UFC 236 has a main event (or co-main?) Now when will it get a venue?

When will the location be announced

• Total voters

Meathead Jock

WAR ASKREN
@Gold
Reaction score
Less than 2 months away, this feels like uncharted territory.

GOAT agent Ali has already hinted in a deleted tweet that the fight is in Atlanta.

They booked an event in Los Angeles with under a week to go. At this point they could say it will be somewhere in the USA up until the night before and I wouldn't be surprised.

There will probably be a press conference for Kelvin-Israel in the fight week of UFC 235 (which is next week).

Maybe King Conor shows up hehe.

Please let Maia-Silva 2 be the headliner if it's in Abu Dhabi.

It would think it would have to have a venue finalized in the next 24-48 hrs and tickets would have to go on sale by next wednesday with a little more than 6 weeks until the event. with Ali deleting the tweet about Atlanta, I would think that's a sign the promotion is still in the process of finalizing a venue.

I also think the magnitude of the main event would have a impact on the venue. Cowboy hinted on instagram that contracts have gone out for the April PPV date and July PPV date. I would highly doubt that they would stage a Cowboy-Conor fight in Atlanta. a main event of that magnitude would be better suited for MSG or Staples Center, which are both open for that date. Concerning MSG, UFC would just have to find a different venue for the weigh ins the night before with Billy Joel staging a concert in the arena- possibly weigh ins at the Hulu theatre.

my guess is the UFC is trying to build the card and see what materializes with the Cowboy-Conor fight contract to see what kind of gate can be generated and thus what arena 236 should happen at- whether it be MSG or State Farm Arena in ATL. Conor could be interested in taking a fight with less than 2 months to go considering his lack of desire for a promotional tour and has maintained he would prefer fights on short notice- remember the UFC 200 debacle. He also seems to be in training camp on social media

Attachments

• FF373F20-F58B-4ACB-983A-152989AB9454.jpeg
    FF373F20-F58B-4ACB-983A-152989AB9454.jpeg
    314.8 KB · Views: 6
Dude I really don’t care.

Dubai or NYC I’m not going to it. I will be watching it. No matter who is fighting. Is it different for others? I really doubt it.

vRs6ST7.gif

It would think it would have to have a venue finalized in the next 24-48 hrs and tickets would have to go on sale by next wednesday with a little more than 6 weeks until the event. with Ali deleting the tweet about Atlanta, I would think that's a sign the promotion is still in the process of finalizing a venue.

I also think the magnitude of the main event would have a impact on the venue. Cowboy hinted on instagram that contracts have gone out for the April PPV date and July PPV date. I would highly doubt that they would stage a Cowboy-Conor fight in Atlanta. a main event of that magnitude would be better suited for MSG or Staples Center, which are both open for that date. Concerning MSG, UFC would just have to find a different venue for the weigh ins the night before with Billy Joel staging a concert in the arena- possibly weigh ins at the Hulu theatre.

my guess is the UFC is trying to build the card and see what materializes with the Cowboy-Conor fight contract to see what kind of gate can be generated and thus what arena 236 should happen at- whether it be MSG or State Farm Arena in ATL. Conor could be interested in taking a fight with less than 2 months to go considering his lack of desire for a promotional tour and has maintained he would prefer fights on short notice- remember the UFC 200 debacle. He also seems to be in training camp on social media
Don’t you think conor makes much more money in July though that being international fight week in vegas

Less than 2 months away, this feels like uncharted territory.
Honestly this seems like the UFC's MO lately. They over-commit to events and then fail to plan appropriately and leverage fighters into signing bout agreements early.

This leads to situations where entire cards ride on a couple fights -- like Jones vs Gustafsson and Whittaker vs Gastelum. It's just stupid. They should run fewer PPVs each year, and stack them more.

Honestly this seems like the UFC's MO lately. They over-commit to events and then fail to plan appropriately and leverage fighters into signing bout agreements early.

This leads to situations where entire cards ride on a couple fights -- like Jones vs Gustafsson and Whittaker vs Gastelum. It's just stupid. They should run fewer PPVs each year, and stack them more.

i'm with you on this one

Don’t you think conor makes much more money in July though that being international fight week in vegas

yes, vegas at international fight week would be more profitable....but.....mcgregor has shown some distaste for fighting in Nevada in the past considering his dealings with the UFC and has commented on a preference for fighting in NY (if the commission allows it after last April's incident but they likely would). also fighting on international fight week comes with a good deal of promotion and going on the road to promote not just the fight but the entire weekend event as well which mcgregor is not a fan of at all. my feeling is that you'll still likely see mcgregor fight on that july weekend....ufc ideally wants more time to build up to and promote his fights, especially one as promotable as the cowboy fight

yes, vegas at international fight week would be more profitable....but.....mcgregor has shown some distaste for fighting in Nevada in the past considering his dealings with the UFC and has commented on a preference for fighting in NY (if the commission allows it after last April's incident but they likely would). also fighting on international fight week comes with a good deal of promotion and going on the road to promote not just the fight but the entire weekend event as well which mcgregor is not a fan of at all. my feeling is that you'll still likely see mcgregor fight on that july weekend....ufc ideally wants more time to build up to and promote his fights, especially one as promotable as the cowboy fight
Yea I think he will fight cowboy in July but yea he won’t do all the tour stuff or the fan expos and such he has done fight week before I think it was at 189 with mendes I could be wrong but that just makes a lot more sense for that fight

Yea I think he will fight cowboy in July but yea he won’t do all the tour stuff or the fan expos and such he has done fight week before I think it was at 189 with mendes I could be wrong but that just makes a lot more sense for that fight

yeah, I think that's the likely scenario even though I'd like to see conor fight ASAP. it's just difficult not to have the biggest fights in vegas

Back