A bear fought in WW2 and drank beer and smoked smokes

Aegon Spengler

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
Wojek was a bear that moved munitions and supplies for his fellow soldiers. He was given a rank and title, he smoked cigarettes and drank beers with the boys.

Skip to 52 seconds if you want to avoid listening to the annoying British people

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wojtek_(bear)

To get him on a British transport ship when the unit sailed from Egypt to fight with the British 8th Army in the Italian campaign, he was officially drafted into the Polish Army as a Private and was listed among the soldiers of the 22nd Artillery Supply Company of the Polish II Corps. Henryk Zacharewicz and Dymitr Szawlugo were assigned as his caretakers.

As an officially enlisted "soldier" of the company, he lived with the other men in their tents or in a special wooden crate, which was transported by truck. According to numerous accounts, during the Battle of Monte Cassino Wojtek helped by transporting ammunition

Last edited:
Gabe, is this credible? Were they torturing the bear? I can't hear a touching story any more without thinking these thoughts.

Wow, bit irresponsible letting it smoke. PETA caught slipping

I'm sure plenty of large, hairy gay men fought in WW2.

Super cool story. One of my favorites throughout history. I really wish someone would make a (great) movie about it.

He wasn't the only bear the allies had...

816.jpg

He was still a wild animal right? Can they even be completely tamed? What if he went apeshit one day and started mauling the army dudes.

Wheres Zookeeper gabe?

Where is JA Rule to make sense of all this?

Omg disgusting. Where is PETA on this? I think the ancestors who tortured this poor animal deserve to be sued

Omg disgusting. Where is PETA on this? I think the ancestors who tortured this poor animal deserve to be sued

So sue the dead ancestors of WWII vets...

I hope PETA can deal with railroad bonds...

Sounds like the bear wanted to fight for the side that fights for the living.

After the bear got drunk, he was quoted as to have said:
BEAR+HANDS_e745f7_3876121.jpg

Back