5k tomorrow

TheAth-ah-lete

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I just started running just for the sake of getting better at running a few months ago and tomorrow is my third 5k. I have NEVER been fast, and up until a few mtnhs ago had never run more than 3.5 miles. When I did my first 5k I hadn't run more than 2.5 miles in training for it, and never in my life had I run 3 miles in under 28 minutes. Pathetic I know.

Anyway, the first race was in Early April I believe. It was at a State Park scenic mountain thing. HILLS OUT THE ASS! Unfortunately I live in West Texas where there are almost NO hills and I had only been runnning outside so I had no training for that thing really. Somehow though I ran my fastest 5k in 25:43. I didn't know what a good time was, but I was pretty happy to get that considering it was definitely a PR, my first race, and had horrible hills.

I went back to training and started adding in alot more running, and a lot more speed oriented stuff. I think my biggest problem at this point is not my cardio but my running technique. I've never run fast so I kinda feel like I need to learn how to run fast before I can run long and fast.

Last week was a hard week. A lot of running, cycling, and I lifted REALLY hard after I had done something to my right ass cheek when reracking some heavy db's after BORs. I was a gym idiot and put my weight on my rght foot weird and twisted a bit and I've been a little hurt ever since. I lifted heavy the next day though and the rest of the week my DOMS was so bad I didn't even feel it.lol. This week it hurt bad enough that I started my leg workout with 1 legged squats, did three sets, then just got on the treadmill to run. I don't think it's torn, just pulled or strained and I would usually probably train through it, but I have the race this weekend so I figured I could go for skipping an intense leg workout this week.

My last 5k was 2 weeks ago. I ran it in 23:34. My goal was 23:20, I started out too fast I guess, and i was hurting by mile 2. I started thinking that since I had this 5k tomorrow, and another in 2 more weeks, I might just use this weekend's one as a "fun run", but then during the week I did a 3 miler in 22:34 and I felt like come race day I could probably do better than that. I don't have to beat everybody, but I have to do my best. Then today I went to a local thai food place. I see the owner at both the runs I've been to and he's got trophies all over the place for running, I asked him if he was going to go to the next town over tomorrow(20 miles away) to do the 5k and he said if he did he would ride his bicycle over there, then run, then ride back.

Sounds like a good idea to me and that is what I am going to do. Registration is at 8:30 in the morning, the race starts at 10 so I will probably start the 20+ mile bikeride at 7:15-7:30, plan on getting there around 8:30-8:45, then ride back after the awards ceremony. I don't plan on trying to break a 5k record since I will be riding around 50 miles on top of it, I'm doing this solely to find out just how much I can hate my life on the way back. I honestly have only ridden that kind of distance once, but it wasn't too difficult, and i think as long as I pace myself the ride there, don't try to set a record on the run, and steal plenty of extra granola bars, powerade, and fruit I should not do too bad at all.

I'll definitely be updating this thread with the results tomorrow.

hahaha dude there's something not right about riding 20 miles to then run in a race and then ride back. Ever thought of working on a triathalon?

Definitely considered doing a triathlon but there are a few things holding me back from doing that. Number 1 I have a gym that I lift at that I LOVE and wouldn't want to leave for the Y or the other "gyms" with swimming pools. No way I can afford MMA training fees, lifting gym fees, rent, bills, etc.lol

And no. 2, swimming is my weakest link so I would need to work on that the most.

i am no good at swimming also , i did a mini-tri and had one of the slowest swim times followed by above par ruunning and biking, so this summer im gona take some swimming classes(which are decntly expensive so i dont blame u) anyway, just wanna let u know, if u have nay pain whatsoever now, u might get stuck 20 miles from home, while hurt and cant even take a taxi back because u cant fit ure bike in it.

anyway, just wanna let u know, if u have nay pain whatsoever now, u might get stuck 20 miles from home, while hurt and cant even take a taxi back because u cant fit ure bike in it.

Ahahaha. No I'm not "injured", just "hurt". Based solely on my other performances I should be able to do this without killing myself. Anyways my gf is going to be at the race, and I have plenty of friends and family I would be able to call if something did happen thank god.

Thanks for the encouragement though. Good luck with your swimming.

Ahahaha. No I'm not "injured", just "hurt". Based solely on my other performances I should be able to do this without killing myself. Anyways my gf is going to be at the race, and I have plenty of friends and family I would be able to call if something did happen thank god.

Thanks for the encouragement though. Good luck with your swimming.

k, so u do have a back up plan, hope all goes well and have a "fun" workout sunday

Really wasn't that difficult for me. Took 59 minutes to get to Odessa from Midland and then I had to wait around about an hour before the race started so I drank quite a bit of water and gatorade and wished they had had some carbs there (I'm 210lbs. I need foooood.lol) but they said they were for AFTER the race and they seriosuly wouldn't give me anything when I asked beforehand. Plus the local water is HORRIBLE and that is all they were serving and mixing the garoade with. It blew.

The race was pretty difficult because my chest and back were EXTREMEly sore from weightlifting earlier in the week, and by the time the race was going on 10:15 it was already in the 90's.

I wasn't trying too hard on the run because I was keeping in mind that I still had the ride back to Midland. I still finished in 24:04 though and I was pretty happy with that for me.

The ride back had the wind at my back and it only took me 43 minutes but the last mile and a half was completely against the wind whereas the rest of the ride had been a slight crosswind. It being at the very end made it a little difficult but I finished and wasn't too impressed with my little challenge...I feel like I kicked it's ass.ahahahaha

Just kidding. It was difficult but it didn't make me hate my life at any point. Good times people.

Your making good progress, nothin to be ashamed of for running a 28 on your first try - i actually did that same thing because i was so nervous that i was going to waste all of my energy. If you just keep training with good intensity then you should keep PRing for a while until you hit that 19 or 18 min mark. Keep up the good work and good luck on your race.

Nothing wrong with a 28 to start. I still haven't run an official 5k, but when I time myself the first time I hit a 28+ 5k. I've been training pretty hard for one on July 13th and I'm working on a sub-23 minute run.

Goodluck!

My progress has been a lot faster than I expected. I think a few of you misunderstood that in training I had only run a 28 minute 5k, my first event I did it in 25. Less than two months later I am pretty comfortably doing them in the 22s...unless I ride my bike for an hour first.lol

I'm not a runner but 26:42 here... Could trim some time off but I run to fight and I have short limbs

I'm not a runner but 26:42 here... Could trim some time off but I run to fight and I have short limbs

even so, that is pretty slow for someone who wants to be a runner, i can bet u that almost every fighter in the ufc (excluding 1 or 2 HW can run faster than that

even so, that is pretty slow for someone who wants to be a runner, i can bet u that almost every fighter in the ufc (excluding 1 or 2 HW can run faster than that

Not sure what you're saying here...I think you meant to say "wants to be a FIGHTER" not "runner"?

Tito starts his training camp running 3 miles in under 28 minutes and gets down to around 18 minutes by fight time. Source: his all access show.

Not that any of this means anything. I can run the balls off of one of the MMA fighters I know but most times we roll/spar I gas a good while before he does.

Not sure what you're saying here...I think you meant to say "wants to be a FIGHTER" not "runner"?

Tito starts his training camp running 3 miles in under 28 minutes and gets down to around 18 minutes by fight time. Source: his all access show.

Not that any of this means anything. I can run the balls off of one of the MMA fighters I know but most times we roll/spar I gas a good while before he does.

yeah u caught my mistake. and once again for any type of athlete(excluding sumo wrestlers) 28 minutes for 3 miles is damn slow

Good job on the race, especially with the bike warm up in that Texas heat. I'm getting ready for my second 5k, the first one was three years ago and a disaster, I didn't train properly (or at all really) and injured my knee and was put out for half a year. It kind of put me off the whole thing. I'm being real careful this time and so far so good. I haven't timed myself but I should. This 5k is weird because its sponsored by a bar so its like you're running to your beer, really makes you want to finish!

When i started running cross country my first race i finished with a 30:15. (Of course i stopped to take a shit in the middle of it lol.) But at regionals last year the team was counting on me to get us all to state becuase the next fastest guy in front of me was in dead last(he was sick) i ended up running a 20:57 or something. and at state I PR'd with a 20:46.

Im pretty proud of myself, but i get really frustrated sometimes becuase all of my friends are running in the 18's and one guy set the school record with a 17:51.

Just stick with it you'll get better, and my cardio kicks ass now.

In my best runs for cross country, I started at a 36 min mark , and in 4 years was down to 22:50. The one thing is I am running on really tough courses, and everyone is slower than they expect on the course.

In my best runs for cross country, I started at a 36 min mark , and in 4 years was down to 22:50. The one thing is I am running on really tough courses, and everyone is slower than they expect on the course.

is cross country really that much slower?

Back