31 y.o female. Want to try boxing

Liz Ozwald

Ozwald off
@White
Reaction score
I know I know I’m very late to it but I have a few things on my bucket list I’d like to check off.
I love the competitiveness of the sport, the aggression the dog mentality. Kill or get killed vibe. mom 5’5, 170 lbs (my winter weight) and an arm reach of 68 inches. I used to have people randomly try to recruit me off the street to box, I regret not taking them up on it now.
what do you guys suggest or have advice on right now for me if I look into it?

Find a good gym that has fighters in it and try out some classes and let the trainers know your intentions of potentially competing over time. You should be able to do a smoker or amateur fight after some time if you still want to give it a shot.

Reactions: M4N
Find a good gym that has fighters in it and try out some classes and let the trainers know your intentions of potentially competing over time. You should be able to do a smoker or amateur fight after some time if you still want to give it a shot.
<PlusJuan>
This

Look for a gym without classes. Go for a traditional boxing gym. You show up and you have a trainer that you choose. You also pick your time. They work with you for an hour or so. You mentioned you are a mom so your time isn't going to be as flexible.

Find a good boxing gym to fix your form/teach you movement and defence and work out at home/a fitness gym as well.

You're starting late so you're going to have put in hard work every day to level up.

I started boxing at 40, so 31 sounds fine. I dont think there's anything wrong with a gym with classes when you're starting. Especially while you're getting your body into fight shape. In fact I'd probably recommend classes as an ongoing backstop while you find an individual trainer that works for you. (Saves cash too.) What you want to avoid is anything that looks like "boxerobics". You see a lot of this now because boxing IS great exercise but that kinda stuff won't prepare you to actually fight. I'd just make it clear that you want to spar and fight. If the gym has any hesitation about that then move on.

To play devils advocate, I think it's too late.
Sorry.
If you really wanna give it a try, all the guys above gave logical advice.
To play devils advocate,
my advice is to
be the best kill them all and train harder than last time. Actually train until you feel like you will surely die and then lay in the street for the night in the pourng rain and surely you will not fail.

Lot of good advice given above. The most important advice I can give besides what's been said is: don't wait or make excuses to get started no matter the path you take.

Back