How bad is Ben Askren's boxing really?

superpunch

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
We're all picking Jake Paul to beat him but let's really think about it. Askren has been training striking every day, sparring pro fighters, for 10+ years with Anthony Pettis, Tyron Woodley, Mighty Mouse, and RDA. He's a championship athlete in 2 different sports. People are acting like he's so bad that he'd get KOd by random in-shape guys at the local cross fit gym or random street fighters.

Is it really possible to train striking everyday for 10 years at a professional and be that bad? Or is it more realistic that he's actually very good compared to the average person, and just looks really bad against pro fighters?

tenor.gif

Not good for an mma fighter but let’s not pretend he doesn’t train boxing or at least has an advantage over your average Joe. He would box the piss out of your average Joe easily. His defense isn’t that bad either.

We're all picking Jake Paul to beat him but let's really think about it. Askren has been training striking every day, sparring pro fighters, for 10+ years with Anthony Pettis, Tyron Woodley, Mighty Mouse, and RDA. He's a championship athlete in 2 different sports. People are acting like he's so bad that he'd get KOd by random in-shape guys at the local cross fit gym or random street fighters.

Is it really possible to train striking everyday for 10 years at a professional and be that bad? Or is it more realistic that he's actually very good compared to the average person, and just looks really bad against pro fighters?

he is that bad, but he has every possibility of toughing it out and outlasting himself, depending on how many rounds the fight is

I'm assuming you have seen his fights? You can be a great wrestler without being able to punch.

I am not concerned about his chin as much as his technique, speed and power. Nothing looks to be great for him.

One time I saw Ben Askren walking down the street while an Ice cream truck was driving by.
Buncha kids stopped the truck to buy some candy and he walked up and stole it all from them.
The Ice cream man was pretty miffed about this so he jumped out of the truck and beat Ben Askren like a piñata at my 3rd cousins birthday party . Candy was flying everywhere with every shot the Ice cream man landed. All the kids loved it. Then the Icecream man hopped in the truck and drove off while blasting this song

So yes, it is possible.

Last edited:
definite better chance than Nate Robinson lol...

but seriously, Ben's striking, boxing specifically, looks terrible. I don't know that I've ever seen him throw punches with his weight behind them, they're all just the arm.

I hope he wins for MMA sake, but I don't think he has a huge advantage outside of having been in big fights before.

Back