In 2007, Nick Diaz fought Takanori Gomi completely blazed

Renzo Machida

Carlson Gracie Lineage
@Orange
Reaction score

"Apparently, the commission felt that the level for which Diaz tested at, 175, was a considering factor in his performance during the fight. Dr. Tony Alamo, the Commission’s Chair, said that a result of 15 is considered positive, but that the NSAC has a threshold of 50 to test positive for THC and that they “feel very comfortable that everyone that tests positive [in Nevada] is truly positive.”

Alamo went on to say, “Mr. Diaz was 175. This creates a unique situation. I was there at this fight and believe that you were intoxicated and… that it made you numb to the pain. Did it help you win? I think it did.”"

e55267356563c8890b165ae6d0927106.gif

People seem to think that being high on THC means you don't feel pain. Wtf is that? Of course you feel pain. Fighting while high does not help you win. No matter how comfortable you are when you're high, your reaction time is slower, you're less focussed, and you won't be able to act in the moment as well. It's a handicap, not a PED

Fucking awesome fight as well, spin it any way you like, that night Nick beat one of the best fighters in the world fair and square, and did it in style

Dude should get a medal if he was fighting that high, I can't even put my duvet cover on while lifted

If the guy had actually fought just one time in my 3-4 years watching the big fights. Maybe I’d give a damn. Conor has had a cpl fights in my time. He was completely squashed in one against the champ. GSP has had one fight in my time and went up in weight after a long time away to win the belt.

But this guy has never fought in my time and has never held a UFC belt.

tenor.gif

People seem to think that being high on THC means you don't feel pain. Wtf is that? Of course you feel pain. Fighting while high does not help you win. No matter how comfortable you are when you're high, your reaction time is slower, you're less focussed, and you won't be able to act in the moment as well. It's a handicap, not a PED
Dunno about that, tbf. I always played tennis much better high. I know that's apples and oranges, but it sort of repressed any nerves and allowed me to focus more. I'm not advocating that this made me physically superior, or that it's similar for Diaz, but it certainly helped me channel emotions and absolutely play better. I think everyone has a different reaction. Having said that, it's just weed- hardly a PED, and not a super drug. I suspect it won't mitigate any pain either. Getting punched sucks.

If the guy had actually fought just one time in my 3-4 years watching the big fights. Maybe I’d give a damn. Conor has had a cpl fights in my time. He was completely squashed in one against the champ. GSP has had one fight in my time and went up in weight after a long time away to win the belt.

But this guy has never fought in my time and has never held a UFC belt.

tenor.gif
that's such a shame man, seriously, you missed all the best stuff, ALL the best stuff

what you watch now is the turd rolled in glitter, not the gold in the shitter

Awesome memory. I didn’t remember what the commissioner’s chair said, so thanks for posting. I don’t think it would make anyone numb to pain, but it could have helped him relax.

you should see me tile a bathroom high, concentration levels off the hook, shit looks awesome

but ask me to have a conversation with my wife's neice... nah, I can stare with my mouth open but that kinda freaks people out

Dunno about that, tbf. I always played tennis much better high. I know that's apples and oranges, but it sort of repressed any nerves and allowed me to focus more. I'm not advocating that this made me physically superior, or that it's similar for Diaz, but it certainly helped me channel emotions and absolutely play better. I think everyone has a different reaction. Having said that, it's just weed- hardly a PED, and not a super drug. I suspect it won't mitigate any pain either. Getting punched sucks.
Don't get me wrong, there's things you can do better while high. But fighting is such a dynamic thing and MMA in particular has so many skillsets that you really need to be in your head properly to be at your best

It alters you. Different people different effect. Some people get creative, some get paranoid, some are calmer.
Either way, it alters you psyche.

It alters you. Different people different effect. Some people get creative, some get paranoid, some are calmer.
Either way, it alters you psyche.
Of course it does. Which is why it's a handicap in MMA, not a PED

Have you ever worked out high? Pain does indeed go away and you work out a lot longer than you usually can. The burn that you normally feel isn't the same I fully believe THC is a PED in certain respects

I'm talking from experience

Don't get me wrong, there's things you can do better while high. But fighting is such a dynamic thing and MMA in particular has so many skillsets that you really need to be in your head properly to be at your best
I generally agree. I think Diaz trains, eats, and sleeps high though. I wouldn't be surprised if it had little to no impact on him.

Punch him a bunch.

Get exhausted.

He drowns you.

He and his brother have a proclivity for coming back this way.

Having said that, watching them lose is a treat for me. Can't stand them, but I respect and love watching them fight.

Tell that to all the NFL players that smoke weed every day to help alleviate the absurd amount of pain they live with while a football season is going on. There have been dozens of players that have literally retired in their 20s because their bodies couldn't handle living without marijuana to manage the pain.

Also the first ever Olympic snowboarding gold medalist won his medal while completely baked and had his medal stripped. Clearly smoking weed had it's advantages for this man.

Back