

Edit: For current active boxers I mean.

In regards to your spoiler, why did most MMA fans pick hunt? I know one of the points made was that Lesnar doesn't like getting punched in the face, and that was Mark Hunt's forte but deary me, sometimes you just need to believe your eyes, and I'm not talking about physiques.

I went on a long tirade similar to yourself around the time of the Hunt vs Brock fight and was laughing at everybody that thought Hunt would get the KO. Sometimes MMA fans love that 1 punch KO artist (Francis too). Combine that with the fact that many of them just saw Brock as a WWE guy. I don't know.

I agree with point 5.

So you believe Mayweather & McGregor was a legit fight with no predetermined outcome that would benefit both brands?

I have some ocean front property in the Sahara Desert I can sell you!

I agree with pretty much everything except you gotta admit Lomachenko is up there P4P.

Edit: For current active boxers I mean.

I have him second beneath Crawford, although I would not be surprised if Mikey Garcia would beat him. Due to his lack of pop, he will struggle against any tough, relentless, yet skilled fighters who aren't dazzled by his foot work & are willing to rough him up. Many will use the Salido fight as an example but that is unfair on Loma I would say. Can you imagine Duran against Loma? Of course that is harsh on Loma, he can't be compared against a fighter of that ilk yet but it has to be said when so many MMA fans are claiming this guy is the best boxer ever lol.

rc0cg3.jpg

Fixed fight? Mayweather just played it really safe early. By round 5 he was trying to sleep Mcgregor (Missed AND landed some swingers right on the jaw).

So you believe Mayweather & McGregor was a legit fight with no predetermined outcome that would benefit both brands?

I have some ocean front property in the Sahara Desert I can sell you!

No there is some truth to it. I'm saying point 5 is legit. It bothers me.

I have him second beneath Crawford, although I would not be surprised if Mikey Garcia would beat him. Due to his lack of pop, he will struggle against any tough, relentless, yet skilled fighters who aren't dazzled by his foot work & are willing to rough him up. Many will use the Salido fight as an example but that is unfair on Loma I would say. Can you imagine Duran against Loma? Of course that is harsh on Loma, he can't be compared against a fighter of that ilk yet but it has to be said when so many MMA fans are claiming this guy is the best boxer ever lol.

I'm gonna have to accept that. But I don't see him getting roughed up that much. From what I've seen him and his dad always talk to the ref beforehand to make sure they are aware of the shenanigans his opponents often try to pull.

Edit: What are your thoughts on Canelo Alvarez? He's my other favourite.

People don't really care much about streetfighs. They care about real fighting. People practice a martial art often to possibly defend themselves if the situation would call for it. It is why those arts were created in the first place. So you'd think it would matter if your combat sport translates to real combat.

Last edited:
Don't think it was fixed. But Conor fans talking like he won the first rounds because he's that good, not because Mayweather wasn't really trying is crazy.

Fixed fight? Mayweather just played it really safe early. By round 5 he was trying to sleep Mcgregor (Missed AND landed some swingers right on the jaw).

As a boxing aficionado, I'm convinced that even just by watching that fight you can see it's clearly not legit. Former manager of Leon Spinks, Mitch Green & fight fixer Charles Farrell describes that you need a very skilled fighter to make a fixed fight look legit, and It was Floyd who played this part. Both fighters were laughing, Floyd fighting completely unnaturally and letting Conor have some success. Watch the punches Floyd was landing when he ended it, he was pulling them. Don't get me wrong, they certainly didn't tickle. But Conor was so open for a clean knockout, which would have happened in a legit fight. Watch them at those pre fight press conferences. They might as well have been high fiving each other. Get in the real world my friend.

I'm gonna have to accept that. But I don't see him getting roughed up that much. From what I've seen him and his dad always talk to the ref beforehand to make sure they are aware of the shenanigans his opponents often try to pull.

Edit: What are your thoughts on Canelo Alvarez? He's my other favourite.

Canelo seems to be criminally underrated by hardcore fans. I often see top 10 p4p lists where he isn't mentioned. Golovkin is my favourite fighter but I wasn't too dismayed with a draw. I think Canelo will win the rematch, although I'm not too confident.

Canelo has one of the best resume's In boxing. His win over Lara looks better every passing day. Although there is a lot of people who feel he lost that fight. I'll need to rewatch. It's been a while since I seen it.

Back