• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

50k to buy a fun car - what do you get?

I hate BMW but it’s hard to go against the M240i because of the B58 engine potential

Fun car?

The most fun car I've ever owned was a Civic Sedan Si and it's not even close. I've had a lot of fast cars. The Civic wasn't the fastest but it was capable of beating RT Chargers and Challengers up to about 120mph.. The fun factor was off the charts though. Much more fun than the Mustang I currently drive.
I daily drove a 2017 and put 180,000km on it. It was a good car. I don’t think there’s a better daily.

118079223_797400964399484_3176500537228215409_n-800x800-1.jpg

Probably a basic trim M3.

It's good enough to be a fun track car but still functional enough to drive as an everyday car.
Brother base M3s haven't been $50k for 10+ years.

As far as the questions goes:
Gr86 (manual), around $35k:
2022-toyota-gr-86.jpg

BMW m240i xDrive, around $50k:
2022_bmw_m240i_coupe_sapphire_black_10.jpg

$50k on a car is retarded. I'd buy a tesla just to sell it. Iirc they have pretty good resale value.
Teslas (and pretty much all EVs for that matter) have terrible resale value. If you buy one of those new, plan to lose a shit ton of money in the first few years. Teslas aren't as bad as some other EVs but they have the problem of their prices getting constantly slashed and now they have an overstock issue. If you want an EV, buy a 2-4 year used one.

Can I get a decent gto or chevelle in that range
Yes but the real issue is drivability. I want a modern fuel injected powertrain and to put 30,000km on a year without tinkering. I like modern brakes, steering, fuel injection etc. I’ve drove lots of old cars and I want a restomod if I have another old one. That’s what appeals to me about the hellcat, a violent amount of power like an old car but with modern amenities. If I saw a 69 Camaro or something as a decent roller to build, I would have bought it.

Restomods cost a lot more though and to some it ruins the collector value. I could do it myself but I haven’t finished the truck I started building 2 years ago and I don’t have a ton of time. I’d like to be out this summer ripping around in a summer car.

Teslas (and pretty much all EVs for that matter) have terrible resale value. If you buy one of those new, plan to lose a shit ton of money in the first few years. Teslas aren't as bad as some other EVs but they have the problem of their prices getting constantly slashed and now they have an overstock issue. If you want an EV, buy a 2-4 year used one.
Tesla really fucked their customers over by cutting prices as much as they have. I read a story about a dude that paid $140k for Model X plaid 2.5 years ago that ended up selling it for $75k recently. You can buy one new for like $100k now.

Tesla really fucked their customers over by cutting prices as much as they have. I read a story about a dude that paid $140k for Model X plaid 2.5 years ago that ended up selling it for $75k recently. You can buy one new for like $100k now.
A bunch of people are going to lose their asses on Cybertrucks as well. I would hope the ones that bought the $100k+ model knew what they were getting themselves into but those things are going to crash hard once the cheaper models come out and once Tesla has a bunch sitting on lots.

The car market is going to be interesting over the next 2-3 years. I bet there is a shit ton of people underwater in their cars right now. A lot of people over paid for cars in 21/22, now the used market is starting to cool and new inventory has recovered, plus with interest rates being not the best, I am guessing people are going to be holding onto their cars longer than they want to.

I guess I was remembering it backwards lol.

I don't want an EV obviously lol. I was saying I'd get whatever has the best resale value so I could immediately sell it and pocket the cash as $50k on a car is retarded. That's a down payment in a rental property.

Buy an older American Muscle car. They always appreciatte and are great fun. The popular ones won't be pristine at 50k, but nice enough (Chevelles, GTOs, Camaros, Chargers, Cudas). But the 2nd tier ones will be immaculate at that price and less-25-50k--Cutlass, Impala, Malibu, Nova, Monte Carlos, Certain Mustangs, Skylarks, Tempest, Coronet, etc. Stick to 1972 and back preferbly 70 and back.

1718474013543.png

or 75k CAD.

What do you get? Am I an idiot for considering a hellcat? I’ve never drove one before but seems it may be the last of its kind. I’ve been on the list for a ct5 blackwonf forever. I can get a hellcat Monday.
Maybe a 2021-22 Mustang Mach 1

2023 but you get the idea and prices are lower now with the 2024 models out.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spiritualseeker2000
Back