4k UHD TVs

Just make sure that whatever you buy, has support for 4x4x4 Chroma and can do 4k@60hz (via HDMI 2.0 or display port).

Very few TVs actually support this, but they are absolute musts for trying to use a TV as a computer monitor.

Philips actually makes a really good 40" one that uses an IPS display for less than $600.

Speaking of availability of content, do cable broadcasts even come in 1080P? For the longest it seemed only on demand stuff was above 720P. Same with console games. Aren't they just now consistently 1080P? I could only imagine when 4K becomes common.

And SD stuff would probably hurt your eyes and give you headaches on 4K.

That's what I'm doing now, but it's better to get something that'll be relevant in the future.

I'd wait. Prices will go down and quality will get better. Don't need 4k for PS2. Seriously, I'm like, "Wait...what?"

EDIT: Oh you netflix, too. Never mind.

What I would do if I was in your position is buy another 40" for now. If you don't need a smart tv you can get a Samsung 40" for under $300. In a year or two, the 4K content will either be more plentiful or gone. If it catches on, the televisions will probably be cheaper by at least $500.

Shit, so I found out that there's no videocards out there that puts out 4k at 120hz.

I'm going with 1080 then

"Coming out" " more and more" " a Netflix show". So the content isn't there yet and 4k, being a new technology is at an insane premium. So do you not think waiting a couple years, for when 4k content is readily available and the prices are cut in half is the more logical action. At this point you're spending an insane amount of money just to be the first pitch of your friends. While you're friends will wait two years, buy two tvs better than your one and actually use it for content

If he wants to waste his money let him.

I'd personally do what hyperglide says, and that's get another LCD cheap, and wait 3+ years until 4K content is mainstream, then get a 4K TV as prices will have dropped even more, and use that as my "main" TV and move the LCD to my bedroom. I only say this because right now I recently bought my own house, and living in an apartment I only ever had 1 TV. Now I want/need 2 more (basement / game room (4K tv), bedroom, dining room / lounge area), and a newer LCD in the bedroom or lounge area is plenty fine while using the 4K in the basement.

I I have a 55 inch Sony, model XBR55X810C. It's fantastic. Do it if you want. You might die while waiting for more 4K content to become available. Live in the now.

I have 2 4k TV's, both Sammy's, no regrets. Upscale on a 720p TV show or a 1080p movie is beautiful. PC games in 4k (if thats your thing) is amazing as well.

I think the upscaling makes up for lack of content for me. Plus, prices are coming down big time since they came out.

Do you need 4k? No.
Is there enough content to verify a purchase? No.
Why did I get two 4k TV's? Because, I love technology and watching higher quality TV/movies.
Would I buy them again? You betcha.

4k is a personal preference right now, and far from mandatory. You will have people on both sides of the fence until TV broadcasting hits 1080p-4k and movies release in 4k, then the rest will jump ship. 4k TV's might change drastically within that time period, as we have no idea where the technology is going.

I have 2 4k TV's, both Sammy's, no regrets. Upscale on a 720p TV show or a 1080p movie is beautiful. PC games in 4k (if thats your thing) is amazing as well.

I think the upscaling makes up for lack of content for me. Plus, prices are coming down big time since they came out.

Do you need 4k? No.
Is there enough content to verify a purchase? No.
Why did I get two 4k TV's? Because, I love technology and watching higher quality TV/movies.
Would I buy them again? You betcha.

4k is a personal preference right now, and far from mandatory. You will have people on both sides of the fence until TV broadcasting hits 1080p-4k and movies release in 4k, then the rest will jump ship. 4k TV's might change drastically within that time period, as we have no idea where the technology is going.

I was once like you in wanting the latest and greatest technology but I was burned so many times. Quadrophonic sound systems, Laser discs, 8 track tapes, chromium oxide tapes, VHS tapes, Beta tapes, CDs, DVDs and Blu Ray.

"Coming out" " more and more" " a Netflix show". So the content isn't there yet and 4k, being a new technology is at an insane premium. So do you not think waiting a couple years, for when 4k content is readily available and the prices are cut in half is the more logical action. At this point you're spending an insane amount of money just to be the first pitch of your friends. While you're friends will wait two years, buy two tvs better than your one and actually use it for content

4k blue ray launches in march with minimum 10 titles and more everyday

Blue jays in 4k hdr is gonna be big

Just make sure that whatever you buy, has support for 4x4x4 Chroma and can do 4k@60hz (via HDMI 2.0 or display port).

Very few TVs actually support this, but they are absolute musts for trying to use a TV as a computer monitor.

Philips actually makes a really good 40" one that uses an IPS display for less than $600.
Careful Brampton_Boy you get what you pay for not all 4k is the same just as not all hd was the same

I'm still waiting for a Blu Ray player that will play a disc without spending an hour downloading updates, making a disc and loading it into the player.

yeah I'm stoked. The raps/magic game in london was 4k so I streamed it on my phone because it has a 4k display. Seemed nothing better than 1080 but the frames per second made it almost video game like with movements. Anything more than 60fps is alien to the eye. @therealdope explained the cons of buying 4k this early

Careful Brampton_Boy you get what you pay for not all 4k is the same just as not all hd was the same

I certainly understand where your coming from, but there are some really good deals to be had (and conversely, some absolute garbage that is out there)

As an example, newegg sells a Changhong 50" 4k Tv for $599. The set is absolute garbage, it is a TN panel, and outputs 4k at only 30hz. You definitely get what you pay for. The Philips panel in my original post is actually cheaper, but uses an IPS panel (the same one you find in Samsung and higher end LG models), and more importantly, has a display port. It has become a hit in the PC community.

This isn't a huge deal for people who only watch TV, but if intend to use it as a computer monitor, it is a must (unless you have a GTX 9XX series video card).

With that being said, my experience with these sets is only from the perspective of a PC user. The extra bells and whistles (apps, upscaling etc) never really mattered to me, so my knowledge of mainstream UHD displays is limited at best.

I bought the top non curve samsung 4k model last year and at most utilized 4k content a handful of times. IMO not really worth the 4k premium right now.

I just bought a Samsung 50" LED TV in 1080p. The biggest thing that persuaded me to go 1080p is that there's no videocard on the market right now that'll output at 4k at 120hz refresh rate.

I just hooked up the TV and noticed it's only got 2 freaking HDMI ports. Son of a bitch.... I don't feel like taking it back to Best Buy.

it's a bit of a hassle, bust just get a HDMI switch. Pretty sure you can get a 4-5 port one for $20-40

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I'm trying to look up if I'm going to lose picture quality if I use an HDMI switch or even just an HDMI cable extension, so I can easily hook up what I wanna use instead of leaning to the back of the TV. Same goes with the composite input

I know I've read longer cables can reduce quality -- can't say I've tested it in person though. I've never used anything longer than 6' I don't think, usually 3'.

It won't reduce quality. It's all or nothing. Longer cables are problematic because they may require additional power, but when insufficient they won't depict any picture.

Back