48-46 Cody is the correct scoring of the fight.

The only rounds the judges could agree on were rounds 3 and 4 went to cody. Meaning Cruz COULD have won 1,2 and 5. Just saying.. Cruz coulda won a decision had we had different judges.

Woulda been bad, very bad, if it happened

49-45 on my card

I had it 50-43 for Cody. Anybody who scores it differently than that is STUPID!!!!

Nah, I don't disagree with you, nor do I disagree with TS. Some of the rounds were very close and some were arguable for both sides, either score does kinda make sense in the end, but definitely a clear win for the almighty neck tat.

We all need to get neck tats now. Fuck, somebody should've made that bet, if Cody wins, the person they had the bet with needs to get a neck tat, but of their own choice of course. And if Cody lost, then the person who picked Cody needs to get a neck tat. Now THAT is a bet. Fuck betting the house, bet neck tats whenever Cody is fighting.

Round 1 - close but Cody got the better of the exchanges and landed the better shots

Round 2 - Dom edged this one out. Another close round but I gave it to Dom.

Round 3 - clear Cody round. Terrific footwork and striking. I think this was the round that Cody got that super athletic change of direction take down.

Round 4 - this one was a clear 10-8. Cody dominated the round and dropped Cruz multiple times. Probably the worst round of Doms career.

Round 5 - Dom won this just going for broke. Cody wasn't mounting much offensive and just wanted to run out the clock.

Anyone calling this fight a draw or a Cruz win is insane. Cody fought the best fight of his life last night. Was amazing to watch
I agree. The only thing I would say is that when I watched the fight live I thought Rd 1 was pretty close like you mentioned but when I watched again it was CLEARLY a 10-9 round for Cody.

Yes that is the only correct way to score this fight.

After a rewatch, Cruz won 1, 2, and 5. Even if 4 was a 10-8 that's a draw and the champion wins by default. So Cruz won, but I don't care either way.
I think you need to watch round 1 again man, I can't see how you could give that 1 to Cruz.

Even though the judges all got the score pretty much correct, they were all over the place yet again. One judge gave Cody the 1st, one judge gave Cruz the 2nd and one judge gave Cody the 5th. The only round they all scored the same was the 3rd. Concerning.

Round 1 - close but Cody got the better of the exchanges and landed the better shots

Round 2 - Dom edged this one out. Another close round but I gave it to Dom.

Round 3 - clear Cody round. Terrific footwork and striking. I think this was the round that Cody got that super athletic change of direction take down.

Round 4 - this one was a clear 10-8. Cody dominated the round and dropped Cruz multiple times. Probably the worst round of Doms career.

Round 5 - Dom won this just going for broke. Cody wasn't mounting much offensive and just wanted to run out the clock.

Anyone calling this fight a draw or a Cruz win is insane. Cody fought the best fight of his life last night. Was amazing to watch
I still see round one being Codys by a good margin

I had Dom winning Round 1, he out struck Cody and had better shots overall imo. Round 2 I give to Cody, even though Dom outstruck; Cody's gameplan worked to perfection this round he pulled Dom into his power shots and got better more clean power shots on Dom this round. Same story for Round 3 except Cody started executing his game plan more and taking over the fight. He was able to land some good power shots, stun Dom and even land a very nicely timed takedown.

Now I know people talk about the headbutt and if that played a factor; and ya it very well could of but I think Cody's game plan was already working at this point, but we'll never know. Now Round 4 again people talk about 10-8s and 10-9s. Look just cause someone gets knocked down doesn't mean they lose the round, but in order to win that round basically that person has to have dominated the round overall or outstruck them by a good 200-300% more.

Case in point, Kongo vs. Cain, Kongo dropped Cain in multiple times, yet Cain won 30-27 due to superior wrestling and overall striking. People also look to Condit vs. Diaz. Mainly people felt Diaz won as he had better overall strikes and was pressing the action. Yet on the scorecards it wasn't that close due to Condit outstriking Diaz by a sizeable margin. This is the same reason why Henderson lost against Bisping: however, if Hendo wins Round 5 he's MW Champion of the world.

Now going back to Round 4 I believe Dom outstruck him overall, but it wasn't by far and Cody dropped Dom 3, 4, 5 times whatever it was. I think this is a round that refs should use because Round 4 was a 10-8 no questions asked. Then you go to Round 5 Cody's up 39-36 and basically just trying not to lose the fight, which I don't agree with but it worked. Dom wins Round 5 and Cody wins the fight 48-46. Dom's a very smart fighter and good analyst and even he knew he lost the fight before it was announced.

So to me I think the scoring was pretty clear cut on this one. No draws no way of Dom winning. With all that being said have we've seen similar fights being scored different before and yes we have. I think the scoring in this one was easy, but again it seems that judges need to be more consistent. Even though the right fighter won the scores were all very different.

There needs to be more education, judges need to analyze this fight and see why Cody wins, then they need to look at the Condit-Diaz fight and see why Condit wins, and then Bisping-Hendo and see why Bisping wins. I could go on and on, the judging just needs to improve and I'm just glad they got this one right.

Happy New Year's Everyone!

Watching live I gave it Cody, giving him round 3, and round 4 10-8, and not knowing who won the other rounds, but thinking Dom def didn't deserve all 3.

I've rewatched, and I still can't declare a winner for rounds 1 or 2. They were both razor thin. There wasn't much in it in either round, and they both scored in similar ways. Thus, I think they're good candidates for 10-10 rounds.

Round 3 is still 10-9 Cody and Round 4 is still 10-8 Cody.

Round 5 had to be Dom's just based on aggression. He walked forward way more, and threw way more. Like TS said, Cody looked to just be running out the clock.

So I score it 49-47 to Cody Garbrandt.

Looking at judges' scorecards is interesting. I definitely disagree with Tony Weeks, who gave both 1 and 2 to Cruz, didn't score 4 10-8, AND gave 5 to Cody. Dunno what he's thinking. Anyway, interestingly, Cruz won rounds 1, 2, and 3 on the majority of judges' scorecards. That shows how close the fight was, even if it is a deceptive stat.

Agree.
Thought R2 was too close to call, 10-10 would have been fine with me.

After a rewatch, Cruz won 1, 2, and 5. Even if 4 was a 10-8 that's a draw and the champion wins by default. So Cruz won, but I don't care either way.

Yeah he definitely won the first round where he ate some heavy punches and got taken down

Jesus

I had it cody 4-1 with a 10-8 in round 4.

anyone that gave cruz round one is either a hater of cody's or a complete moron

It should have been

10-9 Cody
10-9 Cody
10-9 Cody
10-8 Cody
10-9 Cruz

IMO. The judges were just too merciful towards Cruz

I think you need to watch round 1 again man, I can't see how you could give that 1 to Cruz.
Cruz dropped him with a punch and took him down in both rounds 1 and 2. The rounds were basically identical.

Cruz dropped him with a punch and took him down in both rounds 1 and 2. The rounds were basically identical.
Nah bro, Cruz tried to take Cody down but he immediately reversed the position. The takedown didn't count for anything if you watch the fight and it discouraged Cruz for going for more takedowns . Cruz clipped Cody and dropped him in Rd 2.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back