• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

50k to buy a fun car - what do you get?

Depends on what you want to use it for.

I personally wouldn't spend money on a Hell Cat - it has difficulty putting it's power down. Even with all that horsepower, it loses to significantly less powerful cars on the track and in the 0-60 (Unless you are on a prepped surface with special tires).

I'm surprised you can get a Black Wing CT5 for $75K - A blackwing is north of 6 figures new in Toronto.

Personally, I have been looking at the IONIC 5 N or the EV6 GT (the latter you can get used for under $60K Canadian).

PS: I had a Charger RT - while it is no Hellcat, I rated the overall driving experience as subpar. I currently drive a Genesis G90, and it is actually faster than the RT because of the AWD.

EDIT: The fact that a Hyundai and a Kia are putting down 3s 0-60 times is insane. The Ionic 5 N is like a supercar on an extreme budget - 600HP is nothing to sneeze at.

EDIT #2: A Used Mustang Mach E GT may be the best value proposition out of the bunch. Kind of weird looking, but 600 pound feet of torque and under $50K CAD for a 1 year old model.
Great info. That being said I don't think the people who are looking to buy Hellcats are necessarily looking for the best value..

Very good looking car.

The 2024 electric version Q8 E Tron 55 Quattro is available now here in PH.
405 hp
285 miles range
0-60 in 4.5
Sharp as well, & had it been available in 23, would’ve been good chance would’ve went this way or with base Q8 E Tron model.

images

images

Last edited:
Tough to get a new car for 50k. I just got a 2023 grand cherokee and that was 61k with a discount/ haggling.

I would sayva fun car you can likely get a Mustang, a convertible cammaro would be nice in summer if your younger. A Jeep wrangler is on 40s on low end. Broncos are less than Wranglers I think.

The 2024 electric version Q8 E Tron 55 Quattro is available now here in PH.
405 hp
285 miles range
0-60 in 4.5
Sharp as well, & had it been available in 23, would’ve been good chance would’ve went this way or with base Q8 E Tron model.

images

images
An Audi like thst under 50k. Call me suspicious

If I had $50k to drop on a fun car right now?

I have to go with the posters who opt for American Muscle, particularly the GM's.

If anyone was dumb enough to let a Buick GNX go for that price, it would be my first choice. I am sure many new modern stock "sports" cars thrown down bigger numbers, but at $50k they won't turn heads like a done up Chevelle SS, GTO, Camaro's, Firebirds, 442's and you can customize the shit out of them pretty easily.

If it's the daily driver you're in for, I would agree with the poster who said the Civic SI. It's my daily driver, and yes, it's a fucking blast for urban driving, and they are pretty damn good on gas.

If I had to buy new, I'd go with the Lexus RC 350. 311hp and 0-60 in 5.8 is enough for me, and you get the Toyota reliability.
The AWD versions start at $51k, but I'm assuming with deals you could get one under $50k.
2022-lexus-rc-350-f-sport-awd-589-edit-1646327634.jpg

or 75k CAD.

What do you get? Am I an idiot for considering a hellcat? I’ve never drove one before but seems it may be the last of its kind. I’ve been on the list for a ct5 blackwonf forever. I can get a hellcat Monday.

Id take maybe 15k and get a toyota. Then save or invest the rest. Cars are a waste of money unless you can repair/restore older rides and make money.

An Audi like thst under 50k. Call me suspicious
Oh no chance. 2022 q8 55, you can get in US for 50ish+ range.
Screenshot-2024-06-16-at-11-52-02-PM.png

Same car prolly go for 80 or 90 K here.

I'm saying irl; I pre ordered my current ride & got it 5 months later.
The new Q8 was too long of a waiting time, same with RR 4 door Defender.
Nearly a year.
Some Q7s were in stock locally, but not as inspired by looks.

Had the 2023 Q8 E tron been available, I may have went that way.

2024 is first year Q855 Electric version, available here in PH.
Prolly had to pre order in 2023, but too late for me.
Have a friend in Florida, who has one & loves it.

I drive a 2023 RR Evoque P300 & roughly same price range.
IMG_3348-825x483.jpg

Last edited:
The Range Rover Evoque is a hot pile of steaming garbage. A sub compact , non off road capable car with all the reliability and price premium of a Land Rover, but none of the function.

QUOTE="-Magua-, post: 173514430, member: 499699"]
Oh no chance. 2022 q8 55, you can get in US for 50ish+ range.
Screenshot-2024-06-16-at-11-52-02-PM.png

Same car prolly go for 80 or 90 K here.

I'm saying irl; I pre ordered my current ride & got it 5 months later.
The new Q8 was too long of a waiting time, same with RR 4 door Defender.
Nearly a year.
Some Q7s were in stock locally, but not as inspired by looks.

Had the 2023 Q8 E tron been available, I may have went that way.

2024 is first year Q855 Electric version, available here in PH.
Prolly had to pre order in 2023, but too late for me.
Have a friend in Florida, who has one & loves it.

I drive a 2023 RR Evoque P300 & roughly same price range.
IMG_3348-825x483.jpg

[/QUOTE]

I went to buy last year . I LOVED the Lincoln Aviator an the new Yukon Denali. But I just couldn't get them to budge much on price. Had a buddy that's works at a Jeep dealership that had a dealer Grand Cherokee (high end wood trim ... works) I got that for low mid 60s. Had 3k miles on it but so what.

I looked at a 2 year old Range Rover but heard horror stories about how after a few years they become money pits...... I prefer buying new and as a Union guy I like to buy American.

Still of I can find a Yukon or a Aviator for a great price NEW I might think about trading in my Jeep.

I should have mentioned I do not want a vehicle that can be perceived as a luxury vehicle. There’s some interesting German options but I don’t want the perception that comes with driving one of those vehicles in a blue collar area. A hellcat is pretty under the radar unless you know what to look for.

You sound fun at parties. What color Corolla should I get, beige?
I mean, im Mr. Practical so i dont like to really spend money on stupid shit that heavily depreciates in value or that doesnt bring me true happiness in life. Many will disagree. To each their own.

I mean, im Mr. Practical so i dont like to really spend money on stupid shit that heavily depreciates in value or that doesnt bring me true happiness in life. Many will disagree. To each their own.
What do you spend money on for enjoyment? Everything cost money.

What do you spend money on for enjoyment? Everything cost money.

Enjoyment? I hike which is free. I kayak, which that was a 1 time cost of $1,200 CAD. I sometimes go ATVing which can cost about $160 for a few hours.

I enjoy lifes simplicities tbh. The rest of my money is in real estate. After all, what good is a fancy car without a home to put it in.

It was a 2009 Civic Sedan Si. It was just a little 200hp 4 cylinder with the vtec which made it fun to drive. It was like real life Super Mario Kart.. The handling with the Vtec made it fun to drive. It had a monster 3rd gear. It was a 6 speed manual

View attachment 1048078

This was the exact car I had and all I had was a tune put on the car. You could mod these cars out like crazy and make them insanely fast

I didn't know what I bought. I traded in a Dodge Ram wanting a gas saver.. I thought this was just a Civic. I didn't get down on it when I test drove it.. After I bought it, I hit that Vtec and I just started laughing and started zipping around the city going faster than I ever have weaving in and out of traffic and Vtec'ing past cars. It's so easy.. Ultimate car to run from police in the city if you had to..

It runs like a 2 stroke ATV if you ever been on one. Like a Yamaha Banshee 350

We're talking fun cars.. Straight line cars get old after a week.. You're used to it.

lol I had an 09 si coupe in my 20s until it got totaled in a pile up a few years ago. Rip.

View attachment 1048080

And this is my current car. I've had it a long time and I'm getting old and no longer into racing or any of that shit. All my vehicles I've ever bought have been black. I got some work done to this one too.

We must have similar tastes in cars cuz I was gonna suggest a mustang GT.

For a more luxurious but still fun ride I’d say go with a Lexus RC F sport, bmw 240 or 440i or a used Porsche 911

Last edited:
Enjoyment? I hike which is free. I kayak, which that was a 1 time cost of $1,200 CAD. I sometimes go ATVing which can cost about $160 for a few hours.

I enjoy lifes simplicities tbh. The rest of my money is in real estate. After all, what good is a fancy car without a home to put it in.
We enjoy similar things. My girlfriend and I spent all day yesterday on our atv’s. I do have real estate though so I’m not too worried about that.

I wouldn’t describe myself as frugal but I’ve made my money work for me and now run a contracting business. I’d like to enjoy the fruits of my labour. I’ve been contemplating this for awhile but I was building a new home and just recently bought the shop I was renting for my business. The time is now.

Back