lildog

A Warrior's Heart
@red
Reaction score
Age = 29
Height= 5'10
Weight= 179
Body-type=Ectomorph/Mesomorph...if thats possible

Gained a lot of weight in the past year. Around 25 pounds. I want to be a solid 185-190 and more important strong.
Injuries/issues
Tendon damage and Ulnar nerve pain. No insurance now, but likely some soon. PT to come, good news is its worked before so maybe again.

Big 3 Stats
BP = 95lb DBsX1

DL = 265
Squat = 265
Goals
275 B
315 S
405 D

Miscellaneous/Quirks etc.
My left arm is on again off again nerve pain. I'm like fuck for now, ive had it for years. My legs are weak. Im trying to strengthen my hips flexors, legs, and power.

How much unilateral leg work is advised?

I have 2 pull days and 2 press days and of course a squat day.

Brakes down like this.

Squat day

Squats 5/3/1 routine
assistance work

Press Day 1

DB flat bench
Inclined bench or close grip
Overhead press

Pull day 1
BW Pullups
Deadlift
DB Rows

Press day2

Strict Military Press
Dips
Superset exercises

Pull Day 2
Chin ups
T-Bar Rows
Single hand cable rows
Superset bicep work

**Want to fit in Sprints twice a week as well

is there a reason you just don't do 5/3/1 as written?

I modify it, but still use the percentage breakdown and 4 week cycle to improve my basic lifts (Squat, DL, and Bench).

I guess im doing a hybrid BB program. But those lifts are the most important to me. I feel like having 2 pull days and 2 press days is simple and effective.

Or maybe i should do this instead. Either way I feel like one pulling day isn't enough? In Stars 5x5 and 5/3/1 you are pressing more. Wouldn't that create imbalance? Also, i feel like i need some unilateral work for my left side especially.

Workout A

Squats
Leg Press
Lunges

Shoulder Press
Shoulder Shrugs
Superset
Dips

Workout B
Chin ups
Rows
DB Bench
Inclined Bench
Overhead Tricep

Workout c
Pull ups
Deadlift
DB Rows
T Bar Rows

Or maybe i should do this instead. Either way I feel like one pulling day isn't enough? In Stars 5x5 and 5/3/1 you are pressing more. Wouldn't that create imbalance? Also, i feel like i need some unilateral work for my left side especially.

Not necessarily. Madcow's (not bill starr, he didnt write the one that is floating around the internet) 5x5 is a fantastic program and it gave me some great strength gains back in 2007 when I ran it for a couple cycles.

531 is a fantastic program too but I think you aren't ready for its progression yet.

If you just want to get strong, why not just run Starting strength ---> madcow 5x5 ----> 531?

I did this exact thing back in 2007 when I started lifting heavy, and look where its taken me....

... Dude dont worrie about changeing routines to suit you with your current numbers i would just do Starting strength for afew months and get them numbers up.

... Dude dont worrie about changeing routines to suit you with your current numbers i would just do Starting strength for afew months and get them numbers up.

IF my goal is to have a 405lbs deadlift, what would a good goal be for the DB bench...210lbs?

I'll be right with you, lildog. I have the annoying PR of 395 in the DL and I need to erase that with a 405 too. Good luck!!!

I'll be right with you, lildog. I have the annoying PR of 395 in the DL and I need to erase that with a 405 too. Good luck!!!

What does "PR" stand for?

Deadlifted yesterday and did a couple triple sets with 225lbs...my back felt like shit. My lower back and core i guess are weak. Any suggestions on how to improve other than more consistent deadlifting?

Pretty sad and weird really i can basically deadlift only slightly more than i can bench...:icon_sad:

What does "PR" stand for?

Deadlifted yesterday and did a couple triple sets with 225lbs...my back felt like shit. My lower back and core i guess are weak. Any suggestions on how to improve other than more consistent deadlifting?

Pretty sad and weird really i can basically deadlift only slightly more than i can bench...:icon_sad:

PR = Personal Record, or in other words, your personal best.

In my opinion, your deadlift will improve best with exactly as you said - consistent deadlifting. Make sure you're using good form - study videos of guys who deadlift big weight - and make sure you get enough rest between deadlift workouts. They are taxing on your system.

If you feel your deadlift is limited by a single factor (weak grip or weak legs or weak lower back) you could do extra to work on those specifics, but again I believe they will improve best with continued deadlifting, provided your form is good and you work to progress in weight, reps, or both every workout.

So if my lower back is weak and core then i need to do maybe hyperextensions and core stability work?

My glutes/ hamstrings are not strong by any means, but i think they are decent from squatting pretty regularly this past year.

Or maybe i should do this instead. Either way I feel like one pulling day isn't enough? In Stars 5x5 and 5/3/1 you are pressing more. Wouldn't that create imbalance?

Maybe a slight bit but not where its going to hinder you or make you even notice. I do the eclipse gym version of 5x5 in the FAQ's. They have pullups at the end of the Wednesday workout, but I just added pullups/chinups at the end of each workout in alternating fashion and it completely balances out pushing/pulling for every workout. And as far as deadlifts go you do them once a week in the program and go up 10 lbs each week so at the end of 1 cycle(2 months) you've increased by 80 lbs. which is pretty impressive. It includes Overhead press and only focuses on the main lifts and so far its worked great for me.

So if my lower back is weak and core then i need to do maybe hyperextensions and core stability work?

My glutes/ hamstrings are not strong by any means, but i think they are decent from squatting pretty regularly this past year.

Your back will get stronger from doing deadlifts. I do hyperextensions on squat days. Others might have a different philosophy. You don't want to overwork you lower back, but that said, if your form is good, your lower back, glutes and hamstrings are a very powerful group and can take a lot of work.

Back