Has GSP ever been Taken Down?

Sansnom

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Or been put on his back in a grappling exchange?

I remember him being on his back when he got kicked in the head by Condit but I can't recall ever seeing him get taken down.

If my memory is right, he ended up on his back at one point in the Alves fight and I remember Rogan commenting on how it was the longest time we've ever seen GSP on his back. But I can't remember how it happened or if it even was against Alves...

Any idea Sherbros?

I remember people assuming he'd have a tough night facing Koscheck where he has a college wrestling background.

Last edited:
Hendricks landed a trip/took advantage of a GSP slip and ended up on top in round 4.

Koscheck double legged him across the octagon and won the first round

g6.gif

Hendricks landed a trip/took advantage of a GSP slip and ended up on top in round 4.

Looked like a slip to me, but yeah, hendricks got about a minute of top control from it. He took GSP down in round one too, but didn't secure position and gsp popped back up a few seconds later.

*edit*

It's a shame he's retired. He still trains and looks like he's in great shape. I bet he could have had a couple more great performances :/

Koscheck double legged him across the octagon and won the first round
Came to say that. Koscheck is underrated now because he's an unlikeable asshole, but he was at the top of the division for a while. Tapped Crumble Johnson in a great display.

Or been put on his back in a grappling exchange?

I remember him being on his back when he got kicked in the head by Condit but I can't recall ever seeing him get taken down.

If my memory is right, he ended up on his back at one point in the Alves fight and I remember Rogan commenting on how it was the longest time we've ever seen GSP on his back. But I can't remember how it happened or if it even was against Alves...

Any idea Sherbros?
It was alves

fitch spent some time on top of gsp, but i dont think it was from a takedown, it was from a sweep or transition or something.

hughes took him down, cant remember which fight, but gsp popped back up.

He’s been taken down, I think what impressed us about George was his outstanding wrestling abilities despite not having a wrestling background...seriously his wrestling was just amazing.

Kos and Hendricks took him down.
Good call. I wasn't sure about the Koshchecks fight but do remember GSP landing takedowns in both.

giphy.gif

Wasn't certain about the Hendricks fight either.

Come to think about it, he did get taken down in the first Hughes fight also. When he got submitted.

GSP spent a lot of time on his back against Alves in the 4th round because he tore his groin
can't remember how he got there tho, now i'll have to go and watch it

okay so what happens is that GSP takes Alves down, GSP in half guard going for an arm triangle, Alves scrambles out out of and ends up in a turtle position, GSP tries to take the back but is too high and doesn't get the hook in so he slips off and ends up on bottom. no takedown

Last edited:
Came to say that. Koscheck is underrated now because he's an unlikeable asshole, but he was at the top of the division for a while. Tapped Crumble Johnson in a great display.
Kos isn’t underrated. His wrestling was at the very top of WW in his time and his grappling was excellent too. Where he lacked was striking (and striking defense). GSP went into jab cruise control in that fight. Kos continued to run head first into GSP’s jabfest, as he continued to spam and whiff his shitty overhand right.

He’s been taken down, I think what impressed us about George was his outstanding wrestling abilities despite not having a wrestling background...seriously his wrestling was just amazing.
Agreed. We've never seen anything like it, where a non wrestler ends up out wrestling high end wrestlers. We've seen guys with no striking back grounds become great strikers (TJ, Hendo, Jones, DC etc), but really never the other way. All the great wrestlers in MMA have great bases on them, from Jones, DC, Askren, Khabib and Cejudo. Chael commented on how he did not have as many amateur wrestling techniques as the high level guys, but the things he did well he did as good as anybody. Aldo, the way he mixed it up, was able to disguise TD's was incredible. I bet a guy like Kos would outwrestle him in a straight wrestling match, but when you add in everything else from MMA, GSP got the better.

Condit landed a nice switch on from what I remember.

Kos isn’t underrated. His wrestling was at the very top of WW in his time and his grappling was excellent too. Where he lacked was striking (and striking defense). GSP went into jab cruise control in that fight. Kos continued to run head first into GSP’s jabfest, as he continued to spam and whiff his shitty overhand right.

The takedown was from their first fight not the second.

Agreed. We've never seen anything like it, where a non wrestler ends up out wrestling high end wrestlers. We've seen guys with no striking back grounds become great strikers (TJ, Hendo, Jones, DC etc), but really never the other way. All the great wrestlers in MMA have great bases on them, from Jones, DC, Askren, Khabib and Cejudo. Chael commented on how he did not have as many amateur wrestling techniques as the high level guys, but the things he did well he did as good as anybody. Aldo, the way he mixed it up, was able to disguise TD's was incredible. I bet a guy like Kos would outwrestle him in a straight wrestling match, but when you add in everything else from MMA, GSP got the better.
Some of the takedowns he got were just amazing as well, he also showed moments of absolutely amazing TDD, I feel like his striking got worse from all that wrestling but his striking was still top notch, even as a wrestler he utilized that jab beautifully.

Back