4k UHD TVs

WorldofWarcraft

Holy Paladin
Banned
Reaction score
I have an old 40" Samsung LCD in my game room that I'm thinking of getting rid of. Anyone recommend getting a 4k led? I want to get a 50" replacement. I won't be watching TV with this. I'll basically be hooking up my PC to it like I'm doing now to my old Samsung. Browsing forums, watching netflix, playing console games. I'm playing FF12 right now on my PS2, would it look worse than on my 1080p lcd? Should I buy a Samsung ot Vizio or LG? I don't care about the "smart" aspect of it as I'll have a pc hooked up to it.

Just be careful you are actually buying real 4k rather than lg's 3k faux K

Why would you want a 4K tv to browse the web and to play ps2 games? I'm confused.

That's what I'm doing now, but it's better to get something that'll be relevant in the future.

Other than Raptors and Jays games no other north American sports broadcast in 4k yet. No tv shows or movies, and 99% of video games look the same on 4k. 4k requires a complete reconstruction of your household cable wiring and will only add to your monthly bill. Having a 4k tv now, is having a 4k tv just to have one without any reason to have one. Wait until 4k content becomes more readily available and the price drops.

Why would you bother? Just keep it until 4K is more mainstream. You're just throwing away your money unless you have a lot of disposable income. most rich people are good with their money though. Unless you are Kanye West.

Other than Raptors and Jays games no other north American sports broadcast in 4k yet. No tv shows or movies, and 99% of video games look the same on 4k. 4k requires a complete reconstruction of your household cable wiring and will only add to your monthly bill. Having a 4k tv now, is having a 4k tv just to have one without any reason to have one. Wait until 4k content becomes more readily available and the price drops.

I don't agree necessarily

4k content is ahead of where hd content was when 1080p came out

More and more cable company will need to invest into 4k at a faster rate to stem the tide from cord cutters

Some electronics manufacturer such as Samsung are coming out with 4k blue ray players to allow for true native 4k content

Netflix is also a big proponent of 4K and shows such as Marco Polo are filmed in 4k high dynamic range

the thing is, this old lcd is on its way out. I'm getting ghosting and burn in problems that's gotten way worse the last week or so. Whatever I get, I'll be keeping til it breaks or start to have problems like.this one which ive had for almost a decade

WLU29 is right but the cost of the tv compared to the amount of content offered is low.

Better off waiting till the content catches up and then the cost of the device goes down.

the thing is, this old lcd is on its way out. I'm getting ghosting and burn in problems that's gotten way worse the last week or so. Whatever I get, I'll be keeping til it breaks or start to have problems like.this one which ive had for almost a decade

If you have to buy a new TV then go with the 4k format, eventually the content will catch up to the technology

I have a 55" Sony 4K TV for a year. The picture is amazing. The only problem is finding stuff to watch. Even Netflix is very limited when it comes to 4K.

If your TV is becoming defective then just go get another 1080p LED TV. Then by the time 4k becomes more mainstream you can move the LED TV to another room as a backup TV or resell it at a hock/pawn shop.

I don't agree necessarily

4k content is ahead of where hd content was when 1080p came out

More and more cable company will need to invest into 4k at a faster rate to stem the tide from cord cutters

Some electronics manufacturer such as Samsung are coming out with 4k blue ray players to allow for true native 4k content

Netflix is also a big proponent of 4K and shows such as Marco Polo are filmed in 4k high dynamic range
"Coming out" " more and more" " a Netflix show". So the content isn't there yet and 4k, being a new technology is at an insane premium. So do you not think waiting a couple years, for when 4k content is readily available and the prices are cut in half is the more logical action. At this point you're spending an insane amount of money just to be the first pitch of your friends. While you're friends will wait two years, buy two tvs better than your one and actually use it for content

4K televisions upgrade the picture. Go to a place where they got eighty televisions all running the same content loop. I'd say they look better, and if you can get a great deal, like if it's about the same cost as the others, go for it.

If you buy 4K TV, buy OLED TV or at least Samsung SUHD JS9500.

I have a 55" Sony 4K TV for a year. The picture is amazing. The only problem is finding stuff to watch. Even Netflix is very limited when it comes to 4K.

And even those 4K on Netflix are upscaled 2K videos. It's like your 4K TV upscaling 2K content. The only real 4K movies are coming out now (four of them are already out, The Martian, Kingsman, The Maze Runner 2 and Exodus) and they say it's better than 2K BD in every way.

Back