5x5 or 5x3?

Brendon Katz

Brown Belt
Professional Fighter
Reaction score
wat should i do for max strength ? 5x5 or 5x3 ? and how do u do 120% of ur 1 rep max 3 times?

I would say for pure strength 5*3 and alternate with the 5*3 for conditioning purposes.

120% of your 1 rep 3 times.....you could only achieve that via partials I would think

5x3-5. That's what i would do anyways. I don't like being locked into number of reps to achieve, leaving some wiggle room can allow me to progress more regularly by either shooting for more weight, more volume or more reps each week.

Ian1983 said:
I would say for pure strength 5*3 and alternate with the 5*3 for conditioning purposes.

120% of your 1 rep 3 times.....you could only achieve that via partials I would think

Yes, that has to be the only way (along with reverse bands and other such aids). I mean, come on, how would you lift more than 100% of your 1rm.

deadpool said:
I mean, come on, how would you lift more than 100% of your 1rm.

Chuck Norris could do it...

120% can also be used for negatives.

Do both. Do 5x5 then 5x3 and quit being a pussy. Seriously.

TheNerdKing said:
Do both. Do 5x5 then 5x3 and quit being a pussy. Seriously.

seriously wat bro? u can make 5x5 harder than 5x3 and vice versa. i fail 2 see how mixin the two up will give u harder workout.

Do 5x5 so hard that u puke.

Then do 5x3 so hard that u puke again.

Go eat. Then go sleep. Viola, you're huge.

Why not do 7x3 and get the best of both worlds. Keep the volume high and get the strength gains. Personally I'd do less reps with the deads and squats because they are more CNS intensive but thats a personal preference.

Back