What happened to WMMA's popularity?

ferrisjso

"Melodramatic" Historian
@Gold
Reaction score
I know I often do threads where I am sarcastic and ask rhetorical questions. This isn't sarcasm I'm honestly curious.

Back when WMMA started, womens 135 was the most popular division in the UFC did the best PPV numbers etc. In 2015 I took a break from MMA after the Jones stuff cause I'm primarily a 205 and 125 fan, then another after they stripped Jones's belt again. But now I come back and people are talking about WMMA like it's the WNBA and I looked at WMMA's PPV numbers and this shit can't hold a card like wtf happened? I guessing the answer is Ronda but 135 went from 1,000,000 to dropping a fucking 0 to 100,000. That's just such a crazy drop that we don't see when other popular fighters lose their divisions.

People used to beg for WMMA 145 so they could get Cyborg and they got it finally and it's doing less than 400k PPV's? Like wtf happened?

hqdefault.jpg

Joanna losing didn't help. And Rose doesn't fight much.

People loved the Cyborg vs Nunes fight.

Holly purple pillowed Ronda and lost it’s biggest draw

WMMA was never popular
Ronda Rousey was popular
and she still is. biggest draw in WWE

You have the few champions who seem to barely ever fight and Holly seems to rotate through title shots because there is so little talent. Nunes and Cyborg was a huge fight but is going to be the peak of WMMA for a looong time. I can't even think of any fights we should really look forward to from here. I do like that Chinese chick, too bad Rose doesn't fight so we could see that scrap.

I think you're overestimating how popular WMMA ever was.

I hate on it from front of crowd.

But Rachael is fine and I took the night off of bashing bc would wood.

Joanna losing didn't help. And Rose doesn't fight much.

People loved the Cyborg vs Nunes fight.

Yeah it was great, but it was second fiddle to Jones v Gus and I saw people commenting on WMMA not being popular and made me think why isn't this a main card when people used to beg for Cyborg to come to the UFC?

I think you're overestimating how popular WMMA ever was.

Maybe. But those early fights beat everything except Conor. When you're taking a break gives you insight into how popular fighters are to people who don't watch the sport often and besides Conor, WMMA and Ronda were huge.

A lot of WMMA fans felt stupid after Ronda got clowned twice after declaring her a 'once ever athlete'.

WMMA was never popular
Ronda Rousey was popular
and she still is. biggest draw in WWE

I get this. That drop in numbers was like just 90%. I assumed more of it had to do with guys wanting to see girls kick each others ass but 1m to 100k is just insane. Can't think of any other division that would be that screwed if the champ left.

A lot of WMMA fans felt stupid after Ronda got clowned twice after declaring her a 'once ever athlete'.

Didn't this happen to Tito though and Tito was a draw for a super long time after he was champ?

Why are you using this forum as a metic? This place is all about fanboyism.

lol, you said that 135 wmma was the most popular division in the UFC when it wasn’t at any point whatsoever

One fighter doesn’t make a division popular

WMMA was never popular. Gina Carano was popular. Ronda is popular, still a draw in WWE. WMMA as a whole was never popular.

Holm/GDR was a horrible fight for a fake belt, and yet it still did better than most recent male ppv's

upload_2019-1-20_18-25-38.png

People used to beg for WMMA 145 so they could get Cyborg and they got it finally and it's doing less than 400k PPV's? Like wtf happened?

And Cyborg v Holm did better than Cormier, Khabib, Aldo...

upload_2019-1-20_18-27-27.png

Back