5*5 over 3*5?? Need help

Penkis

I
@purple
Reaction score
Hey guys!
Normally I train MMA and only lifted 1-2times a week but since I had a kneesurgery less than a month ago I'm stuck with the lifting.
I've been doing a modified version of the starting strength (obviously can't do any legwork such as DL and squats though).
A normal day in the gym for me looks about like:

Bench 5-5-5
Chins with extra weight 5-5-5
SOHP 5-5-5
50 GHD situps
+ kneerehabtraining

My question is: I've been reading here that a lot of you guys praise doing 5*5 sets instead of 3*5 as Mark Rippetoe suggests, why is that?

5x5 is good for getting a nice base of strength, but I personally prefer a rotation of 5x5, 5x3, and heavy single days when attempting to increase strength. 6 weeks out from a fight, I switch to 4 x 8s and complexes myself.
Also, add in some upper back stuff in addition to the chins. BORs come to mind.
Good luck w/ the rehab.

About BORs.
Im Swedish and just 16 years old so I don't really know what BOR is.
Could you post a video or something of it.

But I'm asking for the main difference between 3*5 and 5*5 sets.
I can't imagine that those two extra sets would do that much of a difference.

BOR is bent-over-row

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OzKfHz7NTf8&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OzKfHz7NTf8&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Did you just have surgery on one knee? If this is the case, you can still perform some unilateral lower body exercises and some of the strength will transfer over to the non-dominant leg.

Examples:
Pistol squats
single leg 45 degree back extensions.
Single leg deadlift

Try both the 3*5 and the 5*5. The extra work in the 5*5 may produce better gains.

BOR=bent over row, youtube dynamic rows. if the significance of 2 reps is negligible then you could probably drop from 3x5 and do 1x5, and still get the same results.. but no

BOR is bent-over-row

Did you just have surgery on one knee? If this is the case, you can still perform some unilateral lower body exercises and some of the strength will transfer over to the non-dominant leg.

Examples:
Pistol squats
single leg 45 degree back extensions.
Single leg deadlift

Try both the 3*5 and the 5*5. The extra work in the 5*5 may produce better gains.

OKay.
I've been doing some pistols on my healthy leg (can do like 12 in a row now) are you saing that isolating one leg will make the other one stronger aswell?
I can do really light legwork so I'm doing like 20 squats with 90 pounds as a part of my rehab.

Well 2 extra reps ain't much for one training, but think of the muscle stimulation in long term. Its a huge difference.

+ the 5 rep max is quite different from the 3 rep max.

Those are Pendalay rows by the way.

Well 2 extra reps ain't much for one training, but think of the muscle stimulation in long term. Its a huge difference.

+ the 5 rep max is quite different from the 3 rep max.

He's actually talking about the difference between 3 sets and 5 sets. Not sure where you're getting the 2 extra reps...?

OP: Some coaches recommend starting with 3*5 because of the form breakdown that most noobs face after some fatigue. My only advice is to try both and see which works best for you.

He's actually talking about the difference between 3 sets and 5 sets. Not sure where you're getting the 2 extra reps...?

OP: Some coaches recommend starting with 3*5 because of the form breakdown that most noobs face after some fatigue. My only advice is to try both and see which works best for you.

Damn, pardon my typo, tired and posting = bad combination.

But I did mean extra sets.

@topic starter
Read up on what stronglifts.com says about his version of the 5x5 and the reasoning behind the set/rep scheme..

Okay so 5*5 is much better as long as you do it with good form?

How about you try and find out what works best for you, instead of getting advise from a bunch of people you've never met?

How about you try and find out what works best for you, instead of getting advise from a bunch of people you've never met?

If I did that, I'd have a bodybuilder upper body with no legs/lower back strength, cardio, or fighting skills.
As far as the difference between the 3x5 and the 5x5: Extra work capacity is always good for a fighter in my opinion.

Maybe because the point of this forum is to give/get advice?

Like Finn. said, if no one asked any questions (such as, "why am I not making any progress by doing 12 reps for teh PUMPZzzzz) - alot of us would probably still be doing hypertrophy bullshit that ends up getting us nowhere in strength.

BOR=bent over row, youtube dynamic rows. if the significance of 2 reps is negligible then you could probably drop from 3x5 and do 1x5, and still get the same results.. but no

BOR and dynamic rows are not the same thing...

Maybe because the point of this forum is to give/get advice?

Like Finn. said, if no one asked any questions (such as, "why am I not making any progress by doing 12 reps for teh PUMPZzzzz) - alot of us would probably still be doing hypertrophy bullshit that ends up getting us nowhere in strength.

What about the fact that if no one asked questions here, there would be no message board.

What about the fact that if no one asked questions here, there would be no message board.

Apparently the point of a message board is to discuss what's already common knowledge among those that go to it, and not for other people to learn and get advice from those who've gone before... At least accordin' to Lorenz.

Back