the best fighters arent the champs? (now more than ever)

I think oliveria can beat gaethje and poirier. Good chance

Is this the most amount of champs we have had that could be said to not be the best in each division?

I think there is questions around

Brandon Moreno - two losses to a guy in the divison alerady.
Aljamain Sterling - ducked his way to the belt
Alexander Volkanovski - did he really beat max?
Charles Oliveira - is he better than dustin or justin?
Jan Blachowicz - Is he really the best 205er? I mean he got a paper belt and lots think there are much better guys at 205. A lot of people didnt even think he would beat izzy

none of these are shots at the champs, well played to them for getting the belts. I just cant think of another time where there has been so many questions about this many champs.

Flyweight - The last dominant champ, Henry Cejudo, had two losses in the division too. Heck, even GSP had two losses in his division. Having losses in the past doesn't mean you can't be the best fighter in the future. More importantly, Moreno systematically took apart and crushed the previous champ Figuireido, who was on a great run himself. If that's not the best in the division I don't know who is.

Bantamweight - No arguments here. Aljamain was in the process of being dismantled before getting kneed in the face.

Featherweight - Yes Volkanovski beat Holloway in 8 out of 10 rounds. While the second fight's outcome can be argued, the first fight was a runaway victory. For Holloway to prove that he is the best, he has to beat Volkanovski for real instead of just a moral victory. If Ortega beats Volkanovski tomorrow, you might have an argument for the champ not being the best fighter, due to how badly Ortega got thrashed by Holloway. But for now, Volkanovski looks to be the best fighter in his division. He is on a 9 fight winning streak and has beaten everyone placed in front of him so far.

Lightweight - I can turn the question back to you. Is Dustin or Justin better than Oliveira? Until they actually fight, we can't say for sure.

Light Heavyweight - Blachowicz is too damned underrated in this forum. He beat Reyes convincingly. And Reyes beat up the previous LHW GOAT Jon Jones and chased him away to another division. Jiri is exciting but doesn't have good defense. Rakic may have a chance but who knows for sure. Teixeira is too old. So who else is better at 205?

Usman is really coming into his own, knocking dudes out, breaking skulls. He knows there's more money in being a killer and not a great wrestler with polished striking. I don't see anybody beating Izzy at 185lb anytime soon. Yan will get his tittle back soon, probably by the way of murder. Francis has been unreal, and Gane is a 50/50 fight. UFC is doing alright.

The best fighters on Earth aren’t anywhere near the UFC or any other org.

Once you realize that, it really isn’t a big deal.

Is this the most amount of champs we have had that could be said to not be the best in each division?

I think there is questions around

Brandon Moreno - two losses to a guy in the divison alerady.
Aljamain Sterling - ducked his way to the belt
Alexander Volkanovski - did he really beat max?
Charles Oliveira - is he better than dustin or justin?
Jan Blachowicz - Is he really the best 205er? I mean he got a paper belt and lots think there are much better guys at 205. A lot of people didnt even think he would beat izzy

none of these are shots at the champs, well played to them for getting the belts. I just cant think of another time where there has been so many questions about this many champs.
Great post and refreshing new topic. I agree with everything accept about Volk.and possible Gane. I do think he is the better fighter and more well rounded than big Frank and his one hitter quitter.

Ngannou
Jones
Izzy
Usman
Khabib
Volk
Cejudo
Cejudo

And let's not forget ngannou got his ass WHOOPED by Lewis, whereas Gane destroyed Lewis

iu

iu

Some of the guys you mention just won the belt, let them at least defend it several times before judging.

The reason I like mma because we get the underdogs winning the belt or at least give them a chance to fight for the title.
Boxing, usually they prefer unbeaten records competing for the title

The best fighters on Earth aren’t anywhere near the UFC or any other org.

Once you realize that, it really isn’t a big deal.

Yup.

1. Shaolin monks
2. Navy Seals
3. NBA players with 3 months of training

Back