What's sherdog obsession with fighters being fake?

TerraRayzing

Little eagle soars again
@Brown
Reaction score
Seriously, first it was DC and now it's Usman. What's with this whole shtick about fighters being fake that being a reason to legit dislike them and hoping they'd get KOed? Basically any fighter who tries to act nice gets this thrown at them and while some of them do have gimmicks, is this a justified reason to hate someone who you don't even know?
Jones is fake as fuck but that never made me dislike him, until he started with his retardation. With the amount of media these guys do and given the sorry state of MMA journalists, I don't blame them for saying inconsistent stuff.

Because that’s the norm of people today. Most people are assholes so when they see someone act like an asshole in public they feel better about themselves.

If there's one turn off to people, it's a blatant fake persona. Got nothing to do with how they are as fighters. As humans we judge other humans on human behavior. I wouldn't call DC and Usman fake though, just kinda confused at times.

Bones when he was coming up was fake as shit though.

Reactions: D'z
these two are the fakest imo !!
call it entertainment if youd like

tenor.gif

tenor.gif

once you cross the line with people's family , religion, and country

<Deported1>

Any fighter that shows common decency or courtesy is a pussy according to Sherdog lol

This is Sherdog. The posters hate everyone more successful than themselves.

Reactions: G10
Seriously, first it was DC and now it's Usman. What's with this whole shtick about fighters being fake that being a reason to legit dislike them and hoping they'd get KOed? Basically any fighter who tries to act nice gets this thrown at them and while some of them do have gimmicks, is this a justified reason to hate someone who you don't even know?
Jones is fake as fuck but that never made me dislike him, until he started with his retardation. With the amount of media these guys do and given the sorry state of MMA journalists, I don't blame them for saying inconsistent stuff.
Because there's more to fighting than just the fights. I mean OBVIOUSLY, I didn't think this even needed to be mentioned, yet here we are. If this weren't true, then there'd be no fighter interviews, no behind-the-scenes-access, no fightweek press and drama, no followers on twitter/instagram, etc.,
People get behind and root for a fighter for TONS of different personal reasons, ranging from the fighters in-ring abilities to their personality, nationality, religion, race, gym, appearance, etc.,
So when someone is fake, or a shitty human, or a liar (or a genuine dude, good person, smart, intelligent, charismatic), people will take that into account when rooting for or against them. But you HAD to have already have known all of this. . . I hope.

The biggest fake of them all.
<{danayeah}><{danawhoah}><31>

I think it's just the nature of celebrity + combat sports.

You see how cruel tabloids are with celebs, so there's a market for that type of shit but in combat sports it's the fans themselves that take on that role. I think it's just that for the fans the fighters exist in this vacume of hyper reality where they have extra human attributes and expectations levied against them.

I think for the fighters they on some level buy into their on hype to get in that winning mindset and it just seems like it becomes easy to get lost in that space. So, I think what ends up happeneing is they, the fighters, end up having to make some level of effort to remain humble and be true to that image while so many other parts of their existence are very contrary to that.

It’s a catch 22. You can’t win.

If a fighter doesn’t like media and doesn’t open up they are boring, if they act the way they think people expect them to act they are fake.

I hate people, so I can relate to fighters who struggle to relate to the fans. They need the fans to fund their career, yet I am sure they want to be left the fuck alone when under immense stress, pressure and often these things intersect when they are dehydrated and hungry.

If I was a fighter everyone would hate me and I would probably be happiest that way.

I recently realized that the parents on my daughters soccer team approach me the way you would approach a rabid dog...
and I like it that way.

If we accept that fans love or hate fighters based on non-fighting aspects (e.g. personalities, or "out-of-octagon shit"), it makes sense to me that a perceived lack of authenticity would turn fans off.

So TS, are you really asking "why do sherdoggers care about out-of-octagon shit at all"?

Fact is, a majority of fans love or hate fighters for lots of non-fighting reasons. I firmly believe "he's fake" is not even close to the dumbest reason. Maybe lower top 10.

So isn't the broader question why fans do it in the first place?

Last edited:
They hate you if you're an asshole and assume you're fake if you act like a decent guy. At the end of the day anyone who comes on an MMA forum to shit talk about fighters are just jealous they managed to achieve a level of success at something they never will.

Human have 3 face.1 of them you show the world,the second face you show close friends and family and third face you never show anyone

It seems like the kind of people who complain about inauthenticity think you need to be a trashy, semi-literate, drug-addicted syphilitic to be "real".

Back