A+ Athletes making better fighters is a myth

Being an "A level athlete" doesnt mean somebody is going to be a good fighter. Having great athleticism alone isnt enough. However, having great athleticism is better than not having it, IMO.

Being an "A level athlete" doesnt mean somebody is going to be a good fighter. Having great athleticism alone isnt enough. However, having great athleticism is better than not having it, IMO.

I will never understand why Dana didnt let Walker fight in the UFC. He was 44-47 but still very athletic and he LOVES COMPETITION .. I think he is still training at AKA and he is 56.

People like him are rare.

I will never understand why Dana didnt let Walker fight in the UFC. He was 44-47 but still very athletic and he LOVES COMPETITION .. I think he is still training at AKA and he is 56.

People like him are rare.
I would have liked for him to at least get one fight in the UFC.

Speaking of guys who fought in Strikeforce, I wish we could have seen more from Rhadi Ferguson.

The performance of one inexperienced fighter on one night doesn’t prove or dismiss a theory.

Name me one world champion, in either boxing or mma, that came over from football or basketball, and had no other martial arts training....

It doesn't have to be one or the other. Nearly all the great athletes you can think of from the past 30 years have had a combination of athleticism
Do I think Roberto Duran was a great athlete?

Yes I do

"I am not God, but I am something similar.

-Roberto Duran

Love that quote.

It doesn't have to be one or the other. Nearly all the great athletes you can think of from the past 30 years have had a combination of athleticism

"I am not God, but I am something similar.

-Roberto Duran

Love that quote.

Duran in his prime, was one mean mother f''''cker.....Greatest lw champion of all time...

No, Roy has abs, they are just coverd in a layer of fat.
The way they Move.
I like Roy by the way.
Roy is/was a decent athlete by mma standards.
They fact that people look at his stomach and make such a baseless assesment indicates a clea ignorance about what athleticism is

Yes, but the day only has 24 hours and the human body only has so much energy. Would Cain Velasquez be better with Lebron's physique? Sure, but it doesn't work that way.

You can't become as big, strong, and fast as possible while grinding wrestling & striking practice for hours a day.

And since we have weight classes in fighting, skill > athleticism
I dont undertand what you are trying to type but it make it simple-

superior athlete with skill > inferior athlete with skill

I don't think there has ever been what is truly considered an A-level athlete in MMA. Who?

There have been. It's just that in the USA, the connotation for athletic is extremely muscular and fast.

There have been several Olympic medal winners in MMA and if you aren't an A-level athlete if you win an Olympic medal then I don't know what an A-level athlete is.

So many believe in Joe Rogan garbage about A level atheles.
Umm its not Rogans assesment. There are billion dollar education and proffesional sports economies that run on this principle.

How do people not know this??

I think we can all agree that A+ athletes having the propensity to be better fighters is true.

Look at Urijah Hall, how is that guy not a freak athlete? Explosiveness wise he's insane, the guy throws hook kicks blazingly fast and yet he's a gatekeeper, no offense but being a fighter is so much more than being an incredible athlete. People who never fought don't understand. Most of these guys are made from another cloth than 99.99% of the population mentally.

Roy is/was a decent athlete by mma standards.
They fact that people look at his stomach and make such a baseless assesment indicates a clea ignorance about what athleticism is
You are right about that.

So many believe in Joe Rogan garbage about A level atheles.

Rogan, Frank Mir, Big John McCarthy, Mike Brown, Brendan Schaub, Forest Griffin ... basically anyone who's not a blind fanboi says the same thing.

Back