the best fighters arent the champs? (now more than ever)

Druken_Vovchanchyn

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Is this the most amount of champs we have had that could be said to not be the best in each division?

I think there is questions around

Brandon Moreno - two losses to a guy in the divison alerady.
Aljamain Sterling - ducked his way to the belt
Alexander Volkanovski - did he really beat max?
Charles Oliveira - is he better than dustin or justin?
Jan Blachowicz - Is he really the best 205er? I mean he got a paper belt and lots think there are much better guys at 205. A lot of people didnt even think he would beat izzy

none of these are shots at the champs, well played to them for getting the belts. I just cant think of another time where there has been so many questions about this many champs.

Some that is debatable, but I definitely think the list of Champions will look a lot different in the near future.

I think Volkanovski is the best FW in the UFC, but yeah, the rest of them are debatable.

I'm happy with Jan at LHW, he still gets underrated but agree. Volk retiring Mendes, dominating Aldo in Brazil and beating Max twice (the second was close but Volk still won) is a fair run, hard to argue with .

Gane
Jan
Izzy
Usman
Dustin
Volk (If Ortega beats him then Max is the best of the triangle)
Yan
Moreno (Fig choked his problem I don't think he can revert back to his better self)

Why would Jan not be the best at LHW right now?

I agree that Dustin is the best 155er and I think he’ll smoke Charles. I love Do Bronx though.

Volk deserves more respect. He’ll show why tomorrow.

We all know Yan is on another level than Aljo.

Moreno has developed shitloads and is the best at FW imo. Figgy can’t handle the weight cut.

I don't get including Jan in there guy won and defended the belt. Jones is 260lbs and hasn't fought in 2 years and is off to prison. There's no valid argument here.

Why would Jan not be the best at LHW right now?

I agree that Dustin is the best 155er and I think he’ll smoke Charles. I love Do Bronx though.

Volk deserves more respect. He’ll show why tomorrow.

We all know Yan is on another level than Aljo.

Moreno has developed shitloads and is the best at FW imo. Figgy can’t handle the weight cut.

im not talking about figgy lol.. pantoja

Definitely a weak group of champions right now. Usman would have to be considered the strongest, followed by Adesanya. They are the only ones that have even had multiple defenses. Nganeau has not defended yet. Jan only has the 1 defense against Izzy. He can solidify himself with a win in his upcoming fight against Glover. Oliviera has not defended. Volk only has 1 defense. Sterling is a fraud and only won because of a foul. Moreno hasn't defended yet.

Charles is absolutely elite and many of the top lws can beat each other. Moreno is one of the most improved fighters I’ve ever seen. Yan is clearly better than aljo. Jiri is Jans biggest threat. If volk beats this Ortega he’s def the best. Max and him are both super elite. Usman is def the best at ww. Izzy and Rob are the two best guys at MW. And Francis is the best at HW imo we’ll have to see how Gane performs. Only one pretender on the throne rn and we all know who that is.

How can Moreno not be the best at flyweight?

Are you talking about Askar Askarov?

he is thinking about Pantoja who has 2 wins against him

Fair call, but I wouldn't say Pantoja is better than Moreno at this point. Great fighter, though, and well worth rematching.

Volk has proven himself to be the best, Holloway is a stud and as close as the second fight was, he's still 2-0 against him.

To Jan's credit, the LHW division is extremely shallow right now. This is the worst it's been in a long time and Jan probably is the best at this moment but is knocking on the door of that retirement age.

I don't think Jan is the best in the division but not because of Jones who is out of prime. I expect Jiri to give him problems.

This is actually a great thread.
Kudos to everyone identifying/debating who the best fighters in each division really are.
But now we must identify another point in time where the best fighters weren't the champs.
My two cents: 2016
bantamweight: Cody Garbrandt
featherweight: Conor McGregor
lightweight: Conor McGregor
welterweight: Tyron Woodley
middleweight: Michael Bisping

light heavyweight: Jon Jones
heavyweight: Stipe Miocic

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member