• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

3 of the most violent slams from Pride FC

An underrated, oft-forgotten slam is when Wand slammed Sakuraba so hard he broke his collarbone to win the PRIDE MW title at PRIDE 17.

And then one of the most underrated displays of grappling dominance was courtesy of Sean Sherk in his lone PRIDE appearance - which is unfortunate because before he became the UFC LW champ I think that he could've had a very successful PRIDE run had they invited him back, but they probably knew that he'd be a nightmare for Gomi and Sakurai - where he absolutely mauled Ryuki Ueyama, slamming him multiple times and eliciting multiple comparisons to Rampage's violent style of wrestling.

Slampage had some beauties on Igor.

Y5zGkaXbq1qhRMaqdmYs_PmBhVHH89d0aEdeslD-pcU.gif

He also had some nice slams on Saku and Minowa.

An underrated, oft-forgotten slam is when Wand slammed Sakuraba so hard he broke his collarbone to win the PRIDE MW title at PRIDE 17.

And then one of the most underrated displays of grappling dominance was courtesy of Sean Sherk in his lone PRIDE appearance - which is unfortunate because before he became the UFC LW champ I think that he could've had a very successful PRIDE run had they invited him back, but they probably knew that he'd be a nightmare for Gomi and Sakurai - where he absolutely mauled Ryuki Ueyama, slamming him multiple times and eliciting multiple comparisons to Rampage's violent style of wrestling.

Forgot about the Sherk fight. It really hammers home what a weapon knees to a grounded opponent can be for a good wrestler with top control.

Since this thread is still going, and since I love going old school, and since Fedor the GOAT is on the list as the slammed rather than the slammer, here's my pick not for the most violent slam but for the slickest slam. Not bone-crushing or fight-ending, but so fast, so smooth, so technical, and so ego-crushing, that even without the violence it was still so demoralizing and was really the final nail in the coffin for his opponent: Fedor's suplex on Heath Herring in the fight that put him on the map as the newest and biggest threat in the HW division.

QwvwRR5.gif

And then with sound :cool:

Forgot about the Sherk fight. It really hammers home what a weapon knees to a grounded opponent can be for a good wrestler with top control.

Oh yeah. Coleman lost his headbutts in the UFC, but then he went to PRIDE and showed off his new GNP weapon by kneeing Igor into submission and Allan Goes into oblivion. Plus, going in the other direction, the sprawl-and-brawler striker gets the benefit of being able to punish wrestlers spamming TDs and knee from the front headlock, which both Igor and Heath Herring were able to do to Mark Kerr. I love elbows and I really hated that PRIDE didn't have them - just imagine Tito Ortiz or Matt Hughes without elbows, and imagine Rampage or Fedor with elbows! - but elbows are sort of "extra" while knees to the head on the ground always felt more "essential" to me, such a key weapon available from so many angles in so many directions from offense to defense, for wrestlers and strikers.

Here we are again reminiscing about MMA days of old ;)

reminiscing-good-old-day.gif

Had bob sapp won that night, Coupled with his wins over hoost: sapp had a claim at could have been best fighter ever if trained well

Since this thread is still going, and since I love going old school, and since Fedor the GOAT is on the list as the slammed rather than the slammer, here's my pick not for the most violent slam but for the slickest slam. Not bone-crushing or fight-ending, but so fast, so smooth, so technical, and so ego-crushing, that even without the violence it was still so demoralizing and was really the final nail in the coffin for his opponent: Fedor's suplex on Heath Herring in the fight that put him on the map as the newest and biggest threat in the HW division.

QwvwRR5.gif

Oh yeah. Coleman lost his headbutts in the UFC, but then he went to PRIDE and showed off his new GNP weapon by kneeing Igor into submission and Allan Goes into oblivion. Plus, going in the other direction, the sprawl-and-brawler striker gets the benefit of being able to punish wrestlers spamming TDs and knee from the front headlock, which both Igor and Heath Herring were able to do to Mark Kerr. I love elbows and I really hated that PRIDE didn't have them - just imagine Tito Ortiz or Matt Hughes without elbows, and imagine Rampage or Fedor with elbows! - but elbows are sort of "extra" while knees to the head on the ground always felt more "essential" to me, such a key weapon available from so many angles in so many directions from offense to defense, for wrestlers and strikers.

The wild wild west of MMA, RIP 1993-1999 c.
1718595169584.png

QwvwRR5.gif

The way Herrings legs fly up in the air, man Fedor was such machine.

It would have been great to see Sherk more in Pride. I think Gomi in his prime beats him but Sakurai didn't have as good of TDD. Sherk with grounded knees looked a lot more dangerous.

Sherk would've mauled Gomi. Shame the brief time both were still in the UFC they never crossed paths.

The way Herrings legs fly up in the air, man Fedor was such machine.

I've watched that sequence in video and gif form a million times, it never ceases to amaze. Heath tries but he just can't keep up with Fedor. He throws a kick and he doesn't even bring his leg back before Fedor's on him, he tries to go for a standing kimura when Fedor gets behind him and doesn't even notice that he's getting suplexed until he's already in the air. He was one or two steps behind Fedor the whole way. He showed guts at the end of the first round once Fedor started to slow down, but he took quite a beating. Then Fedor pulverized Nogueira and the rest is history...

It would have been great to see Sherk more in Pride. I think Gomi in his prime beats him but Sakurai didn't have as good of TDD. Sherk with grounded knees looked a lot more dangerous.

The real dream fight that we didn't get with him in PRIDE IMO was Sherk/Kawajiri. If we're going pure fantasy, I would've loved it if Sherk had been in the Bushido 9 tournament. But Kawajiri was a beastly wrestler at that weight and him and Sherk going head-to-head would've been a great lighter weight battle of powerful wrestlers. Kawajiri had the better striking but Sherk had the better wrestling IMO. No way that fight would've been anything less than an absolute barn burner.

As for Gomi, he was very well-rounded and he was long with a lot of reach for that weight class, but I don't see him being able to keep a prime Sherk off of him for 20 minutes, and I don't see him finishing Sherk. Kawajiri fucked up by kickboxing with Gomi and fighting Gomi's fight - much like how Sherk fucked up against BJ by standing in front of him instead of grinding him up against the fence and forcing him to play grappling defense rather than letting him play striking offense - but to Gomi's credit, Kawajiri took a shot at the bell and one or two more over the course of their fight and he never came close to taking Gomi down. Not saying Sherk would buzzsaw through him, he'd have to be careful on the feet and he wouldn't escape unscathed, but we saw the ungodly knees that he walked through against Franca in the process of mauling him on the ground. Not knocking Gomi, but I think that Sherk would've been able to get Gomi down more often than not and win a decision by grinding him down.

But then there also could've been Sherk/Hansen, Sherk/Edwards, Sherk/Buscape, Sherk/Azeredo, Sherk/Aurélio, Sherk/Imanari...

Sherk would've mauled Gomi. Shame the brief time both were still in the UFC they never crossed paths.

At that point, with Gomi losing to KFlo and Nate Diaz and Sherk starting to have injury problems, it wouldn't have been as special. At that point around 2010-2011, I would've preferred a Gomi/BJ rematch after BJ lost to Frankie.

At that point around 2010-2011, I would've preferred a Gomi/BJ rematch after BJ lost to Frankie.
I'd be willing to bet if Gomi had beaten Kenny we would've seen it. Gomi might not have been as well known compared to BJ but a win over KenFlo would've been his ticket to a rematch, IMO. True, Sherk and Gomi were both older but to see two former champions in the two biggest MMA organizations still would've had a special aura around it. Kind of like Couture and Big Nog or Chuck and Wandy.

Back