5x5x5 Pavel Routine

GeoffreyLOL

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I am planning on starting the 5x5x5 Pavel routine tomorrow (5 basic exercises for the whole body, 5 days a week [mon-fri] and one work set of 5 per exercise).

Could anyone recommend to me 5 basic exercises to use for this routine? Thank you.

I take it's just one exercise a day, like OLAD? If so, then:

Back Squat (or front)
Deadlift
OHP
Chins
Bench

Or something to that effect. Some sort of squat, some sort of pull, and then two pushes and an upper body pull.

Squat, deadlift, bench, clean, overhead press.

If you're not worried about competing in powerlifting or anything I would do Squat, Deadlift, OHP, BORs, Dips

I take it's just one exercise a day, like OLAD? If so, then:

Back Squat (or front)
Deadlift
OHP
Chins
Bench

Or something to that effect. Some sort of squat, some sort of pull, and then two pushes and an upper body pull.

Its all 5 each day, 5 days in a row 2 day break, 5 weeks.
Low rep high weight.

Thanks for the input fellas.

That sounds brutal. Squat and deadlift heavy five days in a row for five weeks? Can you post a link to this program, ive never heard of it before.

The 5x5x5 Mind Over Muscle Program

Select five basic exercises for your whole body.

Perform all of them five days a week, Monday through Friday.

Do only one work set of five per exercise, leaving a couple of reps in the bank.

Focus on staying tight, power breathing and the perfect groove.

After five weeks, test your maxes and switch to a different type of routine.
Select five basic exercises for your whole body, for instance, the three powerlifts, pull-ups, and dumbell side bends. Or try clean-and-presses, deadlifts, dips, barbell curls and Janda situps. You get the idea.

Perform all of them five days a week, Monday through Friday. Do only one work set of five per exercise. It will feel very odd to wrap up a workout when you still feel so good, but that is the way neural training is. Steve Justa, a supremely strong and muscular man, once said, "You should feel stronger at the end of every workout."

The weight is ideal if you have managed it with a couple of reps to spare. To establish that perfect poundage start every workout with a couple of lighter singles.

For instance, yesterday you squatted 300x5 and felt that you could have done 300x7. Today squat 225x1, 255x1 and 275x1. The feel of 275 should tell you whether you should stay with 300, go up, or go down. And don't sweat it too hard if you do not hit it right, occasional easier and harder sets will do you good by introducing more variety.

The usual 5x5x5 pattern is a very strong start on Monday, a PR on Tuesday, Wednesday could go either way. Thursday and Friday are downhill as fatigue builds up. By Monday you will be rested and ready to smash new records.

After five weeks, test your maxes and switch to a different type of routine. You will be strong, confident, and raring to pump and burn. You may never admit it in public, but you know that the number one reason you are bodybuilding is to improve your self-esteem. Face the music: no amount of meat will give you true confidence.

I thought you chose 5 exercises working the whole body, but they don't necessarily have to be the same each workout.

The 5x5x5 Mind Over Muscle Program

Select five basic exercises for your whole body.

Perform all of them five days a week, Monday through Friday.

Fuck.

That.

I think the idea behind it is neural adaptation and "greasing the groove". But I have no idea why on earth its 5 sets of 5 every time.

You could get a ton more out of it if you used sets between 5-10 and reps between 1-4 with a load of 70-85%
of 1RM. And concentrate on two movements at a time.

I have used his routine and found it very effective, but I have also found out that i benifit more from low volume and more frequent workouts.

But I have no idea why on earth its 5 sets of 5 every time.

It's not. It's:
5 Movements
x
5 Days
x
5 Reps - Do only one work set of five per exercise, leaving a couple of reps in the bank.

It's not. It's:
5 Movements
x
5 Days
x
5 Reps - Do only one work set of five per exercise, leaving a couple of reps in the bank.

Sorry, was a typo. But still im inclined to say that the 5x5x5 is there mostly to please the eye.
The theory behind frequent training with submaximal weights is solid thou.

Pavel loves him some synaptic facilitation. Its all about maximizing the skill of a movement, and the neural adaptations to that particular movement. Greasing the groove. I have yet to try anything like that.

I'm fucking horrible at being able to tell how many reps I have left in the tank.

Sometimes I'll be like "I got about 4 more left" then I fail on the next rep. Other times I'll think I'm about to fail then I'll crank out 5 more reps.

leaving a few reps in the bank=prolong your strength potential by many years

I aint saying you have to go to failure on each and every set, but you damn well better be willing to push yourself past what you have previously done in order to improve

leaving a few reps in the bank=prolong your strength potential by many years

I aint saying you have to go to failure on each and every set, but you damn well better be willing to push yourself past what you have previously done in order to improve

Agreed. What is your take on approaching progress like this for strength gains:

First phase: high volume-moderate intensity-high frequency / 6-10 x 1-3 reps 3 sessions per week per lift

Second phase: moderate volume and intensity- medium frequency / 4-6 x 4-6 reps 3 sessions per two weeks per lift

Third phase: low volume-high intensity-low frequency / 1-3 x 1-3 reps 2 sessions in three weeks per lift.

The lenght of each phase would depend on individual needs and goals.

Back