6 minute kettlebell workout

TheGrappler25

White Belt
Reaction score
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TOyZxI2Zs5w&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TOyZxI2Zs5w&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

too bad you can't do this EXACT SAME WORKOUT with a dumbell...

All in all It's not a bad tabata workout, but why not just do snatches the whole time? Also, (and I don't know if this is you doing this or not) have you considered doing a swing/toss to the opposite hand instead of just a swing? I like them better because they seem to train the grip more thoroughly. same thing with the snatches: snatch, swing/toss to opposite hand, repeat. likewise I suppose you could do it with the high pulls as well.

what's the point of him resting, I know it's tabata but for a real workout you should try doing that nonstop. It'll be hard as shit I know but I'm fucking crazy sometimes.

wtf? I edited that post and add something useful and it didn't show up!

Another option is to change the exercises to include a toss to the other hand each rep. The first two rounds would have be swing w/ a toss at the top, next two would be a high pull with a toss at the top, and the last two would be a snatch, followed by a swing/toss. I like throwing my KB for the extra grip work, but it's not everyone's bag I suppose.

wtf? I edited that post and add something useful and it didn't show up!

Another option is to change the exercises to include a toss to the other hand each rep. The first two rounds would have be swing w/ a toss at the top, next two would be a high pull with a toss at the top, and the last two would be a snatch, followed by a swing/toss. I like throwing my KB for the extra grip work, but it's not everyone's bag I suppose.

kettlebells are great fun. Good routine but only thing i would do is active rest between each exercise, ie jumping jacks.

This way you keep moving but also help to facilitate recovery and removal of waste products.

Tabatas have got to be the most overused overrated protocols in history. The guy publishes one study showing 20s work 10s rest was better compared to another protocol using a moderate intensity and somehow everybody in the world decided it was the best and only way to do intervals? The study everyone references had 7 people in it. There are only 13 studies that even show up on pubmed under his name.

Of course a higher intensity program showed better results than a moderate intensity one. I don't think there has ever been a case of such limited research done with such an obvious common sense outcome that has had more people jumping on the bandwagon. I seriously need to get that guy's press agent, Tabata is a marketing mastermind (although too bad for him he's not making a commission off of everyone posting youtube videos).

EZA could you give us a little more info on Tabatas? Has there been any research done on tabatas vs several sets of varying distance sprints?

I, like many, first read about tabatas and have believed what i read ever since. Obviously i should know better, but guess I dont.

Can you please give us a little more insight into tabatas? Have they been proven to be less effective than other methods? Or have they just not been proven yet?

Thanks EZA

EZA could you give us a little more info on Tabatas? Has there been any research done on tabatas vs several sets of varying distance sprints?

I, like many, first read about tabatas and have believed what i read ever since. Obviously i should know better, but guess I dont.

Can you please give us a little more insight into tabatas? Have they been proven to be less effective than other methods? Or have they just not been proven yet?

Thanks EZA

I second this question...

The research Tabata did that everyone cites as to why his protocols are so great are a lot like those studies that look at is 3 sets of strength work better than 1 set. The answer is obviously yes 3 sets are obviously better than 1 set, but that doesn't mean you should go out and do 3 sets of everything just because the studies showed doing 3 is better than 1.

The 20 seconds work, 10 seconds rest protocol Tabata used is definitely better than the moderate intensity protocol it was compared against, but it does not mean that's the end all be all interval and should be used for everything. Also, the protocol was done with 100% intensity using a bike, but now people are using it with strength training, plyometrics, and just about everything in between, and most often times using much less than 100% intensity.

In the end, it's a decent protocol for improving aerobic development because most people will end up averaging slightly above their anaerobic threshold. but it's been made out to be far more than it actually is. 4 minutes is also not nearly enough volume for most well qualified athletes to see much improvement. There are a lot of different protocols that are great for improving aerobic, anaerobic, and alactic development, there is nothing special about Tabatas that means they are the only type of interval that should be used.

The reality is that conditioning should be individual and heart rate specific anyway, there is no set protocol that works all the time for everyone. See the post I wrote on how to solve your conditioing problem for more detailed info on this.

Today I did 40 51lb dumbbell swings (full overhead) in two minutes...personally, I think that beats the stuffing out of most of the fancy "kettlebell routines" I see online.

I guess I'm like Urban, keep it simple. If you're only going to work out for a few minutes, go all out with a single full-body movement (like a full overhead swing or snatch), IMO.

And don't even get me started on those shoulder-level swings as seen in the video...:icon_chee

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back