With 4 seconds left Rosenstiuck would not have had time to follow up with strikes on Overeem

Not A Real Fan

Deep State Agent assigned to monitor Sherdog
Banned
Reaction score
This is not an argument about whether the stoppage was good or not. It's against the notion that Rosenstricuk would have kept on attacking if the ref had not waved off the fight.

As you can see, Rosenstricuk was on the other side of cage with his back turned and hands down. He assumed the fight would have been stopped. In his mind, there was no reason to turn around. Thus if the fight wasn't stopped the four seconds would have ticked away without him facing his opponent. Even had he realized, I doubt he could have rushed across the cage and connected cleanly with Overeem in just four seconds. Rosenstricuk could have easily lost the fight.

that's where the debate came in. In that 4 seconds he could have landed 7 more brutal shots to Overeem's busted face... and Dan woulda been under fire for not stepping in when he was dropped.

Many defensive lineman that play football, typically much larger than a ufc fighter, can run 40 yards (almost half a football field) between 5-6 seconds. A lot can happen in 4 seconds

Dan came running when Reem fell like a tree, Roz seen that and clearly turned away

Its arguable if Dan stood still, that same 4 seconds wouldve been nasty

to me it doesnt matter if he could cover the distance in time, reem was on skates even when he got up. if jairzinho wanted to follow up he would do it instantly, it only needed one more punch for complete lights out, than everybody would be complaining fight was stopped too late. if the fight weren't stopped there would be people complaining that jairzinho was robbed

Overeem could have literally gotten killed in those 4 seconds. Some of you are sadistic, the man was done, the right call was made, let it go.

I mean was there really 4 seconds on the clock when reem landed on his ass

Ignore my dumb ass I didn't read

The fight would've ended in a draw anyways..... That was a 10-7 round.

It was a bit of a weird situation because Ros did the walk away, which technically meant the fight was still on. However, he could've followed up immediately, so in a way he forgave Reem's life. Therefore, I don't mind him getting the win. Let's be thankful he didn't do this:

giphy.gif

The fight would've ended in a draw anyways..... That was a 10-7 round.

one knockout doesn't make a round 10-7 , not even in boxing

ref probably shouldn't of stood back up in retrospect and stayed on his back / guard position

If you get KO'd or beaten up badly in the final round, you should never be given an opportunity to be saved by the bell, and win the fight based on the judges' opinion. Just my opinion.

I would prefer the following rules; fight to the finish. If there is no finish, then we go to 1 extra round. If there is no finish in the extra round, then the fight should be declared inconclusive.

If we must score the fight, then in my ignorant and limited opinion this is how the fight should be scored:
Round 5 should be worth 50% of the fight. Meaning, the fighter who wins the final round at worse gets a draw and at best gets the victory. In comparison, a fighter who loses the final round at worse loses and at best gets a draw. Round 4 should be worth 25%. Round 3 should worth 12.5%, and Round 2 and 1 should be worth 6.25%. In a 3 round fight, Round 3 will be worth 50% of the fight, Round 2 and 1 will be worth 25% each.

These scoring systems will prevent fighters from thinking "I won the first 3 or 2 rounds, so I will just avoid the fight and get the decision," because they will have to win Round 5 or 3 in order to win the fight.

Conclusion, a fighter who loses the final round should NEVER be declared the winner of a fight. It simply isn't realistic. In real life, if you lose the final round, then you may never live to fight again. LOL

This is not an argument about whether the stoppage was good or not. It's against the notion that Rosenstricuk would have kept on attacking if the ref had not waved off the fight.

As you can see, Rosenstricuk was on the other side of cage with his back turned and hands down. He assumed the fight would have been stopped. In his mind, there was no reason to turn around. Thus if the fight wasn't stopped the four seconds would have ticked away without him facing his opponent. Even had he realized, I doubt he could have rushed across the cage and connected cleanly with Overeem in just four seconds. Rosenstricuk could have easily lost the fight.

Look, i don't want to leave you with too many doubts so, just imagine that were not 4 but 30 seconds left, what would have happened in your opinion?
Relax now, and go back in your happy world, it's all good buddy.
:)

It doesn't matter how much time was left imo. If you decide the guy is done before the bell and there's 4 seconds left,then that's that.

Only because his back was turned and he wouldn't have had the time nor the opportunity to finish him had Dan told him the fight wasn't over yet

If he had followed up on Reem immediately instead of turning his back though, he almost certainly would have finished the fight

It doesn't matter how much time was left imo. If you decide the guy is done before the bell and there's 4 seconds left,then that's that.
Right...i Was rooting for reem but a stoppage is a stoppage. We’ve certainly seen worse

Right...i Was rooting for reem but a stoppage is a stoppage. We’ve certainly seen worse
He was hurt already before the final blow hit. It's his own fault for getting pearl harbored like that right before the end.

Back