• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

50k to buy a fun car - what do you get?

Buy an older American Muscle car. They always appreciatte and are great fun. The popular ones won't be pristine at 50k, but nice enough (Chevelles, GTOs, Camaros, Chargers, Cudas). But the 2nd tier ones will be immaculate at that price and less-25-50k--Cutlass, Impala, Malibu, Nova, Monte Carlos, Certain Mustangs, Skylarks, Tempest, Coronet, etc. Stick to 1972 and back preferbly 70 and back.

View attachment 1048110
I like old muscle cars. I had a chevelle for a couple of years but I want 500+ hp and modern amenities and drivability. My cousin would be rock hard if I got one because he’s je of those LS swap fanboys.

I just want modern, tinker free, drivable power with modern braking, steering and amenities. I’ve restomodded vehicles before but I really don’t have time and I’d like a toy this summer. I’ve been building a truck for almost 2 years lol so I don’t want to take on anything new and I don’t want to pay somebody else 150k+ to do what I want. I’d buy one done if someone had one for sale near me or a nice roller but I didn’t see much. I can buy a hellcat with 7k on it for a little over budget private sale.

As gay as it sounds, a Miata.
I’m 6’2, 240. I think miatas are cool around a track but I can’t get comfortable in one. Would be a cool auto cross build
I guess I was remembering it backwards lol.

I don't want an EV obviously lol. I was saying I'd get whatever has the best resale value so I could immediately sell it and pocket the cash as $50k on a car is retarded. That's a down payment in a rental property.
I have rental properties and a contracting business. I want to have fun. I work to have fun. I’m really trying to convince my soon to be wife to get a Prius prime tbh.

^^^ that's the biggest bang for your buck...imo
Then again a straight line racer, might get old.

Golf R
Honda s2000
BLZ/FRS
Built Lexus sc300

Then again OP is a bigger guy

I want 500+ hp and modern amenities and drivability. My cousin would be rock hard if I got one because he’s je of those LS swap fanboys.

I just want modern, tinker free, drivable power with modern braking, steering and amenities.

Congrats, cool AF to do a car buy now, with 50 grand.

Don't be hung up on hp - been in fast as hell imports with less than 400 hp.
Test drive Everything - Find what feels best to You, where & How You sit, driving like you do daily. Have Fun, a Sherbro salutes you on your car choice.​

Last edited:
Good call, with that budget you can build something.
I have a 16 yr old built Subaru Forester. I have around 10k in the engine/bolt on's.

yolo, puts a smile on my face everytime I drive it

or 75k CAD.

What do you get? Am I an idiot for considering a hellcat? I’ve never drove one before but seems it may be the last of its kind. I’ve been on the list for a ct5 blackwonf forever. I can get a hellcat Monday.

Depends on what you want to use it for.

I personally wouldn't spend money on a Hell Cat - it has difficulty putting it's power down. Even with all that horsepower, it loses to significantly less powerful cars on the track and in the 0-60 (Unless you are on a prepped surface with special tires).

I'm surprised you can get a Black Wing CT5 for $75K - A blackwing is north of 6 figures new in Toronto.

Personally, I have been looking at the IONIC 5 N or the EV6 GT (the latter you can get used for under $60K Canadian).

PS: I had a Charger RT - while it is no Hellcat, I rated the overall driving experience as subpar. I currently drive a Genesis G90, and it is actually faster than the RT because of the AWD.

EDIT: The fact that a Hyundai and a Kia are putting down 3s 0-60 times is insane. The Ionic 5 N is like a supercar on an extreme budget - 600HP is nothing to sneeze at.

EDIT #2: A Used Mustang Mach E GT may be the best value proposition out of the bunch. Kind of weird looking, but 600 pound feet of torque and under $50K CAD for a 1 year old model.

e2c79910e65fa580175847ac8284c7c3.jpg

Mitsubishi EVO 9

20k for the car. 10k for the modifications. Boom, 800whp AWD car that has heated leather seats, sunroof, and is as "modern" as a performance car needs to be
I’d fuck with an evo but they want 40k now hear the cars and they’re all trashed. Super cool vehicles tho

Prob a base 718 Cayman. Should be able to get a used 2019-2020 with about 25k miles for that $50K price range.

Back