Agree/Disagree? Cannonier Had As Good a 2019 as Masvidal Did. Minus The Hype..

GoshiShun17

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
And the BMF belt of course. But just on paper. Jorge KOed two guys who he was an underdog against, in brutal fashion. Darren Till and then Ben Askren. And then brutalized and injury TKOed a legend in Nate Diaz.

Cannonier came in as the underdog against formally ranked fighter David Branch and the surging, highly dangerous Jack Joker Hermansson. KOed both guys while fighting a legendary GOAT in between time and injury TKOing him.

But enough about that. Let's talk a bit about this Whittaker vs. Cannonier matchup. As dangerous as Jared has been looking, this is the first time at 185 where he is fighting someone who actually is a threat to KO him. No disrepect to his former opponents but the threat was much smaller tbh.

I'm confident that most people weren't overly impressed by Rob's fight against Till, but I think it was a stylistically tough matchup to look great in for Rob. Especially with the millions of feints Till uses for no reason lol.. Rob actually looked faster against Israel but that's probably just because he was attacking so much more.

Some good things Rob did show was that he's still more than ready to go at it for 5 rounds. We haven't seen Jared gone 5 rounds yet and its been a while since he's went the full 3. Maybe it won't matter much as this will be a 3 rounder. Whittaker showed that he's willing to mix in the takedowns to keep his opponents honest. He's not the strongest offensive wrestler but he'll go for it. He also showed a bit of his legendary recovery when Till caught him.

Rob is covers ground fast and his blitz is still his go to move. That can either win him the fight by KO or be his brutal demise. Rob moves around a lot more on the feet than Jared, and he tries to use more trickery and mix up.

But Jared IMO is probably better at making defensive reads. He doesn't use a lot of wasted movements. It seems he takes the first few minutes to try and download your patterns of attack. He finds his range well and has decent head movement. The raw power advantage goes to him and his chin is solid as well. His offense is more basic than. Rob's but Jared is powerful with laser sharp power and precision on those leg kicks. Most of his punches go straight down the pipe.

If Rob gets too repetitive or predictable than Jared can definitely make a read and counter him. I don't believe Rob's grappling will be too much of a factor here. One x factor might be that Rob has been keeping busy while Jared was sidelined with the injury.

I expect Whittaker to look a bit better than he did against Till. Hopefully Jared will be in peak form as well. I have to admit that I'm pulling for Cannonier here. He's and underdog story similar a bit to Masvidal and Jan in that they are guys in the mid 30's, whoa out a year and a half ago, no one looked at as serious title contenders. Then they went on KO streaks but are still considered underdogs to top guys.

Of course Masvidal gets lot more hype and talks a lot more than Jan and Jared but I'm strictly talking about the performances. Plus I'm not much interested in Adesanya vs. Whittaker 2. I'd rather see Adesanya vs. Cannonier and the maybe The Joker if Israel wins.

I sorta disagree? Beating up a 40something Anderson Silva and David Branch isn't that impressive, though Branch is a decent win. His fight vs Hermansson was impressive though. I think he'll be the underdog vs Whittaker but hope he wins.

Masvidal and Cannonier are 36, so they both are blooming super late which is rare and cool.

I sorta disagree? Beating up a 40something Anderson Silva and David Branch isn't that impressive, though Branch is a decent win. His fight vs Hermansson was impressive though. I think he'll be the underdog vs Whittaker but hope he wins.

Masvidal and Cannonier are 36, so they both are blooming super late which is rare and cool.
Anderson is definitely not a win to brav about. But the again, Askren has looked absolutely shit in the UFC, and Diaz is an inconsistent journeyman who barely fights. What do you think about Whittaker vs. Cannonier?

Cannonier doesn't get the hype cause he beat Silva who many consider done and that he lost by injury...however he legkick tko'd Silva who held his own against the current 185 champ not long before.

Mas is overrated and has that typical school yard brute personality that draws eyes. Cannonier is legit imo but he's barely noticeable as he doesn't talk trash...as sad as that is

Cannonier at MW sure is scary considering he's a former heavyweight. The guy is a power house and if he can do that to Hermansson he can do it against Rob. I see a classic Strength vs Speed match up, both guys having KO-power.
I see Cannoniers key to victory will be the clinch game, he can't let Rob be on the outside then I see it going much like the Romero fight with Robs high fight IQ reading incoming offense and countering.

No. Till and Askren were both top 5. Ben undefeated. Hermanson was a great win. Branch was a good win but he just tapped to sturikes against Luke. Anderson was way washed up. Even Nate was top 10 at WW.

Frankly I'm not sure if Cannonier even beats Darren Till let alone stiffens him like Masvidal did

Anderson is definitely not a win to brav about. But the again, Askren has looked absolutely shit in the UFC, and Diaz is an inconsistent journeyman who barely fights. What do you think about Whittaker vs. Cannonier?

I feel like I haven't seen enough from Cannonier to form definitive opinions at 185 and at 205 he was simply outsized but did show really good hands vs Cutelaba. Ya know the win vs Hermansson says a lot but the wins vs Branch and Anderson not so much, he's 36 too. I hope he beats Whittaker just for the sake of title challengers at 185lbs. Rob's striking looked sloppy to me vs Till and Adesanya and he seemed to rush forward uncomfortable with changing ranges, I wonder if the Romero fights took something out of him because he looked phenomenal blistering Jacare and Brunson but hasn't looked very threatening on the feet since. Rob's still young but this is Cannoniers last stand.

Can't give a technical breakdown unfortunately, not super familiar with either guys gamr as of late.

not even close.

Whittaker hasn't won by finish, let alone KO'ed anybody, in 3 and a half years.

Right before he faced Cannonier, David Branch KO'ed Thiago Santos in spectacular fashion.

<Huh2>

Cannonier beat Silva and Jack in 2019. Branch fight happened in 2018.

Cannonier is overrated. He beat old Anderson Silva and Hermannson who sucks against power punches

And the BMF belt of course. But just on paper. Jorge KOed two guys who he was an underdog against, in brutal fashion. Darren Till and then Ben Askren. And then brutalized and injury TKOed a legend in Nate Diaz.

Cannonier came in as the underdog against formally ranked fighter David Branch and the surging, highly dangerous Jack Joker Hermansson. KOed both guys while fighting a legendary GOAT in between time and injury TKOing him.

But enough about that. Let's talk a bit about this Whittaker vs. Cannonier matchup. As dangerous as Jared has been looking, this is the first time at 185 where he is fighting someone who actually is a threat to KO him. No disrepect to his former opponents but the threat was much smaller tbh.

I'm confident that most people weren't overly impressed by Rob's fight against Till, but I think it was a stylistically tough matchup to look great in for Rob. Especially with the millions of feints Till uses for no reason lol.. Rob actually looked faster against Israel but that's probably just because he was attacking so much more.

Some good things Rob did show was that he's still more than ready to go at it for 5 rounds. We haven't seen Jared gone 5 rounds yet and its been a while since he's went the full 3. Maybe it won't matter much as this will be a 3 rounder. Whittaker showed that he's willing to mix in the takedowns to keep his opponents honest. He's not the strongest offensive wrestler but he'll go for it. He also showed a bit of his legendary recovery when Till caught him.

Rob is covers ground fast and his blitz is still his go to move. That can either win him the fight by KO or be his brutal demise. Rob moves around a lot more on the feet than Jared, and he tries to use more trickery and mix up.

But Jared IMO is probably better at making defensive reads. He doesn't use a lot of wasted movements. It seems he takes the first few minutes to try and download your patterns of attack. He finds his range well and has decent head movement. The raw power advantage goes to him and his chin is solid as well. His offense is more basic than. Rob's but Jared is powerful with laser sharp power and precision on those leg kicks. Most of his punches go straight down the pipe.

If Rob gets too repetitive or predictable than Jared can definitely make a read and counter him. I don't believe Rob's grappling will be too much of a factor here. One x factor might be that Rob has been keeping busy while Jared was sidelined with the injury.

I expect Whittaker to look a bit better than he did against Till. Hopefully Jared will be in peak form as well. I have to admit that I'm pulling for Cannonier here. He's and underdog story similar a bit to Masvidal and Jan in that they are guys in the mid 30's, whoa out a year and a half ago, no one looked at as serious title contenders. Then they went on KO streaks but are still considered underdogs to top guys.

Of course Masvidal gets lot more hype and talks a lot more than Jan and Jared but I'm strictly talking about the performances. Plus I'm not much interested in Adesanya vs. Whittaker 2. I'd rather see Adesanya vs. Cannonier and the maybe The Joker if Israel wins.

I’d say no, only based on name recognition of both of their opponents.

Mas has always and will be a street fighter. With negative ground game. In mma u want to evolve. He has not evolved once since joining mma organizations. And im a huge fan of him personally.

Great analysis. Jared is a tough matchup for Rob IMO just like you said.

People talk about his power and it's undeniable. But his reach is crazy for his height, he's the same height as Rob with 4" of reach advantage!

I see people say that he can't leave Rob on the outside, but why not? He can touch him from further away.

It's also deceptive because it means that fighters can't guage reach the same way since it's so disproportionate to his height. Tough place to be for an in and out fighter.

If Rob wants to get in and out then he has to pass right through Jared's range on the way in and on the way out.

But the problem with a compact economical guy like Cannonier is that you can't really get "in" on him. He's a tank with a defensive shell that just happens to have crazy long arms.

There's no "in" to get into, like Gastelum was able to do to Adesanya, that range where the taller guys punches come from above but the shorter guys punches still come from below. That place where Struve gets caught.

He can lower his chin and crouch and leave no target while his punches still come from further away. He's a mean kicker too.

He's also very economical. Few wasted movements but also little hesitation when the openings appear. Good defense, good timing and shot selection. So Rob will be expending energy to get in on a guy that doesn't really open up unless he sees an opening himself. I like Rob but I think he's going to get cracked.

Edit: David Branch, Hermannson, Silva all have the same reach as Cannonier (Branch was even longer) and he took them all out.

Cannonier smashed Anderson while Israel could only beat anderson via decision. Jared will smash ISrael

Back