Why did no one know who Machida was in 2003-2005?

superpunch

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
He KOd Rich Franklin and beat BJ Penn. Those were huge names back then. How come know one, not even hardcore fans, had ever even heard his name before?

I get that he beat Franklin before Franklin became champ. But people should have looked at his record, seen he was KOd by this Japanese guy just 2 years before, seen that same Japanese guy beat BJ Penn and talked about him. But no one did.

Edit: Also, he was a karate guy back then. Karate was a joke back then. A karate guy, let alone a half Japanese Brazilian karate guy, beating Franklin and BJ Penn should have made some kind of wave in MMA discussions.

Machida isn't japanese....he's brazilian

He KOd Rich Franklin and beat BJ Penn. Those were huge names back then. How come know one, not even hardcore fans, had ever even heard his name before?

I get that he beat Franklin before Franklin became champ. But people should have looked at his record, seen he was KOd by this Japanese guy just 2 years before, seen that same Japanese guy beat BJ Penn and talked about him. But no one did.

Edit: Also, he was a karate guy back then. Karate was a joke back then. A karate guy, let alone a half Japanese Brazilian karate guy, beating Franklin and BJ Penn should have made some kind of wave in MMA discussions.

What are you talking about, we did know about him. It was even a meme.

Machida isn't japanese....he's brazilian
Duh, I'm talking about what a person would think just looking at records.

So he was a Brazilian karate expert with a Japanese name that had wins over Franklin and BJ Penn, back when karate was an absolute joke. That should have raised some eyebrows and been talked about.

Internalised bias against people who drink piss and eat beans.

New Title: Why was I the only person who didn't know who Machida was in 2003-2005?

Because most people were still casuals and if didn't happen in the ufc or pride, it didn't happen. I belive somewhere around that time valenijn overeem beat randy couture

Everybody knew who he was. Not sure where you're getting your info that nobody knew about him. He was billed as Antonio Inoki's protege, so people knew him, even before he beat Franklin or Penn.

Most hardcore fans knew of him, particularly due to his fight with Penn.

If I recall correctly, Machida was like 220lb for the fight and BJ was like 190 something........huge disparity and Penn looked like a whale. Penn actually held his own quite well in the fight, it was fairly close.

It was an internet inside joke ala rickson by armbar

Most hardcore fans knew of him, particularly due to his fight with Penn.

If I recall correctly, Machida was like 220lb for the fight and BJ was like 190 something........huge disparity and Penn looked like a whale. Penn actually held his own quite well in the fight, it was fairly close.

Some say Penn won that fight. I'm pretty sure BJ claims he thinks he won.

Sucks that new fans only know BJ from getting ko'd by a bar dude and not as a LW who fattened up to 190 to fight hw machida

Back