Khabib Nurmagomedov criticizes UFC for lack of Russian promotion

KazDibiase

"My style is kneeing people in the face."
@Silver
Reaction score
This Saturday night on April 20, Saturday morning for everyone stateside, the UFC will return to Russia for their sophomore event in the country.

In September 2018, the UFC debuted in Russia by touching down in Moscow for the event that was headlined by Mark Hunt and Alexei Oleinik. This time around for UFC Saint Petersburg, the event will also be headlined by heavyweight action as well as the aforementioned ‘Boa Constrictor,’ Oleinik.

As fun of a first card as it was and as this next one looks to be, first and only UFC champion from Russia in the promotion’s history, Khabib Nurmagomedov, doesn’t believe that the events and fighters have been quite getting the respect that they deserve.

“It seems to me that after the event in Moscow there were all the same people, all the same media that were,” Nurmagomedov said in a fan Q&A at an M-1 Apeha event in Saint Petersburg. “UFC fans are watching, but I know that most people don’t even know that they are doing UFC in Russia. 20 April, Magomed Mustafaev will fight with a new guy (Rafael Fiziev), no one even knows about this fight. Or [Alexei] Oleinik vs. [Alistair] Overeem. Why not show or promote it?

“On the first event [Mairbek] Taisumov, [Rustam] Khabilov, Omari Ahkmedov fought. Taisumov has five victories in a row. Khabilov has several wins. But they didn’t even participate in any media events or promotion. [Nikita] Krylov participated, who returned after being fired. Petr Yan participated who was conducting the second fight in the UFC. I think the UFC should have a different policy. UFC need to pay attention to our fighters.”

As for the currently suspended Khabib Nurmagomedov himself, he is eyeing a September 7 return in either the US or Abu Dhabi for a title unification bout with the newly crowned interim champion, Dustin Poirier.

https://www.bjpenn.com/mma-news/ufc...criticizes-ufc-for-lack-of-russian-promotion/

Last edited:
I have to agree. I read / watch Russian news on the daily and nobody seems to know / give two fucks about this event.

Fighters are mostly responsible for promoting themselves

Khabib happens to be very good at self promotion without even trying...for many reasons

And the dynamic between Russians and Dagestanis is something i won't pretend to understand but am pretty sure it plays a role

I guess my question is what do fighters expect UFC to do? I get that ufc IS a promoter...but fighters are independent contracters at the end of the day....

I have to agree. I read / watch Russian news on the daily and nobody seems to know / give two fucks about this event.
A Russian card that doesn't feature Khabib (or to a lesser extent Zabit) will do that...

What’s to promote about Russians who speak broken English? Not tryna be a prick but how is Oleinik marketable

Khabib was only a little marketable pre McGregor because he was a devout Muslim and undefeated

The others? Nothing there.
Sad but true

I was gonna say, most of the Russians like Alexey only gonna be popular with people who follow MMA closely and can appreciate the skill, all casual fans (not insulting them btw) want is a big KO or someone who talks a big game, which the Rus can't do when it's their 2nd language

Don't call yourself any kind of combat fan if you don't know or appreciate the Russian fighters.

Definitely the UFC's fault for not being popular in Russia.... All that PPV money missed.

How can the UFC promote in Russia when the Russian media are too busy posting propaganda shit on their media outlets nearly 24/7.

Russian in terms of GDP isn't that big. I think the IMF dropped them to a medium wealth country. I think state of Texas is higher than Russia in terms of GDP. If anything UFC should try to court China and try to break in that market.

Don't call yourself any kind of combat fan if you don't know or appreciate the Russian fighters.

if you look at boxing right now...there are literally so many russian guys that are world champions...it's crazy...

Dana doing his due diligence to avoid any form of collusion

They should book the rematch against Conor with Khabib in Russia 2020 or against Ferguson

This guy is never going sale ppv's like Mac, unless he's fighting Mac. He's so fucking stupid he's doesn't realize this. Seriously, how fucking dumb are they to not see this.

Back