Why Did Chael Sonnen Only Now Get His BJJ Black Belt?

ReadWrite

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Chael Sonnen receives Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu black belt

Three-time UFC title challenger and current Bellator heavyweight Chael Sonnen has got something new to celebrate. Over the weekend, “The American Gangster” earned his black belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu under the Gracie Barra branch in Portland, Oregon.

His rank was awarded by instructor Fabiano Scherner.

Congratulations to ADCC superfight winner @ChaelSonnen for his promotion to black belt!

Sonnen’s grappling background goes as far back in his collegiate years at the University of Oregon, where he wrestled and developed a Greco-Roman style. He went on to train in Gi jiu-jitsu in 2014 at Gracie Barra in Portland, and had not stopped ever since.

In 2017, he competed in a super fight at the Abu Dhabi Combat Club (ADCC) against world champion Leo Vieira in Espoo, Finland. Sonnen won via referee decision, but ended up losing in his next match against Craig Jones via heelhook.

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2019/1/...eives-brazilian-jiu-jitsu-black-belt-mma-news

SilvaSonnen117LinAOL-750x400.jpg

Sonnen's Nightmare

Heading into the fifth round, Sonnen led on the judges' scorecards (40–34, 40–36, and 40–35). At 3:10 into the final round, Silva caught Sonnen in a triangle armbar and made him tap out.

Sonnen likes Big Macs, not happy meals.

9 out of 16 losses via sub...

Dudes an awesome wrestler but his defense was bad.

If he just got a black belt now that means he's been training BJJ for at least 10 years.

A lot of pro fighters train no-gi. Gi and no-gi are different disciplines.

He got his bb in 4-5 years. That’s not bad

How come guys like Rashad and Chael have black belts, and even Conor has a brown belt, but they clearly suck at jui-jitsu? Or at least you never see them throwing arm bars or anything.

I have a feeling the coaches just level guys up due to time being put in, but that's stupid, because time doesn't always equal leveling up.

Black belt means nothing these days. It should mean you're dangerous like Nick Diaz on the ground or FFS you should at least be able to throw some Fedor style arm bars.

I would have mine too if I wasn't banned twice

maybe because it wasn't bought like many other fighters

How come guys like Rashad and Chael have black belts, and even Conor has a brown belt, but they clearly suck at jui-jitsu? Or at least you never see them throwing arm bars or anything.

I have a feeling the coaches just level guys up due to time being put in, but that's stupid, because time doesn't always equal leveling up.

Black belt means nothing these days. It should mean you're dangerous like Nick Diaz on the ground or FFS you should at least be able to throw some Fedor style arm bars.
I think you have to look more at who they are fighting. Out of all the black belts in the world they may be below or just average. So just because they are a black belt doesn't mean they are fairly matched with all other black belts. Although some of these guys have looked pretty clueless

lmao dude you're my troll hero now! hats off to you.
I respect your realization of where you stand with me.
If we met in person,you would lose in anything to me just like on this forum.
It's a quality to have and your time wont be wasted knowing that,unlike Chael

Wasn't Conor's from Kavanaugh's McDojo?

I respect your realization of where you stand with me.
If we met in person,you would lose in anything to me just like on this forum.
It's a quality to have and your time wont be wasted knowing that,unlike Chael

Definitely a troll. Not to mention making knowledge claims you can't possibly know.

Back