My idea to settle bad decisions or surprise decisions

Bearknuckle

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
The scores after each round should be displayed on the jumbo screen. Its done in every sport. Why not mma? Fighters and everyone can know who’s ahead and whos behind, and fight accordingly. It really makes no sense that the scores are all a secret and then finally revealed at the end. Imagine a basketball game that didnt display the scores, and after 3 hours, they just announce a winner.

I guess the counter argument is that fighters who are ahead on the cards with absolute certainty, will be more likely to stall and disengage from the action to secure a win. Which isn't the best for the fans.

Fighters aren't dumb, they know which rounds they've usually won, in the Co-main Max was signalling "2-0" with his hands going into the third. He needed to secure one more round and wasn't able to do it.

They should have six judges - three cage side, three watching on monitors.

I guess the counter argument is that fighters who are ahead on the cards with absolute certainty, will be more likely to stall and disengage from the action to secure a win. Which isn't the best for the fans.

Fighters aren't dumb, they know which rounds they've usually won, in the Co-main Max was signalling "2-0" with his hands going into the third. He needed to secure one more round and wasn't able to do it.
That isnt really an issue, a guy behind will know for sure he’s behind, and will have no excuse in saying, i thought i won the 3rd or something.

and that also happens in sports, it adds a pressure dynamic as well, being behind and running out of time calls for action. When a team is ahead, they try to run the clock out, and the other team is pressured to score.

Max calling that he was up 2-0 doesnt mean anything, now if the scores were up, he would know he needed 1 more....and so would everyone. So going into the 5th, everyone would know what the situation is. There would still be the suspense as the 5th and final round would still be a surprise score.

They need an odd number of judges in case of split decision. No one wants a bunch of draws. 5 or 7 bruh
How would there be a bunch of draws? A lot o; fights dont go to the judges.
The ones that do are usually unanimous.
This scoring display will just make it more clear and open to everyone so theres less controversial decisions. It really puts the fights in the hands of the fighters more than the judges tbh. If ur down 3-1, u will need a finish, or force a big 10-8 to get a draw, and the other fighter would need to fight hard to not lose a 10-8. It really adds a great dynamic to the game, because lets be honest, is the current system good? Hell no.

Wouldn't change anything. At all.

Neither would more knowledgable judges.

Neither would chaning the scoring system.

Neither would anything.

Well, except for changing the format to fighting untill a decisive win, but that's obviously not gonna happen.

How would there be a bunch of draws? A lot o; fights dont go to the judges.
The ones that do are usually unanimous.
This scoring display will just make it more clear and open to everyone so theres less controversial decisions. It really puts the fights in the hands of the fighters more than the judges tbh. If ur down 3-1, u will need a finish, or force a big 10-8 to get a draw, and the other fighter would need to fight hard to not lose a 10-8. It really adds a great dynamic to the game, because lets be honest, is the current system good? Hell no.
Because the only way there are draws today is if judges score draw rounds, there would be draws even if there were no draw rounds given if there were 6 judges. (3 judges scoring it for figher A, 3 judges scoring it for fighter B). 5 or 7. 6 mathematically makes less sense.

Because the only way there are draws today is if judges score draw rounds, there would be draws even if there were no draw rounds given if there were 6 judges. (3 judges scoring it for figher A, 3 judges scoring it for fighter B). 5 or 7. 6 mathematically makes less sense.
Not sure what u mean. One judge can score it 10-9 and another scored same round 9-10 and thats 19 points. There can always be draws, and nothing wrong with that.

Wouldn't change anything. At all.

Neither would more knowledgable judges.

Neither would chaning the scoring system.

Neither would anything.

Well, except for changing the format to fighting untill a decisive win, but that's obviously not gonna happen.
What?

Not sure what u mean. One judge can score it 10-9 and another scored same round 9-10 and thats 19 points. There can always be draws, and nothing wrong with that.
Dude he's saying you don't have 6 judges, you need an odd number. That's why we have 3 and not 2 or 4 judges.

Dude he's saying you don't have 6 judges, you need an odd number. That's why we have 3 and not 2 or 4 judges.
Sure but my point isn’t about draws. Its about making the scoring better so there are less, zomg diaz 1-3-4.

judging has been atrocious in mma, this can really fix the problem because now we can see what the scores are as the fight goes on, it gives fans and fighters more understanding of whats going on.

Sure but my point isn’t about draws. Its about making the scoring better so there are less, zomg diaz 1-3-4.

judging has been atrocious in mma, this can really fix the problem because now we can see what the scores are as the fight goes on, it gives fans and fighters more understanding of whats going on.
Or maybe you just fight to the best of your ability and win the round? If a fighter knows he's up 2-0 heading into round 3 he can just coast

What what? Fans would always find stuff to make it seem like a robbery.
Of course, thats in all sports. However, this scoring idea will help fighters and their teams, while giving fans the knowledge of whos ahead. Knowing what is the current score fighters can adjust their game. Like if their takedowns aren’t giving them the 10s, they will adjust.

I never understood why having a surprise score at the end was even an idea. Its a stupid boxing thing and it carried over to mma.

Or maybe you just fight to the best of your ability and win the round? If a fighter knows he's up 2-0 heading into round 3 he can just coast
Yes, and that means the opposing fighter has been losing and needs to win decisively. Force a 10-8 or 10-7, or maybe what they always tell a fighter when he’s down 2-0, finish the fight.

Of course, thats in all sports. However, this scoring idea will help fighters and their teams, while giving fans the knowledge of whos ahead. Knowing what is the current score fighters can adjust their game. Like if their takedowns aren’t giving them the 10s, they will adjust.

I never understood why having a surprise score at the end was even an idea. Its a stupid boxing thing and it carried over to mma.

Surprises are fun.

Ever watched amateur boxing, like at the Olympics, where you can follow the exact score at the screen while watching the fight? That's a huge distraction, and you're just sitting there, waiting for the next punch to land and the on-screen scores to change.

Now, your idea isn't that extreme, but still a step in the wrong direction, imo.

Yes, and that means the opposing fighter has been losing and needs to win decisively. Force a 10-8 or 10-7, or maybe what they always tell a fighter when he’s down 2-0, finish the fight.
In theory yes, but let me tell you, that will be one of the worst 3rd rounds you could ever imagine my guy

- More judges might be a good idea. Perhaps you have 5 judges, drop the two most extreme scorecards (one in each direction), and go with the remaining 3. Or some other iteration.

- There should be checks and balances, whereby aggrieved fighters can appeal bad decisions. For example, if a certain percentage of media row (e.g., 75%) disagree with the outcome, then the fight is reviewed and scored by new judges.

- There needs to be more accountability for bad judges. They shouldn't be able to keep their jobs if they're clearly incompetent and/or corrupt. For example, if a judge has a certain number of his/her scorecards appealed pursuant to my above suggestion, then that judge is brought before the commission (in a public hearing) just like offending fighters are currently brought to account.

Back