The reason Yan knee'd Aljo

what-wut

Black Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
When I was watching the fight LIVE I saw the referee say outloud that Aljo was grounded THE MOMENT he placed his hand on the ground.

because of that I thought that his hand was what keeping him grounded and once Aljo didn't have his hand there I thought it was yan's chance to blast him in the face.

I'm fairly certain the same thing was going through yan's head. It was kinda poor timing from the ref.

Bouts have ended from nutshots, same thing.

i think you guys are mistaken.
aljo has developed jedi mind tricks. he mentally told jan to foul him for the dq.

imo this makes aljo even more next level #goat

If you look at the replay, while the fight is stopped and Aljo is rolling around Yan is making a gesture to his corner moving both of his hands with his palms down like saying "I though his hands were off the mat", which they were, but his knee obviously wasn't. He messed up though, as it's a really basic rule that he should know about.

When I was watching the fight LIVE I saw the referee say outloud that Aljo was grounded THE MOMENT he placed his hand on the ground.

because of that I thought that his hand was what keeping him grounded and once Aljo didn't have his hand there I thought it was yan's chance to blast him in the face.

I'm fairly certain the same thing was going through yan's head. It was kinda poor timing from the ref.
Yan actually confirmed it in his post-fight interview (and I opened a thread about it as well).
He said that a referee before the fight explained him the rules, and when he mentioned grounded opponent rules, he only spoke about the position of hands on the mat, because of that Yan looked at Sterling's hands position, and when the hands weren't on the ground, he hit him.

1) Yan didn't mean it
2) It was an illegal blow
3) Sterling wasn't hurt
4) It was still an illegal blow, thus DQ decision is fine
5) Unlucky circumstances, run it again, problem solved.

Naw man. There has never been a time that a fighter on his back, belly, ass or knees was considered down. The 3 points of contact was added later allowing fighters to put a hand down to avoid kicks and knees.

1) Yan didn't mean it
3) Sterling wasn't hurt
I heard Sterling had called out Cejudo

I know it's the rules and all, but I'm surprised that nobody has talked about how Aljo exploited that rule, by going down on his knees. Once he was grabbed, he instantly took a knee to avoid any knee strikes. It's the rules and all, but at the same time, it's kind of a loophole to avoid taking damage in a certain way. Aljo knew what he was doing and should know about the risk that his opponent might not have caught on that he quickly downed himself, for the sake of eliminating a type of strike.

This really reminded me of the Weidman v Mousasi fight, where Weidman took a knee when they tied up, only to not be fully planted, resulting in a clinched knee to the face. Weidman tried to play it off like a foul but the tape should it was legal, giving him a DQ loss instead of a DQ win. He tried to game the system then and it blew up in his face. This new case with Aljo feels similar, and it's ironic that they belong to the say camp. Of course, that detail doesn't necessarily mean anything.

We all know Yan did it because Aljo is black & Yan knew his white privilege would allow him to escape without consequences.

Everyone knows Yan didn't do it on purpose which means he thought aljo wasn't grounded

Everyone except for a handful of idiots on here that spent this weekend bitching that he threw away his title in a fight he was winning just so he could land an illegal knee.

That tard who was talking about how "dishonorable" Yan was cracked me up

Yan actually confirmed it in his post-fight interview (and I opened a thread about it as well).
He said that a referee before the fight explained him the rules, and when he mentioned grounded opponent rules, he only spoke about the position of hands on the mat, because of that Yan looked at Sterling's hands position, and when the hands weren't on the ground, he hit him.

He said the word grounded very loudly as soon as hands went down. Very bad timing from the ref in my opinion.

He was caught up in the moment.

It happens

Rematch this summer.

1) Yan didn't mean it
3) Sterling wasn't hurt
3 and 4 can't both be true.....

3 and 4 can't both be true.....

By that logic if there's no crash, you can go through the red light.

Are you telling me that's the exact ruling in UFC? (I can accept it, I'm honestly asking cause that would be fucked up)

Back