Beneil Dariush Wants to be Backup Fighter

Ackmed

Silver Belt
Reaction score
According to this article Dariush's coach is asking for Dariush to be the backup fighter for Dustin vs Oliveira.

I can see him wanting a TS in case one has to pull out but by only asking to be the backup and not to have an opponent scheduled on the same card...effectively it means he's good with being inactive for quite a while. After a weight cut to be backup, he's not going to want to fight again soon.

Or maybe this was Ali's suggestion to protect Beneil from having to face (and lose) to Islam.

Dana said Islam vs Dariush was the fight to make....and shortly after that Dariush's camp makes a call-out....to be backup fighter

<BC1>

https://www.mmafighting.com/2021/7/...sh-backup-charles-oliveira-dustin-poirier-ufc

According to this article Dariush's coach is asking for Dariush to be the backup fighter for Dustin vs Oliveira.

I can see him wanting a TS in case one has to pull out but by only asking to be the backup and not to have an opponent scheduled on the same card...effectively it means he's good with being inactive for quite a while. After a weight cut to be backup, he's not going to want to fight again soon.

Or maybe this was Ali's suggestion to protect Beneil from having to face (and lose) to Islam.

Dana said Islam vs Dariush was the fight to make....and shortly after that Dariush's camp makes a call-out....to be backup fighter

<BC1>

https://www.mmafighting.com/2021/7/...sh-backup-charles-oliveira-dustin-poirier-ufc

I think Dariush is toughter fight for Islam, a way toughter fighter for Islam than Poirier certainly, maybe even tougher fight than Oliveira too. Maybe.

But on the other hand, I think Islam is also the toughest fight for Dariush.

Dariush paid his dues inside the octagon. He deserves to not fight Islam

Ducking Islam confirmed....

I think Dariush is toughter fight for Islam, a way toughter fighter for Islam than Poirier certainly, maybe even tougher fight than Oliveira too. Maybe.

What?

you’re way overestimating Dariush’s capabilities.

<BC1>

Please, Benny is much more proven than that guy whose balls you polish. For you to even suggest that Benny is afraid is completely absurd. Your boy just jumped like 8 spots beating the #15 guy, casuals may fall for that bullshit, but you're talking to the wrong ones sir.

Benny has been in the top 5 multiple times in this division and he's finally being consistent. Islam still needs to face someone in the top 10, then he can start looking at the top 5. Gives him time for the UFC hype machine to establish him as the next Khabib.

TL;DR: Benny earned his shot, you and Islam can eat my whole asshole.

I was just watching Chael commenting on this and he brought up an interesting point. Fighters that are willing to be backups usually get fast tracked to a title shot. Usman, Chandler, and others got a title shot after serving as backup.

This may be what Cordero is angling for. Dana gives Dariush a title shot against the winner of Oliveira vs. Porier. It’s better for Dariush as Justin, Islam, and Chandler are all bad matchups for him due to the wrestling disadvantage. It’s a short cut to a title shot.

Last edited:

Makhachev is one of the easiest matchups for Benny among top 20 LWs maybe the easiest

Benny started his win streak beating Moises and Dober... the 2 guys who Makhachev recently beat and prolly his 2 best wins.

Makhachev is a fight or 2 away from fighting Benny who should be in a title eliminator at least in his next bout so a backup makes sense.

Makhachev did it a lot easier than Beneil against their common two opponents. Dober almost had Beneil TKO'd.

The fact that one is vying to be a backup fighter while the other is asking for a top opponent shows who's more willing to fight the other.

Match ups make fights.

Dustin is arguably the toughest match-up for anyone in that division - he’s that good. Don’t confuse Islam for Khabib, regardless of how promising he looks.

Makhachev did it a lot easier than Beneil against their common two opponents. Dober almost had Beneil TKO'd.

The fact that one is vying to be a backup fighter while the other is asking for a top opponent shows who's more willing to fight the other.

Makhachev def dominated Dober more than Benny did who was in trouble.

But Benny 30-25'd Moises and only didnt finish since his fight was 3 rounds and he almost finished him in the 3rd. Makhachev had the full 5. Makhachev didnt have a single 10-8 let alone 2 before it went to round 4.

Beneil is a trump supporter so i can’t give his brain any credibility. Decent fighter but better dead than red!

Well to be fair, a lot of fighters are MAGA-heads so it’s not only Dariush. But his post fight speech was one of the cringiest things I’ve ever heard. It made Tony sound halfway normal. He also hung out with Candace Owens recently and is a Ben Shapiro fanboy so yeah, not the brightest bulb in the box.

Please, Benny is much more proven than that guy whose balls you polish. For you to even suggest that Benny is afraid is completely absurd. Your boy just jumped like 8 spots beating the #15 guy, casuals may fall for that bullshit, but you're talking to the wrong ones sir.

Benny has been in the top 5 multiple times in this division and he's finally being consistent. Islam still needs to face someone in the top 10, then he can start looking at the top 5. Gives him time for the UFC hype machine to establish him as the next Khabib.

TL;DR: Benny earned his shot, you and Islam can eat my whole asshole.

You do realize you can be a backup while still having a fight booked on the same card right?

In the 2% chance that a backup is needed you get a TS, and in the 98% chance a backup isn't needed u can cement your position as the next title contender (by winning) or risk dropping your rank (by losing) to Islam. In this case his risk of losing to Islam is high enough for him to prefer to be a backup-only

There’s levels to this, and Islam isn’t on dariush’s level yet.

I'd prefer Dariush fight another top 10 opponent on the same card.

It just makes sense when they bake in backups by having other suitable candidates available.

Makhachev def dominated Dober more than Benny did who was in trouble.

But Benny 30-25'd Moises and only didnt finish since his fight was 3 rounds and he almost finished him in the 3rd. Makhachev had the full 5. Makhachev didnt have a single 10-8 let alone 2 before it went to round 4.

Makhachev hasn't lost any of his last 20 rounds. Beneil also got almost KO'd by Drakar Klose and he eeked a split decision win over Ferreira.

Moises vs Dariush was Moises' debut at a young age.

Dariush is a top competitor but he's no Islam

Makhachev hasn't lost any of his last 20 rounds. Beneil also got almost KO'd by Drakar Klose and he eeked a split decision win over Ferreira.

Moises vs Dariush was Moises' debut at a young age.

Dariush is a top competitor but he's no Islam

Makhachev got KOd by Adriano Martins and rocked by Davi Ramos of all ppl lol

The judge that had the Ferreira fight split was on crack. Benny easily won the first 2 rounds. And prolly the 3rd too.

Back