405 And Nothing Else Matters

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by lildog, Jul 12, 2010.

1. lildog

lildog A Warrior's Heart

Age = 29
    Height= 5'10
    Weight= 179
    Body-type=Ectomorph/Mesomorph...if thats possible

Gained a lot of weight in the past year. Around 25 pounds. I want to be a solid 185-190 and more important strong.
    Injuries/issues
    Tendon damage and Ulnar nerve pain. No insurance now, but likely some soon. PT to come, good news is its worked before so maybe again.

Big 3 Stats
    BP = 95lb DBsX1

DL = 265
    Squat = 265
    Goals
    275 B
    315 S
    405 D

Miscellaneous/Quirks etc.
    My left arm is on again off again nerve pain. I'm like fuck for now, ive had it for years. My legs are weak. Im trying to strengthen my hips flexors, legs, and power.

How much unilateral leg work is advised?

2. lildog

lildog A Warrior's Heart

I have 2 pull days and 2 press days and of course a squat day.

Brakes down like this.

Squat day

Squats 5/3/1 routine
    assistance work

Press Day 1

DB flat bench
    Inclined bench or close grip
    Overhead press

Pull day 1
    BW Pullups
    Deadlift
    DB Rows

Press day2

Strict Military Press
    Dips
    Superset exercises

Pull Day 2
    Chin ups
    T-Bar Rows
    Single hand cable rows
    Superset bicep work

**Want to fit in Sprints twice a week as well

3. gza

gza Banned Banned

is there a reason you just don't do 5/3/1 as written?

4. lildog

lildog A Warrior's Heart

I modify it, but still use the percentage breakdown and 4 week cycle to improve my basic lifts (Squat, DL, and Bench).

I guess im doing a hybrid BB program. But those lifts are the most important to me. I feel like having 2 pull days and 2 press days is simple and effective.

5. lildog

lildog A Warrior's Heart

Or maybe i should do this instead. Either way I feel like one pulling day isn't enough? In Stars 5x5 and 5/3/1 you are pressing more. Wouldn't that create imbalance? Also, i feel like i need some unilateral work for my left side especially.

Workout A

Squats
    Leg Press
    Lunges

Shoulder Press
    Shoulder Shrugs
    Superset
    Dips

Workout B
    Chin ups
    Rows
    DB Bench
    Inclined Bench
    Overhead Tricep

Workout c
    Pull ups
    Deadlift
    DB Rows
    T Bar Rows

6. Cmanuel

Cmanuel White Belt

Not necessarily. Madcow's (not bill starr, he didnt write the one that is floating around the internet) 5x5 is a fantastic program and it gave me some great strength gains back in 2007 when I ran it for a couple cycles.

531 is a fantastic program too but I think you aren't ready for its progression yet.

If you just want to get strong, why not just run Starting strength ---> madcow 5x5 ----> 531?

I did this exact thing back in 2007 when I started lifting heavy, and look where its taken me....

7. Gierrod

Gierrod Blue Belt

... Dude dont worrie about changeing routines to suit you with your current numbers i would just do Starting strength for afew months and get them numbers up.

8. lildog

lildog A Warrior's Heart

IF my goal is to have a 405lbs deadlift, what would a good goal be for the DB bench...210lbs?

9. cheez whiz

cheez whiz Brown Belt

I'll be right with you, lildog. I have the annoying PR of 395 in the DL and I need to erase that with a 405 too. Good luck!!!

10. lildog

lildog A Warrior's Heart

What does "PR" stand for?

Deadlifted yesterday and did a couple triple sets with 225lbs...my back felt like shit. My lower back and core i guess are weak. Any suggestions on how to improve other than more consistent deadlifting?

Pretty sad and weird really i can basically deadlift only slightly more than i can bench...:icon_sad:

11. cheez whiz

cheez whiz Brown Belt

PR = Personal Record, or in other words, your personal best.

In my opinion, your deadlift will improve best with exactly as you said - consistent deadlifting. Make sure you're using good form - study videos of guys who deadlift big weight - and make sure you get enough rest between deadlift workouts. They are taxing on your system.

If you feel your deadlift is limited by a single factor (weak grip or weak legs or weak lower back) you could do extra to work on those specifics, but again I believe they will improve best with continued deadlifting, provided your form is good and you work to progress in weight, reps, or both every workout.

12. lildog

lildog A Warrior's Heart

So if my lower back is weak and core then i need to do maybe hyperextensions and core stability work?

My glutes/ hamstrings are not strong by any means, but i think they are decent from squatting pretty regularly this past year.

13. Carongt

Carongt White Belt

Maybe a slight bit but not where its going to hinder you or make you even notice. I do the eclipse gym version of 5x5 in the FAQ's. They have pullups at the end of the Wednesday workout, but I just added pullups/chinups at the end of each workout in alternating fashion and it completely balances out pushing/pulling for every workout. And as far as deadlifts go you do them once a week in the program and go up 10 lbs each week so at the end of 1 cycle(2 months) you've increased by 80 lbs. which is pretty impressive. It includes Overhead press and only focuses on the main lifts and so far its worked great for me.

14. cheez whiz

cheez whiz Brown Belt

Your back will get stronger from doing deadlifts. I do hyperextensions on squat days. Others might have a different philosophy. You don't want to overwork you lower back, but that said, if your form is good, your lower back, glutes and hamstrings are a very powerful group and can take a lot of work.