Khabib Nurmagomedov criticizes UFC for lack of Russian promotion

Had the original main event stayed intact they probably would have promoted it better. I don't think the UFC cares all too much about Alexey though.

Khabib willfully sitting out as LW champion criticizing the UFC on a Russia card. That is rich!

giphy.gif

A Russian card that doesn't feature Khabib (or to a lesser extent Zabit) will do that...
or Fedor ;) Russians will always tune in for Fedor.

Petr Yan is getting popular tho. Should have been on this card.

Frankly, UFC doesn’t need any promotion in Russia. The event will be sold out regardless

Russian in terms of GDP isn't that big. I think the IMF dropped them to a medium wealth country. I think state of Texas is higher than Russia in terms of GDP. If anything UFC should try to court China and try to break in that market.

Many people don't realize this. Russia projects as a global power but it is relatively poor. The GDP is something in the course of 1/20th of America and indeed the state of Texas has a much bigger economy than the country of Russia.

Russia is pretty much small potatoes.

Had the original main event stayed intact they probably would have promoted it better. I don't think the UFC cares all too much about Alexey though.
Well maybe he is not that easy to promote now for a casual Russians. "Here, Alexey Oleynik, citizen of Ukraine and Russia who trains and lives with his family in USA and is banned from entering Ukraine".

Many people don't realize this. Russia projects as a global power but it is relatively poor. The GDP is something in the course of 1/20th of America and indeed the state of Texas has a much bigger economy than the country of Russia.

I can understand why there isn't any interest in setting up MMA fights there. There are also time zone differences that will surely kill a PPV. They are at least 7 hours ahead and I am not sure if they are willing to hold an event in an odd time to accommodate US PPV sales. It's pretty good that they are getting a fight night already.

Self serving greedy politicians will do that :(

This guys ego has inflated so much since the McGregor bout it’s ridiculous.

He thinks by beating Conor, he also stole McGregor’s thunder and marketability. He hasn’t. He needs to be quiet and fight.

if you look at boxing right now...there are literally so many russian guys that are world champions...it's crazy...
All 4 champions at light heavyweight are from former soviet blocks.

This guy is never going sale ppv's like Mac, unless he's fighting Mac. He's so fucking stupid he's doesn't realize this. Seriously, how fucking dumb are they to not see this.

This guys ego has inflated so much since the McGregor bout it’s ridiculous.

He thinks by beating Conor, he also stole McGregor’s thunder and marketability. He hasn’t. He needs to be quiet and fight.

shut the f@#k up

Self serving greedy politicians will do that :(

It is a lot of factors, but that is certainly a big one.

I'm always confused by how many people around here don't realize what a small market Russia is with regards to the UFC.

shut the f@#k up
It's a bit of the sad truth though. It is unfair but I don't think you beat the guy doesn't mean you are going to sell more. Irish in recent American history aren't painted in a bad light and there is familiarity with them. Mcgregor also changes his cadence and accent to speak with US press. In short, he did a lot of extra work to promote himself.
Khabib is courting a non PPV buying audience. It would be kinda cool if Russian or Muslim celebrities showed up to his fights to show support but I doubt that will happen.

UFC doesn't promote the Fight Night events that much

hell even some of the PPV's don't get alot

promotion cost money

the UFC has no marketable Russians since they let Lord Lobov leave.

Khabib vs Poirer
Zabit vs Holloway or Volkanovski
Artem vs Tsugugov or whatever his name is

that would be a pretty good Russian Card.

How can the UFC promote in Russia when the Russian media are too busy posting propaganda shit on their media outlets nearly 24/7.
.....That would make it if anything, easier to promote in Russia.

Russian in terms of GDP isn't that big. I think the IMF dropped them to a medium wealth country. I think state of Texas is higher than Russia in terms of GDP. If anything UFC should try to court China and try to break in that market.

Purchasing power parity matters.

Setting up a UFC event in Russia will be cheaper than in the US as well, so they can still be very profitable.

Back