6 weeks out from comp.

bowlie

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Our university taekwondo club is holding a tournament some time in feb. Up until now all my work has been on getting a better aerobic and strength base. Its no where near where I want it to be, especially my strength base, but it should be good enough for a small comp like this.

I think in these next few weeks should be fight prep, anaerobic work, which I have no experience with. Should I keep my strength training the same, but just have a week off before the tournament? What kind of anaerobic training is best?

Last edited:
That looks good, the only problem is I dont have a place to do the sprint, and I was hoping to do this after a weights session, so less emphasis on the upper body strength exercises.

If I decided to do lactic power / capacity sprints would you recomend doing each for 3 weeks or just one?

You are going to lose if you can even be dedicated enough to find a 50 yard strip of grass. Don't make excuses.

You are going to lose if you can even be dedicated enough to find a 50 yard strip of grass. Don't make excuses.

Yes, because that's the only workout routine available to him.

Leading up to a fight I usually keep the strength training the same up until the week of the competition, then I'll taper it off, performing one slightly lighter strength workout about 4 days out.

Same thing with the conditioning. I'll try and work longer-duration sprints for a few reps once or twice a week at about this stage, then increase the intensity/decrease the duration, as well as increase the number of reps as I get closer to a fight. In general, close to a fight I will make my workouts shorter and faster, and more similar in terms of work:rest to my fight.

Since TKD is usually only one round, and then ample time between bouts to recover, you can probably focus more on being able to generate a higher power output and worry less about the recovery side of things (although you do still need to bear it in mind).

Burpee intervals are great, as are rowing intervals, sprints, etc. Burpee intervals may actually be my favourite conditioning drill with minimal equipment: 30 seconds of burpees, alternate with 30 seconds of shadow boxing. Perform these for either 2 or 3-minute rounds, with 30-60 seconds rest between. Super tough workout when you push the pace as hard as you can.

Thanks Kiwi, thats really helpful. I remember you mentioned something similar to this a while back and I dug up your post on lactic power / capacity workouts.

My advice would be that if you're doing 3 lifting sessions per week, to find 10-15 minutes after your workout to do some form of lactic power or lactic capacity work. Work for these qualities should be about 2-3 reps per series, for 1-2 series (depending upon how you feel). Shorter rest (such as bring HR back down to about 120-110bpm) between reps each series, and resting 5-10 minutes between series. With lactic power, aim to go as hard and fast as possible for 30-45 seconds- put as much effort into each rep as possible. With lactic capacity, aim to be able to sustain a high intensity for about 60-90 seconds.

Looks like these would fit in well with the burpies intervals you suggested.

What I might do is spend 2 weeks doing 3X3 min runs with 1 min breaks, two weeks doing lactic power with 30s burpes, 30s active rest, and the last two weeks doing lactic capacity, with 60s work periods. How does this sound?

That looks good, the only problem is I dont have a place to do the sprint, and I was hoping to do this after a weights session, so less emphasis on the upper body strength exercises.

If I decided to do lactic power / capacity sprints would you recomend doing each for 3 weeks or just one?

Do you have any high school football fields/tracks in your area? They're usually open for the public when they're not in use.

Do you have any high school football fields/tracks in your area? They're usually open for the public when they're not in use.

nope nowhere like that, i live in the inner city, and our schools arent as well funded as american ones. I could sprint up and down a local park, but its tiny and I would look like a loon. or up and down a car park but the same problem, especially when I do puchups and shit. If it was the only option I would, but im sure there must be programs that have the results im looking for.

Yes, because that's the only workout routine available to him.

Leading up to a fight I usually keep the strength training the same up until the week of the competition, then I'll taper it off, performing one slightly lighter strength workout about 4 days out.

Same thing with the conditioning. I'll try and work longer-duration sprints for a few reps once or twice a week at about this stage, then increase the intensity/decrease the duration, as well as increase the number of reps as I get closer to a fight. In general, close to a fight I will make my workouts shorter and faster, and more similar in terms of work:rest to my fight.

Since TKD is usually only one round, and then ample time between bouts to recover, you can probably focus more on being able to generate a higher power output and worry less about the recovery side of things (although you do still need to bear it in mind).

Burpee intervals are great, as are rowing intervals, sprints, etc. Burpee intervals may actually be my favourite conditioning drill with minimal equipment: 30 seconds of burpees, alternate with 30 seconds of shadow boxing. Perform these for either 2 or 3-minute rounds, with 30-60 seconds rest between. Super tough workout when you push the pace as hard as you can.

My point was winners don't make excuses, the guy could do burpees until he pukes, or find an excuse not to. Either way I wish the OP luck, fighting competively takes courage and he will be better regardless of the outcome after the tournament. He should grow a beard though.

Do the sequential fatigue challenge, everyone who does it looks like a loon. After 6 rounds your body will be screaming to stop, but if you push through the remaing 4 rounds you will have crazy conditioning and strong mental toughness.

My point was winners don't make excuses, the guy could do burpees until he pukes, or find an excuse not to. Either way I wish the OP luck, fighting competively takes courage and he will be better regardless of the outcome after the tournament. He should grow a beard though.

Do the sequential fatigue challenge, everyone who does it looks like a loon. After 6 rounds your body will be screaming to stop, but if you push through the remaing 4 rounds you will have crazy conditioning and strong mental toughness.

I already have a partial beard :p I take your point, and I might see if the trainer is interested in running it in class or something so we can use the hall. The other option is outside somewhere there could be broken glass and shit on the floor.

I used to do it in a field with kids and their mom's looking at me like I was a functional retard. Good luck

Back