"300" workout critique

wearealll1

Blue Belt
Reaction score
kind of old i know but i just stumbled upon it and it seems hard as hell. what do you guys think? Good for MMA or just for looks?

That seems pretty impossible, well maybe not

but no, that isn't very good.

That seems pretty impossible, well maybe not

but no, that isn't very good.

It's not I just did it last week it's in my journal.

I didn't like it I did the workout immediately after doing 100 ab wheel burpees ummmm good muscle endurance but as far as cardio there are better options, again it's ok for muscular endurance though.

It's not a workout per se, it's a test.

It's also been discussed here at length, and at Gym Jones website.

arent u suppose to do it as fast as you can? the guys tested at under 10 mins. how long did it take you quest?

Honestly I don't think I could even do the first 25x pull-ups haha

arent u suppose to do it as fast as you can? the guys tested at under 10 mins. how long did it take you quest?

It took me 14 minutes and I was absolutely spent. How the hell are people doing this in 10 minutes? Wow.

Honestly I don't think I could even do the first 25x pull-ups haha

hahah, relax not many people could do it either. the idea is to DO IT in that many sets you need (5x5 or 2x10 1x5...or whatever) and to go through whole workout that way. And take time, which will show you how good conditioned you are compared to whoever.
It is not training protocole, its a test. Nothing speciall, you could write down one yourself - 50 of this and 25 of that...bla bla

I decided that I needed additional strength training to complement my Muay Thai, so I started working with a trainer a couple weeks back. He put me through this yesterday afternoon for the first time, and it was absolute hell. I barely completed all the reps, had extensive rest in between exercises, almost blew chunks about halfway through, etc... etc... I was well over the 30 min target. Embarasingly over. I guess I shouldn't have been suprised, since I rarely do weight resistance exercises, but I thought my fight conditioning would have helped me fare better.

That said, when it comes to fight conditioning, I don't think it's going to be the best choice. To illustrate this, I had my trainer work a couple easy rounds on the bag when we were done... he finished the 300 test in about 18 minutes, but he gassed out after about a minute and a half of clinch knees on a 100 lbs bag. Well do four-minute clinch knee rounds on 150 lbs bags when conditioning for fights, and I can usually get through two before the third one gets hard.

I think these exercises will meet my goal of developing better functional strength, but I'm not going to let it replace my fight conditioning.

Not a chance there are times under 10min. Even if you look at the Gym Jones site the fastest was a little over 18min.

My best time is 20:47, full weight and reps.

I don't see myself getting passed the pull ups.
Yeah, I was pretty much done after the first 25x.

For the final 25x, my trainer let me use the assist machine. I weigh 190, he set the assist to 140, and I was still pretty much screaming to finish the last 10.

That was two days ago... I'm still sore. I went to the gym yesterday to do cardio, and substituted rowing for some of my jogging in an effort to help build up my back to meet the chin-up goal. I also did assisted pull-ups after finishing my cardio circuit. I've got four more days of working out before I'm scheduled to try the 300 again, and I'll be happy just to complete the reps - screw the time.

I do this workout about twice a month as my own personal test to see how I am doing. Its an amazing workout, covers every muscle in the body as well as make your lungs burn. I started out about 20 mins. per workout and totally spent. Now I can make about 12 mins. So it wouldn't surprise me that those guys at Gym Jones are under 10 mins. Those guys are beasts! Push yourselves

Back