Max Holloway Says WWE Colby Didn't Properly Follow The WWE Playbook

ReadWrite

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
None of Covington’s behavior would have been out of the ordinary but for his recent admission that most of it was merely an act. Like a pro wrestler breaking kayfabe, he told conservative media personality Candace Owens that his two-year campaign of verbal combat was all a ploy to get noticed after the UFC threatened to end his octagon career.

To Covington, it was a perfectly logical response to a tough spot. But to the champs fighting in earnest to protect their gold, it was a head-scratching move for a guy who’d turned himself into the UFC’s biggest heel. Featherweight champ Max Holloway noticeably reacted when the Edwards interview was broached during his interview panel.

“If you’re going to put up an act, I think you’ve got to stay with the act. When you retire, like WWE guys, they do their stuff, and they keep that act no matter where they’re at, and then when they retire, then they talk: ‘Oh, it was an act.’”

https://www.mmafighting.com/2019/12...-colby-covington-admitting-act-behind-persona

Last edited:
Yea, breaking character imo makes no sense in this situation. People with even the slightest bit of brain power knows he's just putting up an act for business.

Yea, breaking character imo makes no sense in this situation. People with even the slightest bit of brain power knows he's just putting up an act for business.
It also just gets confusing because now we have to ask if we’re listening to real Colby or fake Colby at any given time.

For all the mess that Covington has started with his gimmick. Wish he would have gone full Stone Cold, beertruck/bath and giving Dana a stunner to keep him in line.... :)

Maybe he realized he went too far with the remarks on Usman's dead coach?

Max knows what's up.

In Watching the ufc fighter panel interviews released yesterday. Colby said I'm the realist fighter here. This is a few days after the candace owen interview...

Had me scratching my head. Dont think even colby knows the gameplan

I agree with Max, Colby for as much as he's trying looks less the confident and a little shaky under questioning when it comes to talking about his whole persona. You can see he's starting to struggle with Chaos character and how to play it 24/7 or put it on part-time..?

Don't matter Usman will close the curtains on it clock ticking...

Colby has definitely put himself in quite a tough situation and it looks like he can hardly handle it.

This isn't 1987. Kayfabe is dead.

A now retired HOF wrestler, went through majority of his career separating Edge, his character from himself in public.

The suggestion "real WWE wrestlers" dont break character till they retire hasn't been real for.. decades.

My cousin has this theory that it’s so bad, and he’s doing everything wrong, that’s it’s actually kinda working. He has a point.

I mean, think about it. We have threads about his crazy statements and antics, then threads discussing whether his beef with Jorge is legit, then threads discussing to what degree it’s an act.

We’re talking a lot about him. And that’s good for Colby

Still hope he gets punished for his behavior...

The other kids do.

Meh. I understand why it makes sense to keep up the heel persona for the duration of his career, but to have the idea that you aren't allowed to stop once you've started is a little silly. A bit of honesty and vulnerability could end up making him more likeable.

It also just gets confusing because now we have to ask if we’re listening to real Colby or fake Colby at any given time.
Conor bounced back and forth and only a retard wouldn't have been able to tell which was which

I'd say Max's understanding of how to play fake in public is dated --- going meta / breaking the 4th wall is a fairly common, modern way to juice up played-out narratives. Colby was hitting diminishing returns on his heel methods (perhaps even on the first day he did them!), so adding a twist makes sense.

Whether Colby does it well is another story. I'm actually curious if this helps him or is a no-op.

Colby isn't a fan favorite, but hes getting talked about, so its working.

Who is talking about Leon Edwards or Ponzinibbio for example? fucking nobody.

All Colby needs to do now is translate that kindle into a fire by having 1-2 big fights. Just look how Jorge went from a nobody to a star from just 2 fights.

If Colby goes out there and completely starches Usman and then cuts a big promo, he will be a star. He just needs a compelling victory now. Hes already laid the groundwork.

Did he break character? Is he not sporting maga hats and touting trump anymore?

Read the article about him on ESPN.

He openly says the guys in the gym (some of them Brazilian) know it's an act and he has to transform when the cameras are on. Deep down they know who he truly is.

The whole character thing seems to be taking a toll and he wants to tell someone. Should have thought of a better character.

Salty Max doesn't have the thickness to be a pro wrestler.

02_hornswoggle_milestone_01.0.jpg

Colby isn't a fan favorite, but hes getting talked about, so its working.

Who is talking about Leon Edwards or Ponzinibbio for example? fucking nobody.

All Colby needs to do now is translate that kindle into a fire by having 1-2 big fights. Just look how Jorge went from a nobody to a star from just 2 fights.

If Colby goes out there and completely starches Usman and then cuts a big promo, he will be a star. He just needs a compelling victory now. Hes already laid the groundwork.
Jorge finishes people in spectacular fashion and has charisma, Colby is a pillowfisted humper with thr charisma of an autistic retard.

Back