How good was Tim Sylvia?

Yrat

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Before Tim lost to Randy Tim had the ufc belt during 2006 after two wins over Arlovski and then Jeff Monson.

Tim was tall and had a decent wrestling. My question is, was he really good back then and would he handle Mirko Cro Cop or Sergey Kharitonov if they would have fought 2005-2006?

He’d have a chance against cro-cop, but prime Sergei beats him 8/10 times.

I will disagree with my good friend Mr. @Paynebringer.
I think Sylvia is underrated by today’s fans. In his prime, he had much better movement a decent striking too. Prime Sylvia today would get beaten by the elite HWs no doubt, but I could see him still being Top 10.

edit: to answer the question, he def loses to Kharitonov. Might beat Mirko in a cage, but I doubt it. He probably loses to both.

Last edited:
The Fedor vs Tim fight speaks for itself.
Gets KO'd and chocked in 36 seconds.

Couture would have shown more threat to Cro Cop than Tim.

The UFC HW's at that time weren't as good as the Pride HW's. Tim and Arlovski were behind Fedor, Mirko, Big Nog and Barnett.

This is why he never appears in any HW GOAT discussion.

HW rankings are shown below from January 2008, shortly after he lost the UFC belt. He was considered a "good" UFC fighter at the time, however there was still a lot of HW talent fighting in Pride at the time. Timmy would have never held HW gold if Pride heavyweights were in the UFC during that period.

upload_2021-4-13_10-16-40.png

Unstoppable on a moped.

tim-sylvia-scooter.jpg

It depends which Timmy shows. One of those incarnations where he outlasted AA and should give UFC Cro Cop trouble in the cage. He is just one of those guys who is too big and injury prone. He also isn't athletic.

What is Sergei in his prime? I thought he was in his prime when he lost to Alexs. The Golden Glory Sergei is just a squared kickboxer who doesn't kick. He is also chinny from training in Holland all the time. His boxing is a little overrated as in he is a pro competing in amateur competition. People like to bring up he was Olympic hopeful for one of the former USSR countries but that country didn't even have a boxing team for previous olympics. The one Sergei was suppose to compete in had one LW fighter on the team.

I will disagree with my good friend Mr. @Paynebringer.
I think Sylvia is underrated by today’s fans. In his prime, he had much better movement a decent striking too. Prime Sylvia today would get beaten by the elite HWs no doubt, but I could see him still being Top 10.

edit: to answer the question, he def loses to Kharitonov. Might beat Mirko in a cage, but j doubt it. He probably loses to both.

I agree, top 10 because he knew how to bully and use his size I don't believe you would have to be elite to whip him just smarter and not let him hold onto you with his size make him move all that mass constantly always chipping away at him until he tires and fall.

Not good at all, his sole advantage in all fights was his size. Once true skillz & cage IQ took over in mma his size became useless.

I agree that size was his biggest advantage. But I disagree on fight IQ. I feel like he was one of the better IQ fighters who actually used his size to his advantage. Look at some of these other big dudes like Struve. Struve fights close up instead of using his range. Timmy knew his skillset and limitations and fought pretty good within them.

He's probably be top 7 now. I think both Mirko and Sergei beat him b/c of speed though.

He was great when he was on the gear. Not so good without it. That was way back when he got popped right before UFC 47 (I think). First time 2 Maine fighters were going to be on the same card. After Tim popped there was only one Maine boy.

Good enough to be the champ in the second best HW division in the world at that time, that’s pretty respectable

Timing is everything back then HW's were less skilled in overall mma.

Back